The brilliant AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coracle,

The problem is simply that insufficient time is spent refining gameplay versus all the other development tasks necessary to produce a game such as Civ3 in today's PC game environment.

The whole process is so big that it gathers momentum and goes out of control. Have you read what has transpired with Moo3?

Civ3 was a big money maker because of the marketing power of the Civilization and Sid Meier names. Firaxis only had to create a passable rendition of Civ. They didn't have to create anything new, good, or special. Whether they could have is debatable isn't it?

At any rate, Civ3 is what Civ3 is. I agree with you that the gameplay is, at its height, uninspired, and at its worse, unbelievably boring.

Maybe someone will create some decent gameplay and then build a game around it someday soon. Sid has done it quite a few times. Just because Jeff Briggs is not capable of such work doesn't mean we won't have anything to look forward to. We just need to be prepared to wait a few years or five.

The fact is that game makers can't live forever on past laurels.

Comment

i sometimes wonder why Coracle even bothers hanging around a forum for a game he seems to despise so much?!

why don't you find something better to do with your time?

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
        (I had modded the game so I wasn't restricted by Firaxis' stupid unit values and too few units, but tanks were still the best time to attack then).
        I wonder what this means. Methinks his game has been modded out of balance.

Comment

Just a question, which I think is related to this thread : does the AI upgrade units? I really wonder when I attack remaining bowmen during modern age.
          Nym
          "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Originally posted by Nym
            Just a question, which I think is related to this thread : does the AI upgrade units? I really wonder when I attack remaining bowmen during modern age.
            If you play the standard version of Civ3, bowmen can only be upgraded to longbowmen, and even the AI seems to know that the money for the upgrade would be wasted in this case.
            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by =DrJambo=
              i sometimes wonder why Coracle even bothers hanging around a forum for a game he seems to despise so much?!

why don't you find something better to do with your time?
              He can't.
              He is still playing Civ3.

How elese he would have "up to date" bashing info?

P.S.
              Anway, if Civ3 AI is "braindead", then try higher diffculty level.
              AI cheats can increase challanging factor and fun in that case.

Comment

Well, I personally think the game is fun, or at least incredibly addictive. I haven't played enought to learn all of the AI's tricks yet, though. When and if that happens, the game will lose a lot of its charm.

But by then Play the World will be out, with multiplayer. That will be the real fun.
                "God is dead." - Nietzsche
                "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM2433
                  But by then Play the World will be out, with multiplayer. That will be the real fun.
                  Indeed.

Comment

Working...
                  X