No announcement yet.

Shouldn't science come from taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Careful Zanthis, you may burst the stereotype bubble.
    Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

Wow...this actually had some potential to be a thread with some interesting discussion on something no one ever really thinks about, where we didn't go dragging each other's countries through the mud or anything.....how could we have come so far. *Places a certain nameless individual in the void the ignore zone* Anyway, go get 'im, Zanthis. A little truth never hurt anyone. *Drops this thread like a bad habit*

Comment

Originally posted by Zanthis

actualy thats not true...

From the office of budget managment:

Scroll down to table s-2 where it shows the total amount of money spent (outlays). The total spent on deffence in 2002 was 336 billion dollars, compaired to non defense discretionary, social security, medicaid, etc... it couls out to about 1.5 trillion dollers, almost 5 times as much as defense spending!!!
        Why is it that I get a Gambling.com pop-up window when I access your supposed link to an official US government web site? I realize that George W. is pro-capitalist, but I doubt very much if he's gone to that extreme. If you're intention is to hoodwink someone, you're going to have to do a much better job than that!

Comment

What the bloody hell are you talking about Willem? I understand you have some issues and an axe to grind, but jesus. That's a genuine government page.
          Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

Willem, you must be having a bad day...
            The popup appears every time (at least I believe so) you click on an http address in a post on Apolyton. I guess it is a deal Mark has with the sites promoted by the popups.

Comment

Originally posted by N. Machiavelli
              What the bloody hell are you talking about Willem? I understand you have some issues and an axe to grind, but jesus. That's a genuine government page.
              The first time I clicked on that link, I ended up with a pop-up for Gambling.com. After doing my own search, I ended up with the same page you listed, without the pop-up, so it's obviously legit. Either someone is linking to the US gov site, or I have something on my system that's pointing there when I click on your link.

Sorry for not believing you, but I no longer accept anything at face value if there's the least bit of doubt in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack
                Willem, you must be having a bad day...
                The popup appears every time (at least I believe so) you click on an http address in a post on Apolyton. I guess it is a deal Mark has with the sites promoted by the popups.
                You're probably right. That's the first time that's ever happened to me though, so it made me rather suspicious. It's not always healthy to believe everything you see or read, especially when it comes to the Internet!

Comment

Originally posted by N. Machiavelli
                  I understand you have some issues and an axe to grind, ...
                  And yes I have an axe to grind. I don't appreciate the fact that George W. is hell-bent on dragging the world into a war because of it's squabble with Iraq. Though I admit a forum such as this is not the place to stir up nationalist resentment.

And that's as much of an apology as anyone's going to get out of me until I start hearing the Bush administration making cooperative overtures to the rest of the world, instead of trying to force it's agenda on everyone else!

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

And yes I have an axe to grind. I don't appreciate the fact that George W. is hell-bent on dragging the world into a war because of it's squabble with Iraq. Though I admit a forum such as this is not the place to stir up nationalist resentment.

And that's as much of an apology as anyone's going to get out of me until I start hearing the Bush administration making cooperative overtures to the rest of the world, instead of trying to force it's agenda on everyone else!
                    If you want to talk politics, go to the Off-topic section, please. Don't highjack my thread!
                    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat

If you want to talk politics, go to the Off-topic section, please. Don't highjack my thread!
                      Sorry, I got a little carried away there.

Comment

In real life wealth is generated by the people in the form of goods and services. Goverments take a portion of that wealth in the form of taxes, tithes, tolls, tarrifs, etc. In games terms, I guess, those complex systems of wealth generation are represented simply by commerce and taxation represented by the ammount of gold your civ collects each tern (before paying for unit support, buildings ,etc). Your civ then pays mandatory (in the sence that if you don't pay, for it, you loose it) costs for units, buildings, other civs etc. Finaly, a portion of that wealth can be allocated to fund science, or create public works (art, theater, social programs, whatever makes people happy). The remainder goes into the treasurery for future use.

Fundementaly, the civ games take complex, real life institutions and boil them down to simplistic representations. Enjoyment of the game depends alot on the imagination of the user to invent what ever explinations seem suitable.
                        "It's not wether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get" -Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Zanthis
                          Fundementaly, the civ games take complex, real life institutions and boil them down to simplistic representations. Enjoyment of the game depends alot on the imagination of the user to invent what ever explinations seem suitable.
                          Agreed. But I don't think it would have been that complicated to implement. You don't have to change the game's fundamentals.

Cities would produce gold exactly the same way. No changes. Then, a certain % of it would go into taxes bases on the tax rate. Science, unit support, maintenance etc could only be used from the amount of gold that taxes took in.

The gold that is not taken by taxes, would be automatically put into luxuries. You would not even need the luxury slider anymore!
                          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Working...
                          X