No announcement yet.

After Playing an Early Build of Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joker: Maybe you should reprimand the leaders of your protectorate for the actions they take against the Zulus (..Yes, "reprimand" ), while stationing your units in their cities as "punishment". This way when the americans attack you, you can merely be defending yourself. This shouldn't upset your populace as much as a war of agression.

------------------
    - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
    Mars Colonizer Mission
    - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
    Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

This all sounds way too good! I like the idea of nameing the treaties and all that. I definitely want to see alot of diplomatic options. If i had it my way, there would be every little different type of diplomatic options (and some new options with different technologies). maybe in the diplomatic screen, you could have a folder with a certain type of diplomatic relation(and you can just check that if you want the general purpose) and within thoes folders, you could have specific treaties and options.... I also liked the embassy thing but there should be things like intelligence reports(for example for that tanker situation) and when you get satallites, you could chose spy satellites to patrol certain terrotories of the world.

Comment

Aw, raingoon, you got my hopes up for half a second that somehow the NDA's had been repealed and this was actually in Civ3. Very interesting ideas though, and certainly doable, though I have a bad feeling we won't see them...
        All syllogisms have three parts.
        Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Biddles:

Of cause! I hadn't thought of that!

SnowFire:

I sure hope you're wrong, though i am not at all sure...
          "It is not enough to be alive. Sunshine, freedom and a little flower you have got to have."
          - Hans Christian Andersen

GGS Website

Comment

from ideas spawned by other threads...

Blast! I forgot some of the complexities of this game. While I was seeking to expand my dominance and influence over Central America, I forgot to watch over some of my own cities. I had conquered a major part of the Iberian peninsula a century ago, and while I never fully integrated them into the nation (with full representation, goverment sponsored aqueducts, and so forth) I wasn't that worried as they were fairly passive. But now they've declared independence, and are under the protection of the Morrocans! All but one of my units has converted with the country, and that one has been asked to leave!They must have been planning this secretly for some time, since there is a Morrocan fleet there to enforce their wishes.
            That's it! I'm putting up some spy sattelites so they can't sneak up on me like this anymore.
            Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
            ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I can't believe you guys would let this one go!?!

Anyway, I once thought that I was doing good on my game, but now it's starting to suck. First the Morrocans made a secret treaty with on of my protectorates to help it break away from my empire, and as I mobilized my fleet to get them back (preparing to go to war with the Morrocans), there appeared a nice little war with one of our allies trying to take back one of Their protectorates. I would say just let them take care of their own problems, but the senate overrode my wishes and declared war to assist our allies. Sometimes I think the senate gets stupider every year! Democracy has great production bnuses, but is a real pain sometimes. I was about to change governments quickly to get them out of my way, but Noooo, that's the old way. I got a warning that the people didn't want to change governments right now, and changing now could cause a number of my own core cities to rebel. I would have to spend some turns preparing them with propaganda.
              In addition, a majority of my population are atheists, which isn't surprising since one of my citizens founded the atheist religion a couple thousand years back. But atheists are notoriously resistant to a fundamentalist government, which I would have preferred.
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Well, Beast, we "let it go" because of personal reasons. Neither Joker nor I were able to spend much time on our game with Raingoon and two other internet players. However, the custon AI modules we programmed with specific orders have been able to handle routine matters without botching the game for us.

We receive email summaries of AI actions and interactions with other civs along with the game update files. For three more turns I didn't have time to execute myself I simply changed two of the build queues in the AI module and countermanded some of the non-queued build decisions.

The email summaries are so complete as to be tiresome, but once you're used to it you can quickly page through them to find the data that is critical for the decisions you are making.

In continuing diplomatic relations with both Joker and Raingoon via email I managed to maintain my apparent innocence and secure a secret non-agression pact with the Jokers' Danes. Our AI's are given the appropriate commands to act accordingly, "CC'd" to each other's AI to help allay any personal distrust.

Now the others haven't had much simultaneous free time either, so we've all agreed to switch over to the PBEM mode until we can meet head to head with a majority of us online.

Comment

Beast:

I like your ideas, especcially the propaganda part.

don Don:

Having such AI options would make this game RULE!! It should also be possible to take your actions offline, and then just send everything you've done to the other players by email. This would make the game much easier to play multiplayer, as you could just decide with the other players that you made a turn per day. Only stuff like diplomacy would still need your online precense.
                  "It is not enough to be alive. Sunshine, freedom and a little flower you have got to have."
                  - Hans Christian Andersen

GGS Website

Comment

Working...
                  X