I wish I could put this in a more relevant place but its important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in favour of using hexagons.

Hexagons make movement regular. I guess it would be harder to use the keyboard for movement but most people tend to use the mouse anyway.

Not having any sort of grid makes the game super CPU intensive. In essence it needs to deal with each pixel. It also make things unnecessarily complicated (how long is a km?).
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

why does eveybody think that moving with hexes will be so hard...

use the keys like this

7 8 9
      4 5 6

7 is up to the left
      8 is up
      9 is up to the right
      4 is back to the left
      5 is back
      6 is back to the right

is there something complicated by that?

------------------
      The OpenCiv3 website
      korn469

Comment

It's not about complication, its about realism. There isn't enough realism in that hexagon system in my eyes.

And ok, Knight, I agree, someone needs to come up with a new system where you don't need tiles. I'll try hard to think of one.

Comment

korn469 - You're absolutely right. I had the same thought myself. I think it'll be mouse-based anyway, but those keys would be fine.

Loki - When you say that it doesn't have enough realism, I'm assuming that you think the current tile system is just as unrealistic...? If you couldn't have the system that you're hoping for, would you prefer square or hex tiles? Do you see one of them as being less realistic than the other?

Of course, my two cents says that hex is more realistic than squares, and no-tiles are (for all intents and purposes) unworkable. But I'm sure that was apparent already.

- MKL
          [This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited March 17, 2000).]
          - mkl

Comment

There's nothing inherently wrong with hexes or squares. Nothing that can't be overcome, IMHO. I think the main point is to get them onto a sphere. Hexes should work. Squares probably could too, with enough finaggling. You'd just have to use a semi-pyramid setup for each 1/4 or 1/8 of the globe, and have the main screen close enough to the earth so to the player the map looks flat or mostly flat (someone else mentioned this earlier).
            ---------------------

Theben
            Co-Moderator of the Civ3 Forums
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

BTW, Loki, how's your website doing?
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Which one? The Civ Suggest one?

If so, I haven't had a chance to get around to it, too much work. I'll put some more work into it later next week.

Fact, I can't get enough time to keep my Civ3 site updated, I can't be bothered either really. There just isn't any hardcore infomation. If there was I'd be straight on to it.

I have too much work though.

Actualy, if you like chatting, we have something coming up for everyone who likes to chat in irc. REALLY COOL IT IS

Comment

Working...
                X