Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused about Military Academy. I can't create an army after I built it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hurricane
    And that is why the Mil Academy is useless. The 200 shields (plus the cost of building the Mil Academy in the first place) are better spent on units directly.
    Ah, good thing I saw this. I got my first leader in months, then saved and quit after a few turns. I was going to build an army with him in order to get the academy - and then build more armies, etc. So basically, all it does is double the cost of your units to make an army of them. Are armies really worth that?

Maybe I'll go rush a forbidden palace somewhere instead...
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

Marquis,

The FP is a crucial thing to have - I'd say use your leader on that.

However, making an army with a leader allows you to build the Heroic Epic, which is the real payoff - 1/12 leader generation chance as opposed to 1/16. The military academy is really only worthwhile once you're industrialized. There are situations where having an army of 4 Cavalry or Tanks or Modern Armor is really useful (those make pretty good nutcrackers). But overall I agree it's not terribly important.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The way I fight, armies are very vital. I get a swarm of armies made up of 4 tanks or modern armor, and use those to take out enemy cities by droves without losing a single unit.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
          The way I fight, armies are very vital. I get a swarm of armies made up of 4 tanks or modern armor, and use those to take out enemy cities by droves without losing a single unit.
          Yes, but at the time you have modern armor you would win anyway.

Comment

Need a little more help with Army creation

I'm not sure what I'm missing here but I have a leader, he is in my captial and I want to turn him into an army. According to the posts on this thread there should be a option in the build que to create an army. There is not. I have posted a save with this so someone may be able to help. I don't know what else to do... I have a bunch of elites just bustin to go leader but I have to use the current one first. I am behind in techs so I don't have a wonder I can build except the FP. I am holding off on that until I expand to another continent so HELP!

Thanks
            Attached Files
            A penny saved today is a penny spent tomorrow. - MFDII

Comment

According to the posts on this thread there should be a option in the build que to create an army.
              Not according to any posts on this thread. That was for the Military Academy not for a GL.

Move the GL to any of your cities. If it can still move some more or the on the next turn, if you used up all its movement getting it there, there will be two buttons for the GL that are unique to GLs. One is a pile of bricks to hurry an improvement. The other is a bit less easily figured out as to what is supposed to be but its on top next the hurry button. That other button is the Create Army button. Just hit it and an Army will be created in the city imediatly. Then move any units want in the army to the city and hit the load button that is exactly the same kind of load button as you get for transports. An Army is essentialy a special purpose transport with a one way door. Units go in but they can't get out.

Comment

Re: Need a little more help with Army creation

Originally posted by Kindbud
                I'm not sure what I'm missing here but I have a leader, he is in my captial and I want to turn him into an army. According to the posts on this thread there should be a option in the build que to create an army. There is not. I have posted a save with this so someone may be able to help. I don't know what else to do... I have a bunch of elites just bustin to go leader but I have to use the current one first. I am behind in techs so I don't have a wonder I can build except the FP. I am holding off on that until I expand to another continent so HELP!

Thanks
                To turn a leader into an army works differently. You move him in to any of your cities, and click on the 'build army' icon at the bottom of the screen (or press the 'B' key). This creates an army into which you can load units.

Once your army has won a battle, you can build more armies without using leaders, once you have the nationalism tech (or is it military tradition, can't remember). There is the military academy small wonder, which you can build once you've had an army win a single battle (even if it was later destroyed). Once you've built the academy, then in *that* city you can build more armies; the army 'unit' will appear in the list of things you can build in that city.

So there are two different ways of building armies: the military academy, or using a leader. But your first army has to be built using a leader since you can't build the academy before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred An Army is essentialy a special purpose transport with a one way door. Units go in but they can't get out.
                  Eh, eh, great example Straight to the point, simple and amusing
                  "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                  - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Artifex
                    I lost my rulebook. So I don't know how it works. I assumed that you just move 3 units into the city with the academy and load them and you have an army. Kinda like loading onto a ship *shrug*
                    You assumed wrong.

Please explain to me exactly the process of building armies once you have an academy. Thanks.
                    You have correctly answered your own question, see quote below:

I just checked and army is on the build que. But says 200 turns? I didn't know you had to build them and they cost a ton of shields? So I should have placed an acedemy in a high production / low corruption city if that is the case.
                    Basically, there are two ways to build an army:

1. Use the GL

OR

2. Build the Military Academy which allow you to build the army unit. It cost 200 shields for each army, of course.

Comment

Yes!!.. i can't believe an Army takes 200 turns in this city how long did the academy take to build!!!

Another stoopid question is can you only build an Army in the same city as the acad?

if so you is stuffed mate.
                      If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected - SunTzu

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane

And that is why the Mil Academy is useless. The 200 shields (plus the cost of building the Mil Academy in the first place) are better spent on units directly.
                        High shield / low corruption city.
                        I've built army's in 9 turns.
                        The true nature of a man is shown by what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Comment

Re: Re: Need a little more help with Army creation

Originally posted by vulture
                          Once your army has won a battle, you can build more armies without using leaders, once you have the nationalism tech (or is it military tradition, can't remember).
                          The military academy comes with Military Tradition (and an army victory, of course!)
                          Wadsworth: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.
                          Professor Plum: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.
                          Wadsworth: Well your work has not changed.

Comment

I've Never built an army in over 20 turns!!

Its debatable about their usefullness i think it depends on your approach to CIV warfare, i use them on and off usually if i get a GL and am not building a wonder.
                            If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected - SunTzu

Comment

Originally posted by Lucarse
                              Yes!!.. i can't believe an Army takes 200 turns in this city how long did the academy take to build!!!

Another stoopid question is can you only build an Army in the same city as the acad?

Yep, stuffed he is... Armies can be built in the city with the Military Academy small wonder only (or created from Great Leaders).

Artifex rushed the Academy (built it in one turn using up a Great Leader), without being aware of that it will be next to unusable for him...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucarse
                                Not really! If he made the mistake and built the Military Academy far away from his core production cities, he could always disband that city, let his enemy conquer it, or give it to the AI which would destroy his Military Academy. Now, he can rebuild his Military Academy in his core cities.

Comment

Working...
                                X