No announcement yet.

Adult CIVIII players wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its silly to keep people out based solely on age. Beyond early teen years, maturity & decency have little to do with age and more to do with personal discipline. No matter how international you are, any restriction that excludes people based on unalterable differences (rather than choices and behavior) shows a fear of the unknown and an unwillingness to expand your comfort zone. what if you didn't let in homosexuals just because you personally believed they couldn't behave themselves? Or African Americans simply because you didn't think you had any shared interests? Age discrimination is no less predjudice even if it is more socially acceptable.

Comment

p.s. I am over 25.

Comment

Dan was 17(to take the youngest of the two) when we opened Apolyton and i hope you dont characterize our site as immature
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Are you sure the CGA, aka, Certified General Accountants, won't sue your ass off?

Look what happened the WWF
          AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
          Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
          Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

The ages of 18 and 21 are just as arbitrary as 25, 35 or 55. They are just chronological ages, after all.

If I ever get into on-line gaming, I may look into the CGA.

Comment

Why do I feel like my bigger brother won't let me hang out with his bigger friends?

Seriously though, its tough for us younger, mature gamers. It seems as though, however, that those who put in the time and paitence to learn and play Civ III, well, already demonstrate their maturity Being 17 stinks
              IT is certainly praiseworthy to try to make clear to oneself as far as possible the sense one associates with a word. But here we must not forget that not everything can be defined. -Gottlob Frege

Comment

Guys, I'm not here to defend our age policy. It was put into place by a general vote by our membership. If you want to debate with our members about why they picked 25, I suggest you drop by the board and have that debate with them.

It seems as though the vast majority of players are in their teens and early twenties, tops.
                Which is exactly why groups like the CGA exist. There are older adult gamers, but they are often hidden in the woodwork. I am just here to let people know that a place exists where older gamers gather to organize and play online games as well as socialize with their peers.

Comment

Mwahaha, unless you drop your age restriction to 14 ( which would allow me to play) i will boycott your club

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                    Dan was 17(to take the youngest of the two) when we opened Apolyton and i hope you dont characterize our site as immature
                    And Ming is still older than you and Dan combined .
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

when one approaches to a group of people to inform about/advertise something, comments/criticism is to be expected

the fact that your group decided to put an extra age filter beyond the "dont be a jerk" one(which would cover pretty much everything imho) is certainly creating the wrong impression to many "adults" that would otherwise be interested in joining you

Comment

Very well said Markos .

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          And Ming is still older than you and Dan combined .
                          if we put down the exact ages of the three at the time ming was "hired" by us, and started "taking orders" from us, i fear some... adults would be shocked!

sorry Sleestax, but basic ideas of your group are dead wrong
                          it's one thing to say "we are that kind of people, we like to do this stuff and we accept only other people like us in our group" and another to say "it's impossible that you are like us if you are under 25. grow up first"

Comment

Yes, judging people by age is wrong. Dan was only 15 when he took over one of the biggest Civ 2 sites on the Net, and did manage it nicely.

Markos, I think Dan was 18, you were 23 and Ming like 45 at the time, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleestax
                              Guys, I'm not here to defend our age policy. It was put into place by a general vote by our membership.
                              And of course you have to be 25 to vote. Kind of reminds me of the old American South. Time after time, they kept voting for white supremacy. Well, that settled the issue -- NOT!

Comment

when one approaches to a group of people to inform about/advertise something, comments/criticism is to be expected
                                Too right, that.

I have no problem with the criticism directed my way. I've heard it all before and much worse. Obviously the CGA isn't for everyone.

There are countless gaming groups that allow people of all ages. In the end, people will gravitate towards the ones with which they are most comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                                X