Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm, maybe militaristic stinks after all (post patch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm, maybe militaristic stinks after all (post patch)

Or I am very unlucky. Which is it?

/rant on

In my first game as Romans I played up until 1400 fighting many wars on continent. Not ONE leader. On railroad now... still no leader.

2nd game Germans...all the way to middle of medieval no leader..after many wars.

Wow. Maybe Militaristic does stink. I am thinking I won't play them anymore.

SO that's pretty harsh eh?

/rant off

actually its also quick to get barracks up and be fight ing with elites in no time so its great for early war expansion. I don't know about leaders though It's maybe not that much better of a chance than normal.

Comment

for militaristic trait (i saw these stats somewhere)

chance of regular from conscript to regular: 100%
      chance of regular from regular to veteran: 50%
      chance of regular from veteran to elite: 25%
      chance of elite unit creating leader: 12.5%

half for non-militaristic

so in avg. every eighth won battle with elite units should give you a leader... so you must have been quite unlucky... or fought mainly with veteran and regular units?

note: if you had a leader you oversaw by mistake and didn't "use" him (for army or hurrying) no new leader will be created...
      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

i always have a stack of elites ready to go out fighting to make a leader, or just to make my empire larger! As you do!
        Help negate the vegiterian movement!
        For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf
          for militaristic trait (i saw these stats somewhere)

chance of regular from conscript to regular: 100%
          chance of regular from regular to veteran: 50%
          chance of regular from veteran to elite: 25%
          chance of elite unit creating leader: 12.5%

half for non-militaristic

so in avg. every eighth won battle with elite units should give you a leader... so you must have been quite unlucky... or fought mainly with veteran and regular units?
          You're right about everything there but the leader possibility... it's the same for militaristic civs as for standard civs. Only the chance of unit promotion is increased (according to Firaxis). So you're probably just unlucky, even though militaristic civs fight with more elite units they can still get screwed with no leaders.

Comment

GL generation is 1 in 16 or 1 in 12 with the Hero Epic, I thought i've seen these numbers a few times.

Comment

Artifex,

You're either unlucky or simply not using enough units. It is important to have lots of units and get lots of them to elite status.

Trust me, "militaristic" doesn't suck. But it took some practice before I learned how to use it properly.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Getting a leader can be a simple process if you do it right. Get at least 1 elite and send him out with other units. make sure the you have a reasonable chance to win the attack (dont go out with jaguar warriors and find some hoplites) and take it. if you think you're going to lose, use another unit to weaken them and then die. then send in the elite.

if you have barracks, you'll have a HOARDE of elite units fairly soon (if you fight a war like me i suppose), ready for making leaders left and right.

I usually play as the Aztecs when i want a lot of war, and i usually see 2-3 leaders before the ancient era ends.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Leader generation may be slightly smaller post patch, but still can be done. Key is to switch from attacking with elites first. Use regular or veterans to soften defender and then use elite. You are playing a numbers game and need to increase the number of elite victories. Other victories don't count. The other technique that works is to start with veterans by building barracks so it is easier to jump to elite. If start with regular, the unit has to make two jumps and that is not easy.

You only need to generate 1-3 leaders.

#1-- to build army
                  1.1 Use army to win one battle, make it an easy one.
                  1.2 Use win to build heroic epic
                  1.3 Use win to build military academy

#2..3-- for key techs.

If you get more than 3 leaders, you have a bonus game. Remember you can only have one leader active in the game at a time.

good luck, let us know how it goes.

--PF

Comment

The only time I was able to get a leader, was from a goody hut in the first iratation of the 1.17f patch. I always play as Rome and never get a single one. I wipped out entire civs and not one damn leader.

So what I do to fix this? I made a mod were goody huts can produce any unit except flying, sea, and UU.
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I had about 10 in my last game (1.21), but I was
                      at war for many, many years
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

My record is 14 in one game. Then again, I've had entire games wherein I don't produce a single one. It's all odds. Sometimes your lucky, sometimes not.
                        Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

Dude, I'm getting a leader EVERY TURN now. And I'd get more, except I can't use them fast enough! About every 10 or so combats, I pick up a leader. And I'm doing between 10 and 20 per turn.

I cannot imagine not getting them, they are almost a hassle now, except they also give the kickass renaming feature...

I wish I had them earlier in the game of course...

I also play as Rome. Dude it's RAINING MEN! Hallelujah!

Venger
                          P.S. Bonus points for song knowledge as always...

Comment

Venger, I worry about you... you can;t find better songs to quote?

How are you getting so many GLs? Are you fighting the mother of all wars (with MA against Pikes)?
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I'm unlucky with leaders. I had 3 in my whole Civ3 experience. And even if I'm a builder, I have at least a major war per game, with all my troops being veteran.
                              Because of this, I consider leaders as a bonus for the AI, not for me
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X