Galleys in ocean squares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galleys in ocean squares

A few weeks ago we were discussing the AI's tech avalanche and the role of AI galleys traversing the ocean in that avalanche. With Soren's help it was deduced that the civilopedia (that says caravels) was incorrect so that once magnestism is discovered even galleys can cross oceans.

This was not fixed in 1.29 (probably wasnt time). Since I dont want galleys crossing oceans I thought I'd look in the editor to see what could be done.

Galleys- sink in sea, sink in ocean

Caravels- sink in ocean

Galleons - traverse all waterways

Looks fine to me, a logical progression in naval abilities

The great lighthouse- Allows safe sea movement (for galleys) +1 movement.

A useful wonder on watery maps

Astonomy-allows TRADE over sea tiles
    Navigation- allows TRADE over ocean tiles
    Magnetism- allows TRADE over ocean tiles

Now I'm confused. Doesnt this mean that trade routes can be calculated over sea and ocean tiles rather than just coastal tiles? There is nothing to allow galleys to safely traverse the ocean unless the game coding associates TRADE with ABILITY to TRAVEL. As far as I can see there is nothing I can do to stop the AI from using galleys to traverse the "Atlantic Ocean".

Is this an oversight?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Well obviously the traders are using ships that are more sophisticated than galleys
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There's now another method you can use to discourage Galleys from crossing Oceans. Increase the movement costs of both Sea and Ocean, I've gone with 2 for Sea, 3 for Ocean. Then when you get to Frigate etc, give the ships the "All Terrain as Roads" flag, and adjust their movement rate accordingly. So when calculating the shortest distance to a destination, Galleys etc, should rarely end up in an Ocean square.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
        There's now another method you can use to discourage Galleys from crossing Oceans. Increase the movement costs of both Sea and Ocean, I've gone with 2 for Sea, 3 for Ocean. Then when you get to Frigate etc, give the ships the "All Terrain as Roads" flag, and adjust their movement rate accordingly. So when calculating the shortest distance to a destination, Galleys etc, should rarely end up in an Ocean square.
        Those changes would negate the sea-positive effects of the great lighthouse though, since it can only add +1 to movement.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

Those changes would negate the sea-positive effects of the great lighthouse though, since it can only add +1 to movement.
          So you wait until you can build a Caravel! It still won't affect your ability to establish trade routes over Sea squares, just the movement rate of your Galleys. It sounds a bit more realistic to me that way.

Comment

I think its a useful idea for me (since I dont play a naval expansionist game) but for those who do, the effects of great lighthouse are a key component in that strategy.

Comment

Re: Galleys in ocean squares

A few weeks ago we were discussing the AI's tech avalanche and the role of AI galleys traversing the ocean in that avalanche. With Soren's help it was deduced that the civilopedia (that says caravels) was incorrect so that once magnestism is discovered even galleys can cross oceans. . .

WHAT???

Are you telling me that it took nearly NINE MONTHS to discover such an important error?? Are you kidding?

BTW, anyone who says galleys could ever cross oceans is just making things up as they go along. It's crazy.

Comment

Re: Re: Galleys in ocean squares

Originally posted by Coracle

BTW, anyone who says galleys could ever cross oceans is just making things up as they go along. It's crazy.
                The Viking Longboats were basically Galleys, even smaller maybe. Yet they made it to North America.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Galleys in ocean squares

Originally posted by Willem

The Viking Longboats were basically Galleys, even smaller maybe. Yet they made it to North America.
                  they went up on the north route: known route until iceland and greenland, then past all those canadian tundra-islands to north america... so basicly coastal squares (except known parts)... and we don't know how many attempts had been done
                  - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                  - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

What about the Polynesians? All they had was Outriggers, yet they colonized almost every habitable island in the South Pacific.

Comment

Good call, Willem.

Pre-Polynesians, this included Australia by 40,000BC.

(although that's pre-Civ, much less Mapmaking)
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Re: Galleys in ocean squares

A few weeks ago we were discussing the AI's tech avalanche and the role of AI galleys traversing the ocean in that avalanche. With Soren's help it was deduced that the civilopedia (that says caravels) was incorrect so that once magnestism is discovered even galleys can cross oceans.
                        I thought navigation caused galleys to traverse ocean tiles?

Did I miss somthing?
                        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                          Good call, Willem.

Pre-Polynesians, this included Australia by 40,000BC.

(although that's pre-Civ, much less Mapmaking)
                          Not to mention Hawaii. They had to go across ocean to reach there, and their ships weren't nearly as sophisticated as Galleys, as they're portrayed in the game. They were little more than canoes with a sail.

Comment

Re: Re: Galleys in ocean squares

Originally posted by Coracle

WHAT???

Are you telling me that it took nearly NINE MONTHS to discover such an important error?? Are you kidding?
                            hmm, rather unfortunate

No, you just call it a game (sincere)
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The Norse longships and even the polynesian canoes were not galleys, they were small sailing ships. Small doesnt mean not ocean-worthy. Galleys (at least the mediteranian ones) were never designed for ocean going travel but were better weapons than the sailing ships of the time (which is why I have a fire galley mod that is a fighting ship )

Comment

Working...
                              X