Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAAARGH!! IM gonna get crazy of those darn french!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAAARGH!! IM gonna get crazy of those darn french!

Im just playing peacfully civ3 and suddenly a french settler appears next to my border and i though he will just pass, BUT he made city right there!!! and a little later a french ship came on my main island (where my capital is and so on) and unloaded a settler and a pikeman, and the french made a city right there. (By the way there was only 1 empty spot in my main island that wasnt my territory! ) I think it should be that you cant make a city RIGHT next to an enemy border (or peacfull)! I think a 2 block radius of the border would be good. Don't you agree?:
    "[A thoughtful Quote]" -Oscar Wilde

I'm tempted to agree with you, although a simple solution to the second settler is to park a warrior in such open spots. But don't fret, just culture flip them. I think of such things as free cities.

Comment

No. I use this same tactic against the AI all the time. It's either your territory or it's not. If it's not then they cn use it.
      Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

yeah i know that but sometimes they put a city 3 blocks away from another city of yours! And I cant put units beside the HOLE border!

Comment

Acooper that true and i have to accept the truth

Comment

The solution is to have high culture. Their little town will be yours before long. Or park 23 veteran knights next to it open the diplomacy window with Joan.
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

whats that do?
              Help negate the vegiterian movement!
              For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

It gets Joan in awe of your manly, testosterone army and maybe out of sheer attraction, she'll think twice about doing it again.
                Working together to Spread the Burden, Share the Wealth, and Conquer all Challenges

Comment

If I see some other stupid AI civs trying to build cities in territories I want, I generally wack them. 2 free workers and one wasted enemy unit are very satisfying.

Comment

I find the ineffective borders a right nuisance. Then again the only thing that is worse than the AI when it comes to putting cities in tiny little gaps is me. And I always steal the AI's resources by doing it.

In one game I had a tiny little "punk" city (as I like to call them) in gem-mountains at the top of the persian empire. It was built on a hill, had a habor (later airport) and was stuffed full of military units (atleast 10) and had a fort+more units on the gems. It never flipped (despite only having 3 worked tiles) and gave me gem access for the whole game, the persians never even attacked it (probably because it was stuffed so full of units ). I use this strategy all the time to aquire resources without asking nicely, just remember, no hole is too small to stick a city in

That said, I think city radius's should extend one further when it comes to founding cities, ie you cant found a city if any of it's initial worked tiles will be in another civs territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                      I use this strategy all the time to aquire resources without asking nicely
                      I use it to acquite cities without asking nicely. What can I do, I'm a Babylonian Culture Hog surrounded by an AI that finds itself content with eating books and picking its nose all day for mental and spiritual fulfillment.

That said, I think city radius's should extend one further when it comes to founding cities, ie you cant found a city if any of it's initial worked tiles will be in another civs territory.
                      A decent enough compromise if it's enough of an annoyance to you. My philosophy is that if you can't deal with a "peaceful invasion", make sure all the holes are covered. Like Acooper said, it's yours, or it's not.

Comment

And the french put there citys like 3 blocks away from each other And cause otto von bismark is militaristic I have ALOT of units! I have very many knights and in every city there 5 musketmen

Comment

Am I just playing too much or do I remember correctly that in some previous versions of Civ3 I was sometimes getting a message saying that placing a city there and there (usually just outside the enemy border) would cause a war with the said civ? I do realize it no longer happens, but was it so in the past?

Comment

Take some tips from the AI, its not a bad strategy.

In a game Greece was on an island connected to the mainland - which it then began to expand into. I just built a city on one free square around the bottleneck and eventually split them in two. Made em MUCH easier to annihilate later.

Remember to build culture though
                            "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack
                              Am I just playing too much
                              I think we'd all have to plead guilty to that one.

do I remember correctly that in some previous versions of Civ3 I was sometimes getting a message saying that placing a city there and there (usually just outside the enemy border) would cause a war with the said civ?
                              I don't remember this, unless it was with a significantly earlier version where I hadn't mastered all the nuances of the game and tried out such things yet. I don't think I've had a problem with that myself.

*thinks aloud* Mastered the nuances? Bah. Who am I kidding?

Comment

Working...
                              X