The International Space Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The International Space Station

I got inspired after seeing the IMAX film last night- what about the ISS for Civ3?

For those who do not follow current space travel, the International Space Station is a joint project. Although many nations help to pick up the cost, individual components are built in specific countries. For instance, the first part of the station launched was built by Russia, the next by America, and the US space shuttle and Russian rockets serve as a supply ships. Italy, Canada, and other countries are either building components themselves or are financing construction in other countries.

This is a pretty massive undertaking, by any standard.

If you can get the nuclear powers of NATO and Russia to cooperate on such a massive project, why can't the puny civs (that send their own space ships to the nearest star, mind) do the same job?

Wonder?
    Small wonder?
    Joint victory?

This thing needs to be in the game. Where?
    They're coming to take me away, ha ha...

I'm not sure how one would go about incorporating this idea into the game...and what would be the purpose of adding an international spacestation in the first place?

Comment

research bonus sounds right
      Help negate the vegiterian movement!
      For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Research bonus, as well as improved relations with said Civ maybe? Only Civs who build the small wonder ISS get the bonus. Provides improved relations with all Civs taking part, and grants the city its built in extra research.
        "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Ok, a research bonus and/or improved relations sounds good...but what would happen if you go to war against the civs you are supposed to be working with?

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
            Ok, a research bonus and/or improved relations sounds good...but what would happen if you go to war against the civs you are supposed to be working with?

Well, they tested everything else in zero-g, why not a speeding bullet?
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

ISS should be a new victory condition.

It basically requires you and at least 1 other Civ to jointly develop. In other words, the option will not be available to you if no Civ wants to build it with you, no matter how productivre your Civ is, you MUST have a 2nd or 3rd civ.

This would be negotiated through diplomacy, and each Civ will be given/assigned components to build. Once completed, the Civs who build it win.

This goes away from the 1 civ must win victory, and also enhances diplomacy. Of course, if we are to implement thisd, the diplomacy engine would have to be tweaked to beak it more subtle and more sensitive to human nuance.
              AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
              Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
              Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Interesting idea... but would please really want to play a game to 'jointly win' ???

I'm not so sure about that
                Up The Millers

Comment

Check out: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/isstodate.html or http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/ for more information about the space station.

The only thing I couldn't find there (easily) is cost

I think that a space station victory sounds more reasonable than a victory where colonists are sent to the nearest star. Frankly, I don't see how humans can even put colonists on Mars in the next ten years, let alone put guys on AC. And the cost? I don't think the cost is comparable to the construction of a nuclear missile...
                  They're coming to take me away, ha ha...

Comment

They could have a kinda Stalingrad battle in the ISS, men fighting for a room, or in this case, a pod!
                    1: - 2, this is 1, we need a flash
                    2: - 1, this is 2, i only have frags
                    2 pulls pin out
                    1: - ahhh, you idiot! that'll put a hole in the hull
                    2: - Erm, Erm,
                    2 flings grenade down the hatch
                    2: Fire in the hole!
                    1: ah crap!

Hole blows hole in hull which sucks out the remanes and sucks out 1 and 2.

As you might of noticed, i play Rouge spear and Operation flashpoint alot! (Untill civ3 came to a home computer near me!)

Comment

lol, a civ thats at peace with the two fighting civs!

"Arrgh, you spilt my space coffee"

Comment

very good idea, I'd like it very much, but how could you put it in the game? Maybe wait til Civ4, it might have a more complex editor.
                        "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
                          lol, a civ thats at peace with the two fighting civs!

"Arrgh, you spilt my space coffee"
                          You've built a space warrior, and a space archer, space spearman, space houseman, mounted spaceman... originality is the main priority here.
                          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

OTOH, maybe it could be a mission to establish a human presence on Mars. Something like the Extended Original game in Test of Time, only the spaceship travel time wouldn't vary as widely-- between five and nine months for a one-way trip, depending on the orbit (a Hohmann ellipse would take around nine months) and type of propulsion (chemical rockets, nuclear rockets, solar sails, ion engines, etc.).

You'd still have AC as a possible victory condition, but that would be MUCH further off.
                            oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

No better to allow moon colonization. Moon is a second tiny map and you may drop colonists to it. Sending unit to moon will cost 800 base cost but some advances reduce cost of sending:
                              sattellites, superconductor, Integrated defence reduce ythe cost by 100.
                              Robotics reduces the cost by 200.
                              Future tech reduce it 50 gp per level untill making free.
                              money sqrt evil;
                              My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

Working...
                              X