Worst starting location ever! LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst starting location ever! LOL

I'm playing a 16-civ game on a huge world, pangea, emp, no mods. I went through much of the game trying to figure out where the 16th civ was. None of the other civs seemed to know either. Finally, someone found the poor Babs way out on Gilligans Island all by themselves! They were hopelessly stuck in the ancient era while the rest of the world was fighting with infantry lol.

Has anyone else seen the computer put a civ in such a terrible starting location before? It's pretty funny! It's also ironic, because as backwards and behind as the Babs are, they will probably be the last surviving civ due to their isolation and threat level! I'll most likely overrun all the others first before I get around to visiting their little islands lol. (I'm the Romans in the top left of the big continent.)

-Apolex
    (edit: fixed typos)
    Attached Files

Could be something for Aeson
    He loves this kind of start (on the other hand,
    i don't see ice, so i might be to easy )
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I had a starting location worse than that, 1 small island, all tundra before, just a few days ago. I thought to myself "maybe I should make a screenshot of this." Then I just laughed and started a new game.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
        I had a starting location worse than that, 1 small island, all tundra before, just a few days ago. I thought to myself "maybe I should make a screenshot of this." Then I just laughed and started a new game.
        Trip! You shoulve brought a screenshot!

I've had bad starting locations before, although none as bad as that. However in Alpha Centauri, they seem to be rampant. If I choose a random map, i always start on a small island isolated from everyone.
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Let's just say it was about 20 tiles total. About 5 hills, most everything else was forest. Everything was tundra. No river. And to top it off, I was an 'expansionist' civ (since I play 100% random games). I almost felt the urge to play it for a while just for kicks.

Comment

lol they can't even irrigate anything.

You'd think that they'd put a couple more cities down to get some more sea tiles but thats th AI for you.
            Are we having fun yet?

Comment

It's not so bad: they have two islands with grasslands!
              Nym
              "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Also, they should´ve placed the capital on the hill to get an extra Whale. Too bad they always found the capital at the starting spot.

At least they have discovered mapmaking!

Comment

Poor guys... wonder if they can make it to the Middle Ages by the time you are in a space race?
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

They should've squeezed more cities on that island.

Comment

OUCH! That's absolutely terrible. They don't even have any stuff to trade, do they? I doubt even Aeson could have won with that start (well, since he consistently amazes me, I suppose that's a rash thing to say).

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Arrian - where can I read about those famous Aeson's, erm, heroic works? I've somehow missed the stuff.

I imagine such a start in MP, noone would trade with the poor guy, and his Spearmen would eventually be facing Cavalry.

Comment

Notice what a terrible job the AI has done with city placement... They could have had 2-3 more cities on those islands, taking advantage of three extra whales.

Solver: The civ-god at work here

Comment

Civ-god, lol. Thanks for the link, alex.

Vel is thus far the best Civ 3 player, IMHO. What if I someday also become good ?

Comment

Meh, I should have taken a screenshot of a game I started yesterday that I just started over. I had an island just marginally larger than those 2 combined, near the center of the map, but every square was a jungle. Every single one. At least there were dyes
                              They don't call me Springfield Fats because I'm morbidly obese!

Comment

Working...
                              X