No announcement yet.

Worst starting location ever! LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my... my very first game of Civ 3, that I don't count as an "official" one, cause I didn't play it for more than 50 turns, I started out in a Jungle and, well, everything like 10 tiles radius from the starting spot was Jungle.

Also, no civs close by...
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The human player could have squeezed 5 cities onto that little country - and had some hope of escaping to the main continent.

Solver, that sounds like my first start - all jungle, a few mountains, and a skinny isthmus leading to ... the Japanese jungle and mountains. Restart.
      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
      intelligence to few.

Comment

I think there's only one solution. Give the Babylonians every tech you have, so they can build ICBM's, then they can take out their 6000 years of rage on your enemies.
        They don't call me Springfield Fats because I'm morbidly obese!

Comment

Luckily there were at least no mounts in my start. And I never do a restart.

Comment

I often saw it before. But if you dislike it you can download good maps from internet.
            money sqrt evil;
            My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Palleon
              I think there's only one solution. Give the Babylonians every tech you have, so they can build ICBM's, then they can take out their 6000 years of rage on your enemies.
              LOL good idea! A progress report on the poor Babs: The world has been thinned to 9 civs, and they're still around. I also thought about wiping out the Japanese and Chinese (on the island to the left) and giving all their cities to the Babalonians as a gift. I feel sorry for him

-Apolex

Comment

sersiously, thats not that bad of a start if a human had played it out.

sure it's a bad one, but it's far from the worst
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                  sersiously, thats not that bad of a start if a human had played it out.

sure it's a bad one, but it's far from the worst
                  Yeah after reading about Aeson's start and conquest, I'm pretty confident that a human can salvage just about any situation against the AI. His was a much poorer starting position (even thought he had much more starting land, it sucked). I'm calling him the Andromeda strain after doing what he did with that fluorescent green civ lol.

-Apolex

Comment

i've seen'em spawn on an island with 3 squares. (1 for city, 2 for mines or irigation!).

sorry, i have no picture!
                    I think the edittors random map feature is different to the one in game, the edittors feature brings up some mad things, like entire mountain ranges full of gold, and stupid starting locations!
                    Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                    For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
                      Could be something for Aeson
                      He loves this kind of start (on the other hand,
                      i don't see ice, so i might be to easy )

you mean theirs sombody who likes these starts? Really?
                      Theirs sombody who actualy likes to play 50techs behind an AI? With nothing to trade and no chance of trading anyway?
                      Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                      For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Hey, I bet some of these guys can pull it off. I know that I struggle 7 techs behind sometimes on Regent, I don't know how people can win higher then that, I guess I need to improve But what I don't get is that when I play on the Earth Maps, I get way ahead on tech, and the AI doesn't trade. I make a random map, and when I discovered gunpowder, the AI was throwing riflemen at me. On Regent. So yeah, I think I need some work.
                        They don't call me Springfield Fats because I'm morbidly obese!

Comment

My worst start

On the subjects of worst starts ...

My worst start was on a Pangaea, huge (16 civ), no mods, normal clime and humidity world.

I started out near the equator ... right in the middle of a HUGE jungle. There wasn't a non-jungle space in any direction for at least 7 tiles. I had the Persians (aggressive bastards) to my Northeast about 8-10 tiles and the Zulu about 15 tiles due south.

There were NO luxury items in that entire space (gems, dyes, or silks); and no early-game strategic resources either.

To top it off, I was playing the Egyptians. My UU was useless because I couldn't get to any horses and even if I could, I'd have to run them only on the roads I built (becuase the can't run in Jungle tiles).
                          Thank god, there are no KENDER in Civ3.

Comment

I do *always* play the game. I might see myself into a crappy position, and see that I'm getting techs behind, I'll play it out. No restarts.

My best comeback was not, though, the worst start I had, but it was terrible. A pretty small continent, me in the north of it as America. A pretty nice Jungle all around, not 10 tiles around (the worst I've had), but some 5 tiles around the starting location. At least it was pretty rich with Dyes. To the north of my starting point, where there were only 4 tiles of Jungle in the direction, behind it was a chokepoint with mountains on it. Luckily for me, one of mountains had Gems. With two luxuries I wasn't at least bothered with happiness problems.

So, in the southern part of the continent, bastards Japaenese were - and hell it was good land! Some shielded grassland, a Cattle, a few hills, excellent land. Argh. I had to fight them with my Archers to get control of the hill hosting the continent's only source of Iron, till I finally conquered them with my Swordsmen.

I remember the game... I was seriously falling behind in techs, only got my next contact (after I wiped Japan) somewhere in the Middle Ages, almost everyone hated me, I had no resources to trade, only luxuries, and my only hope was that I won't be attacked anytime soon cause they would be in fear of my military. You wish. I didn't have enough cities to catch up, and had to fight for my survival.

And the game was finished into a space win for me, with me only becoming the powerhouse somewhere in the second half of the Industrial Age.

Comment

My worst start was in one of my first games. I was trapped in a 3 square peninsula covvered with tundra and the Germans were 5 squares south of me. The strait between me and them was only one square large and they finally eliminated me before I could even build 2 warriors. My first one was defeated and I was eliminated in about 3600 BC... Sad thing...

--Kon--
                              Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

I think I have quite found THE worst starting location.

Nym
                                "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Working...
                                X