Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would anyone keep playing Civ1 when we have Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technology is available? Oh yeah, there's also technology available that has computers with like 40 GB RAM and several terabytes hard drive... of course it doesn't matter that these are only at IBM and cost many million dollars .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

At least techs are getting cheaper. I don't have civ1, If I could buy it I'ld prolly try it just for the hell of it, see what the buzz is all about.
      Janitor, janitor
      scrub in vein
      for the $h1t house poet
      have struck again

Comment

I doubt you could buy it...haven't seen it sold anywhere. Have to DL it most likely. Or find a mod that makes it look like Civ1

Comment

Keep an eye on ebay....thats where I picked up my copy.
          "And that, my friends, sucks goat ass." ---Venger---

Comment

Or email me and kindly ask to send Civ 1 to you, which might have results if you ask veeery kindly .

BTW, of course, you might be disappointed at Civ 1 now, for it misses stuff like real diplomacy, etc, etc, you know, going backwards, but at least you should be able to see some parts of it you absolutely must.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              Or email me and kindly ask to send Civ 1 to you, which might have results if you ask veeery kindly .

BTW, of course, you might be disappointed at Civ 1 now, for it misses stuff like real diplomacy, etc, etc, you know, going backwards, but at least you should be able to see some parts of it you absolutely must.
              I tried Civ1 several months ago, after I found it on an abandonware site (the whole game fits onto a floppy!) OK so it might have been good at the time, but it is (now) horrendously sluggish and is very much a game of its time. It's not possible to play Civ1 unless you played it when it was released.

So I guess it's only the old-timers who keep on playing those old games...a sign of age?

Comment

I disagree! I got Civ1 (windows version) in October 2001 on a CD that came with Computer Games Magazine.

I had tried to like Civ2 for months. But from the first the first look at Civ1 I was hooked! Maybe it was the simplicity. No. It was more than that. Maybe it was the joy of seeing the covered wagon instead of that horrible "settler" in Civ2.

There is a magic to Civ1. And I don't think for me it has anything to do with "old age" or nostalgia because I just found the game in October.

sboog

Comment

I definately play Civ I for the nostalgia. I got it on eBay for $6. It came in a package of games called "The Ultimate Strategy Archive". It has a bunch of other games on it, one of them is Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon. Haven't played it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

Comment

Hmm David, I still play it sometimes and have certainly played it back then, too. However, the deal with it being sluggish... I dunno... some people reported so, but for me it runs as fast as it can (well, my PC is better than 50 MHz).

Comment

No, there is no time for it?! It's a great game but I cannot for the love of God play any new games that come around, play Civ 3 and all the old games I loved.

Lately, I tried to play Colonization once but I stopped. It's a great game but we are spoiled with today's graphs, sound and AI that made the game uplayable.
                      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

very much a game of its time
                        i agree with this statement. i recently got it lent to me and well back in the days of its release it woulda been awesome its just that today for me its quite ummmmm ugly i suppose and simple IMHO. i prefer civII and civIII.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

Yes, please do e-mail me a copy, pretty please. Beats roaming net for a copy...virus these days are rampant.

Does civ1 run on DOS or what?

[edit=I should probably include my e-mail address: taoa_AT_shaw-DOT-ca] spambot proof. Just remove the underscore and hypen.
                          Janitor, janitor
                          scrub in vein
                          for the $h1t house poet
                          have struck again

Comment

Working...
                          X