Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would anyone keep playing Civ1 when we have Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would anyone keep playing Civ1 when we have Civ3?

This is a question I ask myself. Because despite the wonderful graphics and all the new things with Civ3, I still feel pulled back to Civ1.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Why do you think we are pulled back to Civ1?

sboog

I only have Civ3 and Civ for the snes. The one for the snes I do play from time to time, only because of the units really.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

My dad still plays Civ1 he says he won't play another one until he finds out how to stop the stupid pollution.

He has future techs, all space ship parts built, all land and all water in city radiuses coverd in railroad, with one civ with one city left, all in B.C.
      Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
      in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
      3D Unit tutorial
      My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

Comment

In the age of Pentium 4, gigabyte RAM and 128 MB video cards, why do people still play Clue, or Solitaire, or Checkers or NES Mario, or my fav., Axis and Allies?

Because some things will always be classics, they will never grow old. They will always be better than the endless supply of RTS reruns and FPS clones

Graphics and shiny boxes do not make great games.

Comment

and they say graphics don't matter in TBS - yeah right...
          Up the Irons!
          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
          Odysseus and the March of Time
          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Because it's better...
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
              Graphics and shiny boxes do not make great games.

At least SOMEONE in the world has brains other then me!
              I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Yes, I'm afraid the number is few. I'm guessing your a Zahn fan?

Comment

Simplicity. Familiarality. And most of all, nostalgia.
                  I still go back and have a dip every now and then to get back to my roots.
                  - mkl

Comment

Simplicity. Familiarality. And most of all, nostalgia.
                    Besides, original versions tend to be better than sequels. It was like that for Donkey Kong on the SNES and Alpha Centauri (the long-running Mario series was an exception - well, except for Mario 64 and Luigi's Mansion, the frustrating cousins).
                    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

TA is also a classic
                      it seems that the ones who play TA today and quit return after a while playing it again
                      F 14 tomcat fanatic

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                        In the age of Pentium 4, gigabyte RAM and 128 MB video cards, why do people still play Clue, or Solitaire, or Checkers or NES Mario, or my fav., Axis and Allies?
                        Though many people still have 2 year old systems with less than a GB RAM .
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

and exactly how many ppl have 1GB of RAM?
                          Up the Irons!
                          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                          Odysseus and the March of Time
                          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

I must admit I haven't even worked with anything having more than 512 MB RAM, lest have it... I'm running a 128 MB RAM machine .
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I don't believe I said you all had gig RAMs and 3000 dollar units. I said we were living in a time where that technology is available.

I only have 512 myself(ran out of places to stick the memory stick!), but I think everyone got what I was saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X