This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laughing out Loud!

I was playing the Chinese in a huge map sharing a continent with the hated japanese . Well, at some point we were at war and I attacked with my tanks. Well what do you know out of the blue come two Samurais and each destroy a tank of mine . Well, my reaction was to laugh out loud as I imagined two funny looking guys hacking away at two 20+ tons of steel!!! I know that this is not a new issue but I never actually had a Samurai with his sword do it. It was just a funny sight .
    Last edited by The Pioneer; July 1, 2002, 06:20.
    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Please don't use the slang word "Jap" it is considered a word in the same order of offensiveness as "******". I don't see anyone here calling Shaka Zulu the hated "******"

And what is with the comment "two funny looking guy" hacking at your tank? That's bordering on racial stereotyping. Not all Japanese look a like. Many Japanese actually have strong European features due to its proximity to Siberia and inter-breeding with natives in the Japanese islands who likely migrated from Russia. Some look closer to the Chinese, and others closer to South-East Asians.

Jeeze.
    AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
    Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
    Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Re: Laughing out Loud!

Dex, I think Pioneer was referring to the "funny looking guys" as seen on the TV (with all that splendid clothing, shiny swords and such). They look funny standing next to / hacking at a tank, not on their own.

Comment

Before anybody get's the wrong idea... I was talking only in the game context.

Dexters, thank you for correcting me, I did not mean to offend anybody by using the word "japs" and I already corrected it on the original post.

As for the two funny looking guys, I am by no means implying that all Japanese look alike, again I was talking about two little pieces of computer graphic.

By the way I should note that such a comment has no real life reflection, what I mean is that I am talking in the context of the game.
        For example:

I do't think that anybody here seriously would like to nuke anybody for real but a lot do it in the game and talk about it on this board.
        Last edited by The Pioneer; July 1, 2002, 08:43.
        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by dexters
          Please don't use the slang word "Jap" it is considered a word in the same order of offensiveness as "******". I don't see anyone here calling Shaka Zulu the hated "******"
          Umm, while possibly being offensive to some (perhaps many), "Jap" is a simple shortening of the word "Japanese". In another context it also refers to spoiled-rotten rich girls of a particular religious persuasion. However, it has none of the hatred and insult that is associated with the dreded "N-word". Take, for example, the term "Polak". It is actually the Polish word for a male Pole. But to Polish-Americans it has become a sort of insult. Much like certain people are offended to be refered to as a "Jew". But I do agree with you that it's best to avoid using such words in the noble effort to avoid accidental conflict.

The Pioneer is right, though. It's absurd that any ancient error unit can attack and destroy modern armor. I once read someones explanation that a Zulu warrior could sneak up and somehow immobilize the tank (perhaps raming a spear through the drivers eye slot?). Creative? Yes. Possible? Uhh...maybe. Realistic? No. Please explain to me the way a war chariot could ever defeat a tank?

History shows that exactly ZERO panzers were destroyed by the Polish cavalry when they used mounted soldiers to try and defend their country in September 1939.

Comment

Geez, a gut with the handle "fittstim" trying to teach the public the finer points of PC speech? How amuzing.
            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
              Before anybody get's the wrong idea... I was talking only in the game context.

Dexters, thank you for correcting me, I did not mean to offend anybody by using the word "japs" and I already corrected it on the original post.

I do't think that anybody here seriously would like to nuke anybody for real but a lot do it in the game and talk about it on this board.
              No problem The Pioneer I know you didn't mean it, and sorry for "blowing up".

Any to anyone elser who thinks this is PC, it is not.

JAP is an offensive term that was in use during the War years and is best not used in the modern context. And yes, I was offended.
              AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
              Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
              Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Originally posted by moominparatrooper
                Geez, a gut with the handle "fittstim" trying to teach the public the finer points of PC speech? How amuzing.
                You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Read the book by Linda Skugge and then come back and edit your comment so that you sound like less of a buffoon.

P.S. I certainly am not a "gut".

Comment

just a quick post to let everyone know that the days of hyper-sensitive political correctness have come and gone. Unless you live in a university bubble (where political correctness thrives ad nauseum), you will realize the people of the real world have 'done their time' under the PC regime and are ready to get back to freely calling a spade a spade - forgive the pun. A colorblind society is nothing more than a fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Incan_Warrior
                    A colorblind society is nothing more than a fantasy.
                    That's not surprising coming from a Texan.
                    "I will not give you a cup of water if you were drowning in the desert!"

Just my favourite CIV-quote. :)

Comment

I had Roman Legions and Riflemen defeat 6 marines doing an amphibious assualt. Oddly, the Legionaries did better.

I shelled them all with artillery.
                      "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
                      "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
                      "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

That's not surprising coming from a Texan.
                        Who's steriotyping now?

But seriously, my Grandad fought for our country
                        and YOUR freedom, and was killed by the japs!
                        And if I wanna call em japs, why cant I?
                        What law says jap is offencive and must not be said
                        lest someone's oversensitive feelings get hurt!

And that "n" word....well they say it all the time!
                        But you cant be white and say that...
                        Why cant a white express himself but a "n" can?

I cant really be bothered debating ignorant PC
                        communists who want tollerance but not of "evil racists saying the J word!" LOL Anyway the proper slang word is Nip...
                        You likee soupee?

Comment

Would a mod please change the name of this thread to "Shouting Out Loud!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok

Who's steriotyping now?

But seriously, my Grandad fought for our country
                            and YOUR freedom, and was killed by the japs!
                            And if I wanna call em japs, why cant I?
                            What law says jap is offencive and must not be said
                            lest someone's oversensitive feelings get hurt!

And that "n" word....well they say it all the time!
                            But you cant be white and say that...
                            Why cant a white express himself but a "n" can?

communists who want tollerance but not of "evil racists saying the J word!" LOL Anyway the proper slang word is Nip...
                            I would suggest you don't refer to anyone by anything they don't want to be referred to as. As far as the "N" word and its usage.....get denied basic human rights because of your color....then face a cast system that sets your heritage even further behind that of your oppressor.....get bombed and abused so that you can have a right to vote....then by all means use the word!

P.S. I know many a black person in Texas...I wouldn't suggest calling any of them that. Just a little info for your health's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok
                              communists
                              So an opponent of racism is always a communist? You're clearly one of the paranoid, xenophobic stepchildren of J Edgar Hoover who sees coloreds in his nightmares taking over America... sweet dreams.

Comment

Working...
                              X