No announcement yet.

Having a hard time shifting from Civ2 to 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SpencerH : I've never used the "land grab" tactic in any civ like game. As I told it before I don't like managing tens of cities and hundreds of workers.
    Moreover, I'am rather reluctant to name a governor in a city or to allow the workers to be managed by the AI, this is certainly because the Civ2 AI was terrible on this ground.

I prefer playing with few high population cities focusing on science and production.

A good point for civ3, I have to adopt a different strategy which renew the interest of the game, I appreciate the tougher AI opponents though I would have prefer they cheat less blatantly.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Tamerlin,

Play on small maps, then. Seriously, that's why I don't play on Huge maps (I stick to Standard, with an occasional foray up to Large).

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I know, I know Arrian, thanks for the advice.

I've always played Civ2 on a large map because it let me more time to build my core cities before I meet the AI civs (at least I believe it was the case). But the Civ3 AI civs are looking for new territories so aggressively this is no more appropriate.

Though the idea seems strange to me, I will try a game on a small map.
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Re: Having a hard time shifting from Civ2 to 3

Originally posted by GP
          My sister has Civ3, so i tried it out. I had a hard time getting into it. Civ2 is more addictive.
          hi ,

wait till you get the hang of it , .....

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
            As I told it before I don't like managing tens of cities and hundreds of workers.
            Moreover, I'am rather reluctant to name a governor in a city or to allow the workers to be managed by the AI, this is certainly because the Civ2 AI was terrible on this ground.

I prefer playing with few high population cities focusing on science and production.
            Tamerlin, just so you know, I wasnt specifically commenting on you. You just brought it up in my memory.

I dont use the managers either. I dont REX and I usually get up to 20 cities or so by mid game but I dont bother to micromanage either. I just sort of crank out certain build prefs its very easy especially with the build cue. Once I'm up to a reasonably advanced size empire I SHIFT-A the workers and that problem is pretty much gone too.

I never played the 1 city game with civ2. How do you stop the AI from obliterating you ? Expansion as the key to success was my first (maybe only) lesson to victory.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

No one anymore believes the AI could fairly build all these settlers without a little cheating, in otherwords, freebies.
              Coracle, I can out-expand the AI on Regent and Monarch w/o cheating. It just requires a lot of focus on expansion.

Comment

I think the reason a lot of people liked Civ2 was that it was so damned easy. You could apply ANY strategy you wanted and it would almost always work out. There was no pressure in civ2 - it was like "right, i'm going to play peaceful in this game". Then you'd build a decent sized empire and city walls in all your cities and sit back, safe in the knowledge that the ai would NEVER take a single city. In all my civ2 playing i only ever lost a city once to the ai (many more to barbs!).

Civ2 just massaged your ego by allowing you to completely dominate the game. But hey it was fun!

Disclaimer: i am not in any way suggesting civ2 is better than civ3.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

Coracle, I can out-expand the AI on Regent and Monarch w/o cheating. It just requires a lot of focus on expansion.
                  hi ,

exactly , ..

maybe Coracle wants to say all the free ubits the AI gets with the start , or the higher the level the faster they can build , .....

but the AI can be beaten , even on deity , ....

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

lol, what about changing from RTS to TBS. I've done some really stupid things, like sit there waiting for my workers to finish a job and after 5 mins realizing exactly how stupid i am!

And that cheat thing would be cool, making your self insanely large (militery wise), then swapping over to you arch enemy and seeing what the AI does when its in control of your original civ!
                    Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                    For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                      Tamerlin, just so you know, I wasnt specifically commenting on you. You just brought it up in my memory.
                      No problem SpencerH, this debate is cool and the tone friendly.

Originally posted by SpencerH
                      I dont use the managers either. I dont REX and I usually get up to 20 cities or so by mid game but I dont bother to micromanage either.
                      Even 20 cities is too high a number for me, I prefer around 12. This and the fact I'am not using the tactics the AI civs use in Civ3 are perhaps the reason why I don't play on higher difficulty level.

Comment

Working...
                      X