No announcement yet.

Having a hard time shifting from Civ2 to 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, here is something that I would like explained.

A city can be affected by culture to the extent it can flip in relatively few turns, but a settler can walk around in the midst of my civ for 2,000 years and never be affected?

Tourists to the US can't resist McDonald's for more than 6 hours. Give me a break.

Comment

OK. Which limb?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

A city can be affected by culture to the extent it can flip in relatively few turns, but a settler can walk around in the midst of my civ for 2,000 years and never be affected?
        it's a game
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

mark, in civ2, different civs had different settings for expansion and warlikeness

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG

it's a game
            "Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality" Jules de Gaultier, French writer

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

It's a well known term, and easy to figure out.

It means the AI SPEWS OUT settlers all over the place in huge amounts, and they settle everywhere in a crazy land grab.
              ah so the settlers don't HAVE diarrhea, they ARE the diarrhea
              thanks
              CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                Tourists to the US can't resist McDonald's for more than 6 hours. Give me a break.

after purchace of Civ3 I have played more Civ2 then 3.
                same thing with SMAC.
                My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

in civ2, different civs had different settings for expansion and warlikeness
                  never noticed such a thing
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

About "settler diarrhea" in Civ3... The AI civs expand quickly towards the "optimal number of cities" setting in the editor and stops then with the expansion. Who increases this setting in his "mod" to lower the effects of corruption and waste, is himself responsible for an increased "settler diarrhea".

Comment

Hi GP,

It seems this thread is drifting away from "I have some trouble playing Civ3 after having played Civ2 for such a long time" to "CivX is better than CivX" or "this feature sucks in CivX".
                      Let me write a post about the initial subject (and some others a bit OT to be in the tone).

I have played Civ2 for a long time and then CtP2. I must admit I had less trouble to adapt to CtP2 than Civ3 though many features (tech, improvement) of the later are close to its predecessor's ones.

First, I decided to discover the new concepts and features through the tutorial, the game proved very interesting though the AI was of course no match at this level. At the end of the game I had mixed feelings, a very good game though not as fun as Civ2 and CtP2.
                      I knew one thing for sure, I would have to give this game a second chance.

One week ago I decided to play a Civ3 game again. Not particularly confident in myself I selected Warlord as the Difficulty. The AI civs expanded very quickly and choked me around 0 AD. A bit irritated, I don't like to loose against a "Warlord" AI, I immediately started a new game in which I was determined to be more cautious and careful. Once again, shortly after 0 AD, I was overwhelmed by the expansion of the AI and its ability to produce tens of units. I started again... same result...
                      At this moment I thought I had missed something and came back to Apolyton for a few strategical hints. Not wholly satisfied with the threads here (perhaps I haven't found the good one), I tried the Strategy thread of the "Civ Fanatics" and discovered the War Academy and an article named :"Faster Expansion: a Key Element of the Early Game" (if you are already fed up with my post you can find the link at the end of it). This article allowed me to understand why the core civ2 players can have some troubles at the beginning of a Civ3 game and give a "recipe" for a good start.

I then started a new game and applied the given "recipe" with success, I'am now around 1000 AD, I've successfully resisted to two wars and I'am about to teach a lesson to the aggressive Zulus. Thanks to this article, I'am now enjoying the game though I have some criticisms.

I already knew the AI intelligence was cheating in Civ2, as in many other games, and sometimes in a rather crude manner. In civ3, the AI civs are tough opponents because they are blatantly cheating. I'am not irritated by the fact the AI civs are cheating but by the way they are cheating.

Example : well before the AI civs discover the technology required, they are perfectly aware of the future location of the strategical resources they will need much later and send settler to create cities nearby. Rather strange to think about Salpeter when you are still using bronze for your weapons. In the same way, I'am not sure the resource distribution on the board is really random and fair, as is the initial location of our first settler I presume.
                      Whatsoever, I would have prefered a more subtle way of cheating.

OK, before I started playing computer games I was playing tabletop wargames and boardgames and this means I'am rather used to follow the same rules as my opponents. This could explain why I don't like a blatantly cheating AI, but once again this is rather the crude manner of cheating I dislike.

Wether the AI is cheating or not is not the point, the AI civs are tougher and this is a good thing.

My only complain comes from the fact the beginning of the game is rather mechanical and for many more turns than Civ2. Moreover I prefer to play with few cities as I don't like to manage tens of cities and hundreds of workers (especially at the end of the game), but the high expansion rate of the AI civs is urging you to build as many cities as you can to halt this overwhelming growth.

Oh, what ? You think I'am drifting away from the initial post ! Oh yes, you're right, forgive me please. Hummm !

If you are an old time Civ2 player and want some hints for the beginning of a civ3 game you should read this article :
                      www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_fastexpand.shtml

By the way, I love Civ3 and CtP2 (the modded game is as tough as Civ3) and...

What ? I'am rambling again ? Sorry gentlemen.

Have a nice week end !
                      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

The link to the article doesn't work but the http address is good, I have checked.
                        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

You got it right, Sir Ralph. Once they hit the optimum cities they stop building cities totally, even when it would make sense. They start with colonies at that point. I was playing on a huge map and once a few of the players got knocked out over half of the world was unsettled. They wouldn't put a city near oil or rubber, just colonies (which I grabbed by putting a city there, which is not an act of war).

I play at least as aggressively as the AI with respect to land grabs. I put cities in the desert (there might be oil there later), same with jungle (rubber), tundra (oil), and mountains (coal and iron, well actually near the mountains). Why not fill up the map (until corruption sets in)? Even a pop 2 city in the tundra can produce dozens of culture points a turn.
                          Seemingly Benign
                          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

There is another way to deal with the AI land-grab:

Basically ignore it, build a good core group of cities, and start pumping out attack troops. Then start breaking things.

If you know what you're doing, it works rather well.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I am constantly surprised by the comments made by people who've played civ2 but are surprised by and dislike the AI "land-grab". I always did that in every civ/smac game in order to counter the AI build advantages. In civ3 the AI just does what I (we) do and since its build advantages are less than in earlier versions it all works out.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I started playing Civ 3 on Monarch level, determined to learn thru the school of hard knocks. After getting my butt kicked roundly for many times, I was finally able to put forth the lessons that I was learning. As such, the game has exploded in its addiction for me and I now continually post high scores, always playing at the Monarch level. The game is much more tight in its AI than Civ 2 was, and I have discovered that Civ 2 no longer has any compulsion for me. All I can say is, "Persistance pays off!"

Comment

Working...
                                X