No announcement yet.

Civ III the way it was meant to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread interacts IMO with the trend to early wars and small maps that some of the leading posters on these boards recommend, quite rightly. The game is much more fun and lasts much longer into the modern era when you've got the computer to play very large maps. When it does last that long, then you start to want the modern era rules beefed up a bit to make the outcome more uncertain. As it stands now, the human player wins all the time. If the human player is ahead entering the modern era, it's time for modern armor to roll over the opposition. If behind, the human player sits behind his or her borders and uses artillery plus railroads to defend successfully against larger civs, while always winning the SS race as the AI civs battle each other or get diverted into researching irrelevant techs like recycling. See the spaceship thread under "stragegy" for some random musings on how we can make our lives more difficult in the modern era.
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

I dont know if people have mentioned this earlier or not, most like someone has, but I sort of stumbled onto a method to make the computer turns go by faster. I press CTRL-SHIFT while the comp is moving its pieces and that makes the comp move faster. It was a great help when France was moving a stack of 50-60 infantry over my territory without a RoP.

Added:
      My system isn't too great but isn't a laggard either.

Specs:
      Athlon 1600 (1.4 GHz OC'ed to ~1.5)
      Hercules TNT 2 vid card (I know, it's old as dirt but surprisingly it still delivers very well even in Wolf3d, Quake 3, etc)
      256Mb DDR memory
      Last edited by Navyman; June 19, 2002, 10:43.
      "Misery, misery, misery. That's what you've chosen" -Green Goblin-

Comment

WTF? I have a P350 and 64 megs of ram, running Windows 95. There is an annoying wait when I first start the game and load a save file (I usually go and do a household chore like make the bed while it is loading), but afterwards the game moves along just fine, and this is on a large map with 16 civs.

Am I just living right, or what's the deal? I suspect that it's the win 95 factor; each succeeding version of windows has become exponentially more bloated. I am dreading the day my computer dies, and hopefully I'll buy another used one so I never have to experience the horror, the horror, of the newer versions of windows.

Plus I'll lose all my old DOS games I love. ****ing negative backwards compatibility *******s, how much ****ing space does DOS take up anyways? XP this mother****er!

Austin

Comment

Sorry about the last part of my post. Just thinking about Microsoft coding practices really piss me off, God damn planned obselescent chiseling incompetent weasel

Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean

Austin

Comment

Working...
          X