Civ III the way it was meant to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ III the way it was meant to be

I finally upgraded to a P4 this weekend and I'm getting my money's worth from this game. The difference is ridiculous. I'm actually able to see AI manuevers and the diplomacy between turns is stunning. Its just amazing. This game is really fun. Before the wait and slow unit animations made it a chore to play. Huge map with 16 civs and I can finish a game in about 3 normal sittings. I thought the game was good before, but now I'm addicted.

Preach on, brother!

Comment

I can't imagine playing it on anything less than 256 ram, and a P4 or Athlon processor.
      "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
      --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

I guess the Civ 3 box last November SHOULD have had as recommended requirements nothing less than a 1.5 ghz PC or better. Of course that would have cut into sales. Although, I have seen complaints even from people with fast computers complainig about its slowness.

BTW, I don't care how fast it is; it still has serious flaws.

Comment

Memory is the most important factor here. I'm perfectly happy with my P2-450 with 384MB. Scrolling can get a bit sluggish and there is a 3-4 second pause during saves, but everything else zips along at a reasonable pace.

Comment

I have a PIII 866 MHz, 384MB RAM. It runs fine, except for a slight pause between turns. Annoying, but practically unnoticeable and frivolous.
            I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

This is really making me wish I had money to upgrade from my 128MB RAM.
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I thought the game was good before, but now I'm addicted.
                I was highly enjoying this game BEFORE I got my new PC.

After getting my new PC, I was stunned by how fast the advisor screens were popping up and how quickly the units moved.

Comment

congratz!

i know the difference, i made the same basic upgrade.

on my old system, i could finnish 600 page books reading in between turns of an era.
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

My computer is feeling inadequate.
                    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                      congratz!

i know the difference, i made the same basic upgrade.

on my old system, i could finnish 600 page books reading in between turns of an era.
                      I hear you, I just upgraded to an Athlon Xp from a 450 - PII and the difference is quite great. I still read about a chapter between turns in the late eras though

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                        This is really making me wish I had money to upgrade from my 128MB RAM.
                        Man you can buy new RAM for about $20 - $30 at www.ubid.com, and thats for 256 mb dimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                          My computer is feeling inadequate.
                          My antisocial computer wants to be yours's friend.
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by rhenric557
                            Man you can buy new RAM for about $20 - $30 at www.ubid.com, and thats for 256 mb dimm.
                            I know where I can buy it cheaper. I'm just really strapped for cash at the moment.

Comment

im jeolous. My computer isnt all that and i cant really play on anything bigger than a standard map. Its a shame really because i can really see the attraction of playing against 15 other civs. Saying that, Im still addicted and cant see myself playing another game this year(apart from ptw)

Comment

Working...
                              X