How I Came To Own Civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Came To Own Civ3

I didn't buy Civ3 when it came out. I never buy games new. The main reason for this is undoubtledly my extreme reluctantness to spend my own money. (My birthday was, alas, far distant enough that when I finaly arrived, I had had second thoughts anyway.) Thanks to Infogrames blindingly cunning sales strategy, Christmas was just a few days before the European release, so Civ3 did not find its way into the cosy nest beneath my Christmas Tree.
    So after a period of pondering, and a wait for the price to go down, I wandered about on the forums to see what the public reaction was. Much like many other people, I'm sure.
    And then I decided not to buy Civ3.

But wait, for now I have Civ3, and the price is still too high for me to pay (cheapskate! cheapskate!). This is how:
    I came upon a rather unusual proposal being offered by a certain Mr Vincent Fandango (Names have been changed. Frequently). He was offering a chance to win a copy of Civ3 to anybody who posted a picture of themselves, with their right ear either removed, or bandaged.
    And lo, I double clicked on my Paint Shop Pro icon, and emerged five minutes later with a godawful picture somewhat reminiscent of Pudsey Bear in an identity parade.
    This I duly emailed to Vincent, who posted it along with the other contestant's picture and put the decision to a public vote. I point out at this juncture, that the forum in question is not Apolyton, is not a Civ site and is not very big, so for starters, the uptake in any competition is limited to 50 or so, and it seems that most didn't want Civ3.
    Being the Civver that I am, despite the over-ruling penny-pinching factor, I was happy to win a game for free. And I did, by a margin of 3 votes.
    And a week later, Civ3 dropped onto my doormat in a Jiffy bag. Complete with manual and case.
    Hoorah!

I had previously promised that my first game of Civ3 would be on Deity level, and so it will be. I hope to get a royal arse-whipping.
    Danke Vincent
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Re: How I Came To Own Civ3

You are about to experience the real meaning of arse-whipping.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

No, I'm about to go to bed. Tommorrow I will experience the real meaning of arse-whipping...
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

People have been selling Civ 3 cheap on E-Bay for many months.

Comment

Heh, my first game of Civ III was on Regent, and that whupping I got was enough to make someone sit down and cry.

Comment

Originally posted by FrantzX
            Heh, my first game of Civ III was on Regent, and that whupping I got was enough to make someone sit down and cry.

No, for me it was more like:

I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
              People have been selling Civ 3 cheap on E-Bay for many months.
              Did I mention how lazy I was? E-Bay is a whole other IE window.

Comment

Any update on the arse-whipping?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Got a link to the picture you made ?

Comment

Originally posted by FrantzX
                    You think thats bad! I go my first arse whupping on chieftain! I was so mentally scared I didnt play the game again for about a week! However when i did play it again I sorted it out and am now challenging the game at emporer level! Not bad for a civ nebie.

Comment

Yeah, how's the arse-whipping?

And no, I don't want to see the picture.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

No link to the picture.

My arse is intact after the first two turns. I ran out of time.

Comment

Two turns and you havent seen the 20 azteks that are swarming around your civ?
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I bought Civ III from Amazon for $35. Plus, I bought $100 worth of stuff, so I paid no shipping. Yay.

Comment

Hey Ben, its not a bad game...I've been playing it for about a week now.

I got overwhelmed on first two games at Warlord, mainly because I was trying to get a handle on how the AI operates and I was playing with a purely builder mentality, but I am playing the Persians now, placing more emphasis on military, and I am the big dog on the block (so far in the Medieval Age) Just took 3 English cities unlawfully occupying my land...

All the good and bad reports have elements of truth to them (to me, it feels too thin in the tech tree and government choices - and I want stacked combat/PW!!!!).

...and post the pic.
                              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Working...
                              X