No announcement yet.

New Artillery Unit Idea (Super Cannon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Artillery Unit Idea (Super Cannon)

In World War I, the Germans built a large immobile cannon that rained shells in Paris. Would this be a good idea for Civ III? It would have 0 movement, but maybe 5 or 6 bombing range, and it would be about three times as expensive as a standard artillery.

Also, I think Iraq was building one during the Iran War....
    To us, it is the BEAST.

not a bad idea at all
    CSPA

Comment

Good idea.

But should it be possible to move it between cities with a sort of rebase mission? Or are you suggesting a unit that will only stay put and not move from the city. I ask because you'd eventually want to redeploy it closer to the front line, after you push the front line further into their territory.
      "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
      "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You could always give it Airdrop and Immobile.
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        Odysseus and the March of Time
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

The Germans made several super (rail) guns, though the only one I can remember was called Big Bertha. They could move them, it just move very slooowly. I'd just give it 5-10 range and limit it to travelling on roads only. They geramns were able to move them, it just took a whole lot. They were mostly innefective but were useful as a terror tool.
          "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

I posted an idea for a great wonder: "Saddam's Supergun" a while ago. Available with rocketry and computers, the gun stays in one city (where its built), has infinate range and is leathal (weather or not leathal bombard is on or off).

Many scientist think it possible to shoot satellites into space with such a gun. If so, you could shoot a satellite, which becomes a reentry vehicle and strikes a target on the other side of the globe. This is essentially what ICBMs do now, onlt they use a rocket motor to get into space.

Comment

I have a problem with this idea. Sure, they've built super-guns in the past, but they've also built a lot of things. Should they include flamethrowing Pikemen or something? Of course not. The super guns of the past haven't had an impact upon things, so why should you be able to build something in Civ that would have such a great impact as a super gun? They were far too expensive to build and maintain for the results they produced. The massive German rail gun durin World War I required a crew of over 100 men to maintain, which is incredibly inefficient.

Comment

The gun the Germans had in WWII had a HUGE impact. It killed thousands over a period of months. It was one of the first terrorist type attacks aimed at civilians. There was a whole special on the History Channel about it.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Remember, each unit is actually a collection of individual units. That means, 1 < Super guns per unit. Such a thing would have to be a small wonder due to the incredible cost associated. The London Gun itself had no impact upon the course of the war. Yes it killed people, lots of things in wars do. As you said, it was a terror weapon... but did that make the British armies run from battle demoralized because of it? Of course not, it had no military impact nor a significant ability to cause population or building damage (on the scale that a bomber wing can, for instance), which is why I disagree with its inclusion.

Comment

Trip- I disagree. It wouldn't be useless. During World War 1, the Germans attack the Belgians at the forts of Liege got the crap beat out of them. Then they brought in 2 big berthas and bombarded the heck out of the Belgains and took the forts. If there was a unit like this, I think maybe it should be extremely expensive have a bombardment range of 5-10, and here's where my idea comes in. It could only travel on railroads just like the big berthas.
                    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Re: New Artillery Unit Idea (Super Cannon)

Originally posted by Sava
                      In World War I, the Germans built a large immobile cannon that rained shells in Paris. Would this be a good idea for Civ III? It would have 0 movement, but maybe 5 or 6 bombing range, and it would be about three times as expensive as a standard artillery.

Also, I think Iraq was building one during the Iran War....
                      yOU CAN already beat the crap out of the AI with normal artillery and naval bombardments. We don't need a supergun, unless we all sign a contract that Soren will program the AI to use the supergun effectively and we can't turn around and whine to him about the AI being TOO powerful.

Sheesh. People never learn.
                      AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                      Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                      Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

I personally think that a new artillery type is desperately needed in the game but not the super cannon. The new artillery should be the self propelled artillery. It should have a movement of 2 and other stats should stay the same as regular arty but should not be capturable.

I find myself with 20 artillery (some captured some built) that cant keep up with the my advancing armor. It basically relegates the artillery to being solely a defensive unit when and useless for advancing. The self-propelled artillery is a must.

Also, on my new units priority list is the air defense gun.

"Misery, misery, misery. That's what you've chosen" -Green Goblin-

Comment

Originally posted by johncmcleod
                          Trip- I disagree. It wouldn't be useless. During World War 1, the Germans attack the Belgians at the forts of Liege got the crap beat out of them. Then they brought in 2 big berthas and bombarded the heck out of the Belgains and took the forts. If there was a unit like this, I think maybe it should be extremely expensive have a bombardment range of 5-10, and here's where my idea comes in. It could only travel on railroads just like the big berthas.
                          Are we talking rail guns, or super guns? If you're talking rail guns, then they're basically large siege guns. Big Bertha was a large, rail-mounted 420mm cannon, and useful for sieges. Something like the London Gun was useless, which is what I'm talking about.

Comment

Maybe what is needed is the opposite, not big guns but cheap little guns-- mortars. Only way I can think of implimenting in game would be to have additional unit similar to mech inf but now mech mortars, same def as mec inf but with offense have bombard capability.

Comment

I think its a good idea, but should only have a range of 3 squares and only travel on railroads.

A more pressing idea that should be considered is that of giving artillery a "Flak" Anti-Air capability, so you don't get pummeled to bits just because you've not invented flight yet.

I'm not saying it should be as powerful as a fighter, but you should be able to respond to bombing somehow rather than to just sit there and take it.

The percentage of hit probability could increase by 5% with every gun stationed in a square, up to a maximum of say 5 guns.

Comment

Working...
                              X