war-time economy is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barchan

Indeed, and I have a tough time swallowing a bitter defeat as well.

Sorry, I just couldn't help it....
    hi ,

losing a battle or two , aint a big deal , as long as you win the war , ....

have a nice day
    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
      I like to have my economy strong enough so that I can mass units without having to switch
      hi ,

still ones in a while it can be usefull to switch , ...

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag

hi ,

losing a battle or two , aint a big deal , as long as you win the war , ....

have a nice day
        panag,

That wooshing sound above your head was the sound of my joke flying over it. But it was very subtle, and since English doesn't appear to be your first language (at least I sincerely hope it isn't, anyway), I'll take your attempt to console me as being a genuine gesture of goodwill. However, if you reread my post and focus on the quoted phrase (particularly the word "inedible"), I think you'll get the joke.

You have yourself a nice little day as well, buddy.

Comment

War mobilization is a always a waste. One extra unit of shield production is nothing compared to the loss of the ability to build anything but units.

Oh yeah, and what about after you've taken everyone of your enemies civs cities except that junk size 1 city on the other side of the globe and they still refuse a peace treaty! Result - build units, build units, build units load them on a slow moving ship to go take care of them. Useless.

If you built your civ up right you won't need war mobilization. Just maintain a large standing army instead.

Comment

War Time Mobilization is the only way to build units. All others are a waste and lead to ruin.

Comment

Could we get a little more extreme, in either direction (or both)?

LOL
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

IMHO wartime economy if used properly is another powerful tool at our disposal for crushing the AI.

Allow me to briefly explain.

Wartime economy in the late industrial early modern eras is great because you usually have built up the infrastructure in all your cities that matter. So while you are at war why not pop out military units like there's no tomorrow? You'll crush your enemies sooner and maybe even bring them to the nego. table faster. Thus you go back to peace economy.

Just a thought.....
                signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Barchan

panag,

That wooshing sound above your head was the sound of my joke flying over it. But it was very subtle, and since English doesn't appear to be your first language (at least I sincerely hope it isn't, anyway), I'll take your attempt to console me as being a genuine gesture of goodwill. However, if you reread my post and focus on the quoted phrase (particularly the word "inedible"), I think you'll get the joke.

You have yourself a nice little day as well, buddy.
                  hi ,

so did you get the other joke also then , ......
                  english is the first , ......

anyway , it does not matter , .......

mobilization during a golden age is a nice way to get units fast , .........

an other way to get units faster is to plant some forest here and there , .....

maybe only a shield here or there , but they could make the differnce between the number of turns that you need for the unit(s) , ..

have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by ahenobarb
                    Oh yeah, and what about after you've taken everyone of your enemies civs cities except that junk size 1 city on the other side of the globe and they still refuse a peace treaty! Result - build units, build units, build units load them on a slow moving ship to go take care of them. Useless.
                    Well then your in a pickle, but that's just poor planning on your side. If you were smart and decided to mobilize, you would send troops to that city ASAP so you would avoid this prediciment.

Anyway, personaly I thing mobilization is great. It has been mentioned that you can't build temples or libraries in the cities you conquer. I don't know about you, but the level of unhappines and corruption in my new cities is so high, that the temple or library is 1/10th finished by the time the war ends. So I usually mobilize, and then use all those hordes of units to speed up the production in my new cities.

Also, one game I defeated an enemy with a horde of swordsmen, which I then used as the standard defense. I then wanted to upgrade them to riflemen, so I had to build them. So what I did is I waited until I was ready to conquer my next victim, so that the mobilization greatly increased the rate at which I replaced the swordsmen.

Also, I use mobilization because when I wage war I have the vast majority of my cities build units anyway. So I mobilize, incease the production rate, and overwhelm the AI, ending the war very quickly. This way, by mobilizing I think I am better of than if I waged normal war.

Another tactic that I like is in preperation for a major war with a strong civ. I attack a weak civ, mobilize, and pump out units to attack the strong civ. Then, after capturing several cities of the weak civ I offer them back in exchange for peace. This way I was able to quickly prepare for the major offensive.

Now, I play at Warlord, so these strategies might be completaly useless at higher levels of difficulty.
                    Bow down before my righteous indignation!

Comment

War-time mobilization is great for conquest games, where you need to keep production on units as much time as possible and do not have time for improvements (as you might not on smaller maps). For example, here's a game I played for the civfan toruney, now if I'd had time to finish this game I would likely have got the fastest finish in the Elite division (I did a lot of the game in just one day, which is why I neglected a lot of microing). In this game I demonstrate the use of war-time mobilization and railroads to achieve high production with virtually no city improvements but barracks:
                      Attached Files

Comment

I disagree. War mobilization is a tool of the weak. Only use it if you're about to get rolled over by another civ. Otherwise stay out of it during your wars.

The effect is to transfer control of your economy to the whim of your AI opponent. If you are a democracy you will get war weariness, if your mobilized you get it worse. The effect is that over the course of the war, more and more of your cities revolt, meaning that you have to take production away from actually producing units and change them to entertainers -- but the point of mobilization is to get that extra production bonus. What has actually happened is that you have become less productive, because less of your citizens are producing. ... And you are stuck because you can't get out without the peace treat, which the AI often won't give even after you've conquered 75% of his territory.

If your not mobilized, no peace treaty? Who cares -- I'm coming to get you! And your (the player's) cities are full of shiny happy people holding hands and you have shiny new swords or tanks hacking away at will in the enemy cities territories. You've got cultural improvements going up and you can continue to work on those marginal cities.

The most effective strategy is to stockpile units and keep them near the borders waiting to overwhelm your opponent. If you haven't done this already, war-mobilization isn't going to help much. The only time I would use War-mobilization is if your are behind in units ("Compared to these guys we have a weak military") In other words, its an act of deparation.

Comment

Originally posted by ahenobarb
                          If you are a democracy you will get war weariness, if your mobilized you get it worse.
                          Is this true? How do you know this?

Thanks, Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt

Is this true? How do you know this?

Thanks, Catt
                            hi ,

for every one drafted , one citizen unhappy for 20 turns , ...

have a nice day
                            Last edited by Panag; June 17, 2002, 14:48.

Comment

Originally posted by panag

hi ,

for every one drafted , one cirizen unhappy for 20 turns , ...

have a nice day
                              But mobilization is different than drafting. Mobilization is a change to economic output, not drafting.

Catt

Comment

Just like all other options of the game, it has a place and time when it is highly effective.

You can also wartime mobilize before you go to war. Just remember, though, you then HAVE to go to war to get out of it.

I don't typically use it, but I don't consider it a tool of the weak. I consider it an option in my Civ 3 toolkit, to be used in the appropriate way.

Maintaining a large standing army/military is expensive, both IRL and in Civ 3. I usually maintain a fair sized one, trying to stay equal to or bigger than the AI's. Even then, it is no guarantee. I have good old Gandhi demand stuff 2 times in my current game, both times I refused and he declared war. One was over a map he wanted. And my army was larger and more advanced than his!

The decision to mobilize or not is best done when the potential need arises. Are the benefits worth the costs? Only you can decide.

Comment

Working...
                                X