war-time economy is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• war-time economy is it worth it?

i had thought that a war-time economy was a great way to beef up your military when you were caught up on your infrastructure. now i think its an act of desperation.
    good...cheaper military cost
    bad...cant change out untill a peace treaty is signed (which is rarely up to the player), cant build anything but military and your per turn culture drops about 40%

can anyone list anymore reasons to use or not use a war-time economy?

There's a great thread on this in the Civ3-strategy forum. Try there for some details and strats with wartime economies.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

War-time economy just seems to prolong your inedible loss. You could probably use it successfully on a marginal game. I tend to use the ctrl+shift+Q instead. The AI however loves war-time economy.

Comment

There are times when it will save your ass. The same for drafting. Multiple front wars and massive AI alliances come to mind.

Comment

war-time economy is it worth it?
          yes.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

It's good for building spaceship components. Other than that, my regular economy seems sufficient to maintain any war.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
              It's good for building spaceship components. Other than that, my regular economy seems sufficient to maintain any war.
              You don't get the shield bonus for building spaceship parts (or military buildings / improvements) - you only get the shield bonus when building military units.

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                You don't get the shield bonus for building spaceship parts (or military buildings / improvements) - you only get the shield bonus when building military units.
                Oops, you're right. Been awhile since I a) built a spaceship, b) used wartime economy and c) got enough sleep. Mea culpa.

So no, the wartime economy usually isn't worth it unless you're on the losing side of a war with the AI, and how often does that happen once you have Nationalism?
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

It depends on how much you are at war. If you're going for domination or military victory, yes. If not, mostly no.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Mobilization saved me from a fate of military mediocrity once.

Since back then I was nothing more than a peaceful builder type, my military was extremely poor. And so, I used mobilization to force myself to beef it up (I always end up sidetracked by city improvements yet to be built. Take them away, and what else can I build (apart from wealth obviously)?). Within a short amount of time, I shot up to number 1 on the list of most powerful civs.

So for me, it helps break down the psychological barrier that compels me to build nothing but city improvements.
                    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

war time economy is KEY to my warmonger-ness-ocity, and is great for the late game, when all my major cities have all the improvements i need. TRUE not being able to build temples / libraries in the captured cities sucks a bit, but half priced units is more than a compensation.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Re: war-time economy is it worth it?

Originally posted by reefer addict
                        i had thought that a war-time economy was a great way to beef up your military when you were caught up on your infrastructure. now i think its an act of desperation.
                        good...cheaper military cost
                        bad...cant change out untill a peace treaty is signed (which is rarely up to the player), cant build anything but military and your per turn culture drops about 40%

can anyone list anymore reasons to use or not use a war-time economy?
                        hi ,

its good for when you go to war , except for that , ....but then again that is why its called war-time economy , ......and its a good thing , ......

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

i used it once when i had loads of modern armor on the boarder to who i was about to attack, it was a bit of a militery blunder and i was losing untis faster than expected, so i quickly changed to war time econamy and started pumping out modern armor and ended up with toment modern armor for my transport ships, haha!
                          Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                          For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
                            War-time economy just seems to prolong your inedible loss.
                            Indeed, and I have a tough time swallowing a bitter defeat as well.

Sorry, I just couldn't help it....

Comment

I like to have my economy strong enough so that I can mass units without having to switch
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X