No announcement yet.

Anti-Corruption Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After pondering this thread, I like Pep's original idea best: a unit that lowers corruption in a city by being fortified there. It should be stackable with, not convertible to, a courthouse. (Let's face it, courthouses just don't so all that much in cities that are very far away.)

For reasons mentioned by BillChin, you could only have a corruption unit of this sort - units for culture would be exploitable, and units for happiness, money and science would be redundant: we already have garrisons, entertainer, taxmen and scientists.

An anti-corruption unit would not be unbalancing, though, because if it ever left the city, production, research and income there would shoot right back down. Plus, since it is a unit, you would have to pay for its upkeep, thereby reducing your potential military power. It's a trade-off. And, when it comes down to it, the whole point of this game is making trade-offs of this sort.

Charge 120 or maybe even 160 shields for it, and make it available with Printing Press (thus giving some value to that otherwise useless tech).

Comment

Forgot to mention: to balance it out, corruption would have to go back up to near 1.17f levels. I actually like the idea of high corruption (let's face it, it happens), as long as there are things like this I could do to fight it.

Comment

good idea, maybe instead of a separate unit you could just have the leader do this...

Comment

Re: Anti-Corruption Unit

Originally posted by Pep
          One of the biggest problems of this game is the killing
          corruption. It's very hard when you found a town in
          an isle far away from your capital and you are stopped
          with 1 shield production. Unless, of course, you decide
          to buy a Courthouse...

Another approach to this problem may be the use of a
          "Viceroy" unit, for example. It should cost the same
          as a Courthouse (in number of shields) and have the
          property of convert in a Courthouse in a town which
          doesn`t have it. Thus, you can colonize an island with
          a caravel filled with a settler, "Viceroy" and a
          military unit.

What do you think?
          hi ,

maybe we should ask for a prison , ....there is a courthouse , but the criminals only have to report to the police station , .....

as for the rest , corruption is part of our every day live ,, .....

and you can always change the levels all the way to "zero" in the editor , .....

have a nice day
          Last edited by Panag; May 29, 2002, 18:24.
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I like the idea of having corruption reduced as long as the unit is fortified there, but I think that it would be far to powerful to allow it to transform into a courthouse, and I think that it would totally screw the corruption aspect of the game if it could create courthouses in multiple cities. If I had a clue hwo to use the editor, my fix to corruption would be to add the ability to fight corruption to most basic structues, i.e. temples and marketplaces....but I don't know how

Comment

PP73, it's pretty easy, open the editor, go to file->open, open civ3mod.bic, go to rules->edit rules, click the 'improvements' marker, find the barracks (for instance) in the pull-down menu, and then check the box that says "reduces corruption." Then hit "OK," close out of the editor, and say yes to saving.

You probably want to back up a copy of your civ3mod.bic foirst, of course. I didn't, of course.

Comment

Working...
              X