Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Largest troop movement? And a suggestion to SOREN...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest troop movement? And a suggestion to SOREN...

I am playing a Level-4-Game (Monarch) and had a peaceful coexistence with the French for 5700 years, when they suddenly invaded my territory with a troop of 107 infantry units.

I guess, that's it... anybody else ever did see an attack with more than hundred units... and survived? What has been the largest number of AI units you ever noticed moving in a troop?

--- Suggestion to Soren ---
    There is a nice event in case of barbarian uprisings:

#SUMMARY_BARBARIAN_EXPLOSION_CITY
    #advisor Military Surprised
    We have heard reports of a massive barbarian uprising near $CITY0!

My suggestion: if there exists an embassy in another nation, it should be possible to notice a mass movement of troops, something like that:

#SUMMARY_MILITARY_EXPLOSION_CIV
    We have heard reports of a massive troop movements in $CIVNAME!
    more than 10 units
    4.69%
    more than 20 units
    14.06%
    more than 30 units
    17.19%
    more than 40 units
    6.25%
    more than 50 units
    7.81%
    more than 60 units
    7.81%
    more than 70 units
    4.69%
    more than 80 units
    4.69%
    more than 90 units
    3.13%
    more than 100 units
    29.69%
    Kai · Team www.civilized.de

Very good suggestion. However, I have never seen the massive stacks that some others are reporting. Of course, I've never experienced 5700 years of peace with AIs on my own continent. Or should I say they have never experienced it with me.

You might be able to salvage the situation if you have not completely neglected your own forces. You may need to use some of the cheesier exploits though. Prepare yourself for the loss of that first city and see where it goes from there.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Leaving the AI alone that long is never a good idea - as they will build up unitl they have overwhealming forces and then try to crush you.

I survived India doing this to me as the English due to 2 reasons.
      First, I had a UU lying around that I got an easy kill with, giving me a golden age in the end-game
      Second, I was very near to completing the spaceship. With a golden-age, this was achieved while most of my other cities were producing armour.

That scared me though, 'peaceful' India launching their massive invasion...
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

i've seen it a couple of times, must say the ai was in a offensive-defensive position though, havn't seen the ai do it purely offensive.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'll describe the details in another thread, but in my current game, I have recently been subject to the following invasions, all at the Infantry / Rifleman and Cav / Knights / Longbowmen levels (non-upgrades due to to lack of cash, I guess):

Greece: Over 50 units in two stacks
          Germany: Over 50 units in three stacks
          France: Over 160 units in 4 stacks, but they haven;t actually attacked yet.

Each was followed, of course, by dribbles, ranging from 1 to 4 units.

I can;t believe what I've gotten myself into.

[Edit: BTW, I am still 6 turns from Replaceable Parts... life sucks]
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

For me, the largest AI stack I've seen is 60+. They were 'just passing through' to the poor Aztecs on the other side of me, without an RoP agreement with me.

It all started when I signed an MPP with them, and then the 'hot-headed' Aztecs made a pass through my borders in force. I was much bigger than they. I told them to scram, they declared war, The Chinese chimed in (their's is the huge stack), and over the years have gotten most everyone else against the Aztecs. I long since have taken all the good Aztec land and made peace with them. The Chinese stack of everything from Swordsmen to Infantry is still about 6 squares from what's left of the Aztecs.

I have now closed my border with the Chinese so they don't continue streaming across. Besides, they (and everyone else) finally got their act together and invaded by sea. Meanwhile, the Aztec communists have 8-12 1-and-2 size towns left, a couple dozen infantry and 1-4 tanks, all in hills and tundra (I have a spy in their war ministry), and basically no resources. I couldn't help them if I wanted to, trade-wise -- no harbors and no roads.

End of ramble...

JB
            Last edited by Jaybe; May 20, 2002, 00:52.

Comment

Request to Firaxis:
              If a horde of barbarians beset a town, and are victorious, let there be at least a chance that they raze it (if there isn't already). Either that, or hold it for ransom (sizeable $$). The one time that a horde successfully hit a town of mine, they took little cash, and then they poofed into thin air.

BTW, I was quite thankful. It had the fledgling Iroquois nation's only horse resource!

Thank you

JB

Comment

I think that's an idea

Comment

actually I'd say more than 60

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                    Request to Firaxis:
                    If a horde of barbarians beset a town, and are victorious, let there be at least a chance that they raze it (if there isn't already). Either that, or hold it for ransom (sizeable $$). The one time that a horde successfully hit a town of mine, they took little cash, and then they poofed into thin air.
                    I agree. I've been hit by so many barbs that after a while, they weren't doing any damage, just sacking the same size one city over and over. What's the point. Either capture or raze the city or just move to another target.

Comment

This happened to me yesterday.

I was minding my own business, playing a peaceful game of build-everything-in-all-my-cities when 91 French units (mostly Riflemen and Infantry, with a few Musketeers) showed up on my borders, in a part of my empire that I had taken from the recently-killed Chinese, who had in their turn taken from the also-dead Germans (neither of them were killed off by me, BTW). The French had a long-standing ROP agreement with me and weren't at war with anyone. Fearing an imminent invasion, I drafted a few Infantry and formed a line across their path to block access to my rail system. Then I cancelled the ROP with the French. Deprived of access to my extensive rail network, the troops left my empire, and I haven't seen them since. I wonder where they went.

In the meantime, I applied new technology, and started building lots of tanks and some extra Infantry. I had amassed about 60 or 70 tanks over about 5-10 turns when the Zulu got too tempted by a few workers I had working on the border and declared war to kill the workers off. Gee, poor Zulu, I almost felt sorry for them, declaring war on me when I was so able to kill them off. Over the course of a single turn that took me over an hour to play, I captured half of their cities with my new tank armies, fortified each with three Infantry, captured many Zulu workers, used the captured workers to build new railways to aid the offensive, and upgraded about half of my 200 Infantry to Mech Infantry.

Ah, 1796. That year will go down in history as a glorious year for the Japanese Empire (and the longest turn I have ever played in Civ3).

As an aside, I think a good way to pick a fight with an AI is to leave a lot of offensive troops sitting on their border and wait for them to attack you.
                      None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Re: Largest troop movement? And a suggestion to SOREN...

Originally posted by ColdFever
                        I am playing a Level-4-Game (Monarch) and had a peaceful coexistence with the French for 5700 years, when they suddenly invaded my territory with a troop of 107 infantry units.

I guess, that's it... anybody else ever did see an attack with more than hundred units... and survived? What has been the largest number of AI units you ever noticed moving in a troop?

--- Suggestion to Soren ---
                        There is a nice event in case of barbarian uprisings:

#SUMMARY_BARBARIAN_EXPLOSION_CITY
                        We have heard reports of a massive barbarian uprising near $CITY0!

My suggestion: if there exists an embassy in another nation, it should be possible to notice a mass movement of troops, something like that:

#SUMMARY_MILITARY_EXPLOSION_CIV
                        We have heard reports of a massive troop movements in $CIVNAME!
                        hi ,

would this not be a job for the intel agency , ........?

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

For me, the largest AI stack I've seen is 60+. They were 'just passing through' to the poor Aztecs on the other side of me, without an RoP agreement with me.

It all started when I signed an MPP with them, and then the 'hot-headed' Aztecs made a pass through my borders in force. I was much bigger than they. I told them to scram, they declared war, The Chinese chimed in (their's is the huge stack), and over the years have gotten most everyone else against the Aztecs. I long since have taken all the good Aztec land and made peace with them. The Chinese stack of everything from Swordsmen to Infantry is still about 6 squares from what's left of the Aztecs.

I have now closed my border with the Chinese so they don't continue streaming across. Besides, they (and everyone else) finally got their act together and invaded by sea. Meanwhile, the Aztec communists have 8-12 1-and-2 size towns left, a couple dozen infantry and 1-4 tanks, all in hills and tundra (I have a spy in their war ministry), and basically no resources. I couldn't help them if I wanted to, trade-wise -- no harbors and no roads.

End of ramble...

JB
                          hi ,

got some nuke's , ...........
                          or some money to spare , ........?

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                            got some nuke's , ...........
                            or some money to spare , ........?
                            panag,
                            It's just approaching time to be able to build Tactical Nukes, but no-one has built 'the bomb' yet. If it was available, I THINK the Chinese are my only obstacle to a cultural win.

... or were you referencing something else?

Have a fulfilling day,

JB

Comment

panag,
                              It's just approaching time to be able to build Tactical Nukes, but no-one has built 'the bomb' yet. If it was available, I THINK the Chinese are my only obstacle to a cultural win.

... or were you referencing something else?

Have a fulfilling day,

JB
                              hi ,

hmmm , money , .......so they can buy units , close the border with them , so their enemy cant move true , ..........give them a city with everything in it , when they are down to a couple city's , make sure no one can get at that city , ..................

allas , you could also start a war with the foreign troops that "thread" on you , .........;

have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                              X