Commemorating Military Victories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commemorating Military Victories

One of the things that I would like to see added to the Civ series is the military victory monument.

For instance if there a was a collosal battle that the player won, the capital city will get the opportunity to build a small wonder commemortaing that victory. Like the L' Arc de Triomphe or Trafalgar Square, etc. Or for that matter if you capture the enemy capital, another victory monument can be built. And/or if you completely annialate a civ another small wonder will be made available. These small wonder will make culture but also increase econonomy (more tourists ), increase production (inspiring the people), etc.

Also, I am a big fan of satisfaction. I like to feel satisfied when I accomplish something in the game like winning a war by getting th enemy to capitulate or destroying them all together. One of the ways I feel satisfied in other games is when they show my stats.

So, what I propose is that after each war that is completed (won or lost) a consise stat list be made available.
    The stats could include:
    - Number of units made during the war and then break it down by types
    - Cities captured/lost with names
    - Civilians killed (razings, pop-rushing)
    - If there were any "epic" battles (more than 10 units from each side involved)
    - Territory lost/gained
    - etc

Something that lists the achievements/bumblings that occured during the war in a consise way so that wars that lasted for 20-30 turns are not just forgotten as soon as the treaty is signed or the civ destroyed. So that at the end of the game, the player can see the wars summarized.

I think the Victory Monuments and the war summaries would do a great deal towards giving the player more "satisfaction"

What do you chaps think?
    "Misery, misery, misery. That's what you've chosen" -Green Goblin-

Having this would be really cool, it would be even better if we could name parts of the world that we have discovered (e.g. chazawaza jungle, on the island on cocomunger.). Then in the new ‘monument’ screen it could tell you about the war against the Japanese on Cocomunger island, a great battle air battle over the Chazawaza jungle took place, and 500 pilots were lost, along with 200 Paras from the so-and-so regiment where lost in this major battle. It could also clock how many units died (Each unit could count as 50 men/craft). If you have loads of air units died, it can say it was an air battle, if you lost loads of tanks/mech infantry it could be a blitzkrieg.

I would so like to name parts of the world, and we could even have a mini play back screen that shows you how that small battle went like when you finish a game (mini map play back)
    Help negate the vegiterian movement!
    For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

also like to be able to name units/armys, like in imperium galactica 2

Comment

also like to be able to name units/armys, like in imperium galactica 2
        And places, like in Alpha Centauri.
        Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

i said that in my first post!, it should be like, the line tool in MS paint, keep on drawing lines till they all join, then name that land the shape is over.

Comment

All great ideas guys. I often feel that my Civ does not reward my conquest success enough...

But seriously, it would add to the 'feel' of the game a whole lot.
            "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
            --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

It shouldn't just happen when you win, if you lose about half your army it should ask you if you want to create one, building one after a battle could make your civs a little happyer. Being able to name them too would be cool, The Japanese/American war. it should place them in parts of the city where a wonder would usualy stand (a wonder sombody else built so that space isn't going to be used is it!).

Comment

Yeah, there should ne more scope for personalising things in Civ3
                Up the Irons!
                Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                Odysseus and the March of Time
                I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

After completely destroying a civ, the winning civ should be given the chance to build a small wonder that increases research and production by a modest but powerful 10% due the incorporation of scientists and workers from the defeated civ into the labor pool of the winning civ.

This should give every civ an incentive not to let any other civ be wiped out because the winning civ will get a pretty effective bonus. Right now, no civ gives a rat's rear end if a big civ just mauls a weak one. Also, it would make the computer civs more interested in protecting a weak civ from the human infidels.

Comment

Originally posted by Navyman
                    After completely destroying a civ, the winning civ should be given the chance to build a small wonder that increases research and production by a modest but powerful 10% due the incorporation of scientists and workers from the defeated civ into the labor pool of the winning civ.
                    I like the idea, but this would increase the frustration when I knock out a civ, yet another civ takes the last city and their 'rampaging' forces get credit for the kill.

Comment

I don't see something like that happening... enough emphasis is placed on wars in this game, and, to be honest, I like wars, but this isn't a war game. Adding things like this to Civ would make wars an even more important part of the game, and as it is, enough time is spent fighting wars.

Comment

at least give us the tool to name areas, i want to name seas and jungles and islands and reagons!

Comment

Still, on the point about personalising your civ: it's be nice to create and name regions in your empire, group together units and keep them to gether over time under one name (so you get regiments with histories) and so on.
                          Up the Irons!
                          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                          Odysseus and the March of Time
                          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Re: Commemorating Military Victories

Originally posted by Navyman
                            One of the things that I would like to see added to the Civ series is the military victory monument.

For instance if there a was a collosal battle that the player won, the capital city will get the opportunity to build a small wonder commemortaing that victory. Like the L' Arc de Triomphe or Trafalgar Square, etc. Or for that matter if you capture the enemy capital, another victory monument can be built. And/or if you completely annialate a civ another small wonder will be made available. These small wonder will make culture but also increase econonomy (more tourists ), increase production (inspiring the people), etc.

Also, I am a big fan of satisfaction. I like to feel satisfied when I accomplish something in the game like winning a war by getting th enemy to capitulate or destroying them all together. One of the ways I feel satisfied in other games is when they show my stats.

So, what I propose is that after each war that is completed (won or lost) a consise stat list be made available.
                            The stats could include:
                            - Number of units made during the war and then break it down by types
                            - Cities captured/lost with names
                            - Civilians killed (razings, pop-rushing)
                            - If there were any "epic" battles (more than 10 units from each side involved)
                            - Territory lost/gained
                            - etc

Something that lists the achievements/bumblings that occured during the war in a consise way so that wars that lasted for 20-30 turns are not just forgotten as soon as the treaty is signed or the civ destroyed. So that at the end of the game, the player can see the wars summarized.

I think the Victory Monuments and the war summaries would do a great deal towards giving the player more "satisfaction"

What do you chaps think?
                            hi ,

if it could not be included then it would be nice to have it written down as a "casualty-timeline" , ....and to see it with the military advisor or so , ...

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

If this isn't a war game then what is the Modern Times for? There certainly isn't anything else to do!

Getting back to the topic...

I would like at least the wars to be summarized at the end of the war. Where the end of the war is marked by peace treaty and or destruction of the civ(s). At least that much seems feasible.

I like the idea of having monuments to commemorate battlefield victories but be limited to producing just culture.

Comment

Working...
                              X