Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firaxis: Did you intend to auto raze Wonders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firaxis: Did you intend to auto raze Wonders?

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but I discounted it as a bug. Besides, the fellow did not post a save.

The situation is thus: It's 1520ce and the righteous forces of enlightenment (AKA the Romans) are about to liberate Memphis from eeevil Alex and his Greek minions of doom.

Gentle Memphis is but a shadow of its former self. Most of the gentle folk have been drafted into the Greek Army of Darkness, leaving only some 13,000 citizens (1 pop) in a city once capable of completing a Wonder of the World (that cow Cleo beat me to the Great Lighthouse).

As the players enter the stage our Legions of Liberation are about to free the gentle folk of Memphis from the grasp of the evil ones. And I'll have another Wonder show up Red on F7.

But wait. As our crusading forces dispatch the last of the ghouls, we are greeted not with the no-brainer question of whether to install a governor or raze. No, we are greeted with the news that our Paladins have destroyed Memphis. Noooooooooo. This cannot be.

Never will there be that one extra Red entry in F7. We cannot believe that the Gods meant it to be so. Thus we turn our faces to the heavens and beseech great Jupiter and mighty Mars (Soren and Mike).

Oh exhulted ones. Hear the pleas of your grateful followers. Please deliver unto us our justly deserved gains of conquest errr, liberation. Please deliver unto us all of our Great Wonders so that we may polish them, and admire them, and give thanks to the Gods for their very existence, and count all the Red spots on F7.

::Maddly Munching M&Ms and washing them down with Beeerr!::

And here is the programme for our play:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by notyoueither; May 12, 2002, 02:58.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Well, the autoraze function depends not on wonders, but on population and culture. Since the Lighthouse was built by Cleo and Alex captured it, it didn't generate culture for Alex's Memphis anymore. Hence, autoraze. But I think, the decision not to let a wonder generate culture for conquerors is right anyway.

Comment

I thought it should have continued, because it had cultural value greater than 0 at some time in the game.

The theory behind the auto raze is to prevent the following of settlers and taking cities as soon as they are founded, right? Well I don't believe that applies to cities founded in 3000bc that have built Wonders and are occupied 4500 years later.

Dunno. Maybe you are right and this is the intention of the designers. I'll chew away at M&Ms anyway.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Wouldn't the city have generated some culture for someone since its inception? That should be enough to prevent auto-razing.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
          Wouldn't the city have generated some culture for someone since its inception? That should be enough to prevent auto-razing.
          Started out as Egyptian, taken by the Greeks which probably destroyed all improvements (or is it just cultural improvements that count re auto-raze?). It seems the Greeks never added any improvements before NYE 'liberated' it. The Greeks are usually better than that, but perhaps they were too busy with a Roman war to build anything there.

BTW, Great post, NYE!
          [To make up for the small print of mine you commented on previously. If you really want to make it too small too read, try increasing the resolution on your monitor!]

Comment

Re: Firaxis: Did you intend to auto raze Wonders?

Originally posted by notyoueither
            I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but I discounted it as a bug. Besides, the fellow did not post a save.

The situation is thus: It's 1520ce and the righteous forces of enlightenment (AKA the Romans) are about to liberate Memphis from eeevil Alex and his Greek minions of doom.

Gentle Memphis is but a shadow of its former self. Most of the gentle folk have been drafted into the Greek Army of Darkness, leaving only some 13,000 citizens (1 pop) in a city once capable of completing a Wonder of the World (that cow Cleo beat me to the Great Lighthouse).

As the players enter the stage our Legions of Liberation are about to free the gentle folk of Memphis from the grasp of the evil ones. And I'll have another Wonder show up Red on F7.

But wait. As our crusading forces dispatch the last of the ghouls, we are greeted not with the no-brainer question of whether to install a governor or raze. No, we are greeted with the news that our Paladins have destroyed Memphis. Noooooooooo. This cannot be.

Never will there be that one extra Red entry in F7. We cannot believe that the Gods meant it to be so. Thus we turn our faces to the heavens and beseech great Jupiter and mighty Mars (Soren and Mike).

Oh exhulted ones. Hear the pleas of your grateful followers. Please deliver unto us our justly deserved gains of conquest errr, liberation. Please deliver unto us all of our Great Wonders so that we may polish them, and admire them, and give thanks to the Gods for their very existence, and count all the Red spots on F7.

::Maddly Munching M&Ms and washing them down with Beeerr!::

And here is the programme for our play:
            hi ,

poor romans , snif , snif , ........
            okay , all the city's size one are burned to the ground , because they dont want anything to fall in the hands of jupiter and his false religion , .... , .......

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

this is why i say captured wonders should produce culture
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I agree that Wonders should produce culture for the conguering, er, liberating civ AFTER a few turns . If the canadians were to invade and take Hoover dam, it would eventually become Canadian, eh.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                  this is why i say captured wonders should produce culture
                  hi ,

even if they would , the poor romans still lost a wonder , .....
                  the gods must be crazy , .....

have a wonder day !
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I thought size one cities were always razed, regardless of presence of wonders? Or am I just confusing CivIII with SMAC again?
                    Fitz. (n.) Old English
                    1. Child born out of wedlock.
                    2. Bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitz
                      I thought size one cities were always razed, regardless of presence of wonders? Or am I just confusing CivIII with SMAC again?
                      hi ,

i believe that that is right , ......

of course in this case , the romans should not have starved all the people to death , ......

so much for a fast strike , .....

have a nice day

Comment

Wonders produce culture. Culture > 0 = no auto raze.

I think it is a bug in the auto raze code. Imagine the following:

Your capital gets captured. You aren't totally out of it yet, because you have allies who are at war with your enemy. So you gather your forces to retake Kingville.

Meanwhile, your nasty oppo has drafted the city down to 1 pop. Then *gasp* one of your allies takes it just before you. Boom. Gone. No joy.

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          Wonders produce culture. Culture > 0 = no auto raze.

I think it is a bug in the auto raze code. Imagine the following:

Your capital gets captured. You aren't totally out of it yet, because you have allies who are at war with your enemy. So you gather your forces to retake Kingville.

Meanwhile, your nasty oppo has drafted the city down to 1 pop. Then *gasp* one of your allies takes it just before you. Boom. Gone. No joy.

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.
                          hi ,

roman leader , please give more details on your zip-file ,

map , version , mods , .....etc ,...;

have a nice day

Comment

Standard, Large Continents, Normal Climate, Warm Temperature, 4 Billion.

1.21. Modded to add Coracle (seems to be the learner) and Naval Air (lethal bmb at sea).
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Was Egypt still about? It might count the city as having no culture produced if the civ it produced culture for was destroyed.

Comment

Working...
                              X