Tribes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribes

Which is the best tribe to star off with and which is the worst tribe can anybody help. as many veiw as u like please
    http://www.skydigi.20m.comhttp://www.phunboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I like to play the Germans, just cause Germany is cool, and also the Russians every now and then (when I play on a real map). Basically it's just your preference though... though industrial and commercial civs can be very useful later on once you have large cities.

Comment

I can definitely reccomend anyone that is industrious. SOOOO much time save, and in civ3, time is money.... With the UU's (unique units) think about WHEN you want to get an edge over the AI. If you like to build for 4000 years before going to war, then any civ with an ancient age UU is pretty much "out of the tree" so to say. The game is mostly fairly balenced so there isn't one best civ that always wins, but picking the wrong civ for the job can make your life harder (or just not make it easier, which is the same thing)

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Well, I hate to say it, but I like the French... they may be pink, and their UU may suck, but religious/industrious IMO is the best combo there is. Besides, the UU of any civ isn't a whole lot better than the unit itself... I can't tell the difference between fighting off elephants, samurai, or riders... they're basically just hyped-up knights to me.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I like the Iriquois.

Why? The religious trait is IMHO the best ability. Anarchy lasts one turn during a revolution and each turn is so important in this game, especially if you're in democracy at war, don't want it to collapse in the midst of a war and wait 4 or 6 turns to install a republic.

The second trait, expansionist is of limited value, it depends on the map type you play. I play huge pangaes so there is a lot of room for my scouts to scour the land, to find other civs early and find luxuries to plant cities on. Also since they only get good things from goody huts, I usually just hit the "E" key and they explore automatically finding many techs and gold and occassionally the new settler. the techs are hugely important, sometimes I can find almost all of the ancient techs, getting quite a boost.

Finally, I love the Irq's UU, the mounted warrior. Great early attack unit, comes instead of horsemen, 3/1/2-works well until the middle age pikemen, where they can upgrade to knights when needed. I try to use the MWs to take out a civ or two nearby to secure more land early in the game. Plus The early Golden age, pumping out Mw's from maybe 10-15 cities is helpful as that early edge can catapult you to the lead where you will remain the rest of the game.

Comment

Roman. Legions rule, and besides... All the others are either Barbarians or are daughters of Rome.
            Last edited by notyoueither; May 10, 2002, 23:45.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

For a more peaceful game, the Babylonians are, well, 'diety'. Religious & Scientific, they get those improvements at HALF PRICE. Their UU, OTH is not so hot.

Comment

Another Civ I like to play as is the Japanese

Their traits I find suit my playing style quite well.

Religious-to add to what I previously said, half price temples=early culture and border growth. cheap cathedrals also, helps happiness quite a lot

militaristic-quick promotions to elite which means a greater likelihood to gain great leaders. Also cheaper barracks.

The Jap UU, I don't find to be very useful, the samurai, replacing knights, but I think that the traits outweigh the lackluster UU

I'm not sure there is a "bad" civ to play as. I'm sure that every civ has its advocates (maybe except for the english and their UU) because each civ has different stregths. And people can choose their civ based on the game type they like to play.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
                  Well, I hate to say it, but I like the French... they may be pink, and their UU may suck, but religious/industrious IMO is the best combo there is. Besides, the UU of any civ isn't a whole lot better than the unit itself... I can't tell the difference between fighting off elephants, samurai, or riders... they're basically just hyped-up knights to me.
                  The French are Commercial and Industrial.

The French UU is more effective in the blitz mod, how I like it to be. The UU is a 4.4.1 while regular Musketmen are 3.4.1 instead of the usual 2.4.1. I find it rather odd that Knights are better attackers than Musketmen, but who am I to complain.

Comment

As a rule I like to go with a civ that has its UU early: the Zulu Impi, Roman Legionary, Japanese Samuri (don't like the Jag Warrior though...too weak). REX is less important with v1.21, but early prowess is still key to winning the game.

However, I just finished my first game with the Germans and going into battle with the Panzer and getting my golden age later has big benifits. It helps you advance in tech and wonder production in the (sometimes) key mid/late game.

It just depends on what you want.

Comment

I like the Aztec because of their Jag Warrior. You can explore the map quickly with a unit that is not defenseless (like a scout) and you don't need the expansionist ability. Actually, expansionist is the least attractive ability to me.
                      The most important is industrious or religious, IMO. And then either militaristic or commercial as second property.
                      But you also have to take into account the UUs. I like UU which are faster than the normal ones. Speed is more important to attack/defense bonus (again IMO).
                      I think the German and American UUs come way to late and the English UU is useless, so I never play one of these.

Comment

As long as you can survive, the American and German UUs can be very important. Assuming you're on equal terms with the rest of the world, a sudden (modded) upgrade from cavalry to Panzers for the Germans can mean an unstoppable offensive for quite a few turns until Modern Armor comes around. Being that Civ III becomes a slug-fest later on, having a good unit to rely on at that time can be helpful. If you like to pound on civs early (I don't, personally), then an early UU should be able to give you the advantage early on. It all depends on your strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucilla
                          I like the Aztec because of their Jag Warrior. You can explore the map quickly with a unit that is not defenseless (like a scout) and you don't need the expansionist ability. Actually, expansionist is the least attractive ability to me.
                          That is one of the few things I change in the editor. I have changed the scout from 0/0/2 to 0/1/2. He can't destroy barb. encampments, but at least he can survive if he stumbles on one on his second move.

I figure anybody can find something to defend themselves with.
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Does the Scout actually have a defensive animation? If not what does he do when he's attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                              Does the Scout actually have a defensive animation? If not what does he do when he's attacked.
                              To tell the truth I never paid much attention. I'll have to see.
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X