No announcement yet.

i hate mining grasslands!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. A mine, being made into a Mine Complex, or Refinery by workers. Irrigation can be worked into Farmland. Road to railroad isn't enough. Just because the cities look modern doesn't mean I don't want the countryside around it to look modern too.
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I like the ideas utilized in old Civ2 scenarios like 2194 dars of war... each "mine" is instead an industrial complex, that takes a lot of time to build but provides major shield production. Perhaps it could replace a mine in the industrial age, providing twice as many shields, but put out a bit of pollution.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I agree with the "mines on grasslands" thing; I think it looks horrible too.

However, after I threw aesthetic appeal out the window and started doing it, I started winning games more often. There's no way around it, it's just sound strategy; your pop maxes out way too soon at size 12 if you irrigate (Hospitals are so far away). Heck, they max out really fast even if you don't irrigate anywhere, once you've started building.

What is really dumb is that you'd never place mines everywhere in real life. To me, mines are places where lie especially rich deposits of . Early civilizations were much more likely to irrigate than anything else; having mines everywhere seems to me to be a sign of Industrialization (for lack of a better explanation). That's why I don't mind putting Railroads everywhere because I want everything to look industrialised.

In SMAC, you would only put Mines on Rocky tiles, and either Forests or Farms on other tiles. This made a lot more sense to me, and looked a lot better.

Dominae
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

you people think too much

i maximize production in every city. i irrigate enough squares to get the city to size 21 and then i mine the rest of the map.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
            Thinking is an important part of developing a strong, smart, healthy mind. The brain is like a muscle. Won't become smarter unless it gets used frequently.
            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

i maximize production in every city. i irrigate enough squares to get the city to size 21 and then i mine the rest of the map.
              Exactly! What use are any people after size 21? VERRRYYY little. Maximize production!

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

No mining on grasslands????

... and the greenies and conservationsists have come to IV!

Civ is getting more realistic all the time
                ------------------------------------
                Cheers
                Exeter.
                -------------------------------------

Comment

YES! more people on my side!

i'm trying to get over my anti-mine way of thinking. last night i *gasp* replaced a few forests with mines. but ONLY if they were near mountains, or if i could arrange them to make it look like a little village. i know maximizing production is very important (well, duh), but to me it's important that everything looks nice too. i often destroy all of my early terraforming for aesthetic reasons. i implemented another thought on making my empire look nice - farms and (ugh) mines go close to the city, like on the squares right next to it. that way you can build your railroad in those squares, thus increasing production and surround the whole town, making it look like a busy little metropolis. forests go on the outskirts of town, and spaces that are being unused get forested as well. everything blends in so nicely that way.

i would never throw aesthetic appeal completely out the window, but i don't really like sacrificing production, either. i'll continue to try to find compromises.
                  drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

Originally posted by Slax
                    Someone should turn the mine icon into a little village.
                    Werd.

-FMK.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Mines on Grassland bother you?

Who cares...I bet you go to the other beach?

This game is about winning...not pretty maps....It is about whipping butt. Production is King....produce more..build more...earn more...spend more.

"You don't like the mines on your grasslands because they look bad"....I am roflmfao. Maybe you should invite your friends over and dance to YMCA by the Village People..don't forget your Crisco.

Flakes are everywhere

Comment

dude, the game is "about" whatever you want it to be about! and note the word "game." just because i like my empire to look pretty doesn't mean i can't win a war or build a space shuttle. it's an empire building game, and that can mean whatever you want it to mean. some people play it to conquer the world, some play the tech game, some just want to survive, and some happen to enjoy improving the land in a specific way. you can play on many different levels, and that's what makes it fun and interesting. i know that in some peoples' *cough* boring *cough* mathematical minds, the only thing that matters is prduction. but to me, things like expanding the palace and prettying up your empire really MAKE the game. you have your opinion and i have mine. don't call me a flake just because i don't play your way. go rush build your military or something.
                        drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

Mines on grasslands/plains are HORRIBLE. I played my first few games not even realizing you _could_ ... i still only do so as minimally as possible because it looks STUPID and feels all wrong. Please, someone come out with a cool replacement mine icon!!! =) Fight the power!
                          Caelicola

Comment

Mines on Grassland are fine, but in general I tend not to do it, I'll mine plains, hills, and Mountains, and save the grassland for irrigation.

Comment

Kill the mines, and all the forests too. I always chop down all the forests and jungles even when they are well outside the city radius. Same reason, I just like the way it looks, all flat and irrigated and completly covered in railroads.

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Squares inside a city's radius, all mined, irrigated and railroaded.

Outside of that, on the grasslands/plains, I plant forests. Apart from that, I leave it all alone afterward. If there's still jungle left in those squares, I leave it alone too.

That's what I think looks the nicest, while remaining developed.

Comment

Working...
                                X