No announcement yet.

Most valuable resource?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about luxury resources? Usually not, I suppose, but if you start with none, it's very annoying.

Iron is big through Industrial...then, take your pick. Rubber?

Comment

I'd say horses too. If I don't see horses in a reasonable distance of my cities as soon as I discover The Wheel, I usually start a new game. Horses are faithful, they never deplete (same with rubber). I don't really care about own iron (but I like to prevent the AI to get some). I don't need it till chivalry, and by this time, my horsemen conquered at least 3 iron deposits. Swordsmen are nice toys, but far too slow for me. After this, pretty much every resource is a must-have. Saltpeter for cavalry, coal for railroads, rubber for infantry and tanks, oil for tanks and a modern navy, aluminium and uranium for modern weapons and spaceship parts.

Comment

Tangent room, table for eight, please.

Maybe I should rething horsemen. Are they really that valuable? If so, why haven't I been using them?

Sorry for the tangent, but hey, it's my thread, n'est-ce pas?
        Frodo lives!

Comment

Horsemen are valued because of their retreat ability and the fact that they can move up to 6 tiles in one turn (with roads of course). The retreat increases their survivability and their range is double that of swordsmen or archers. Since they are the same cost as swordsmen, it is a question of preference, and many people here prefer the horsemen. Swordsmen are more likely to win a combat, but overall, less horsemen wind up dead after the same battle.

I beleive there was a thread about Swordsmen vs Horsemen or somesuch in the "Strategy" forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
            From my perspective it is Horses. If I have Horses it won't matter where future resources are, I'll have them all.
            That's exactly how I feel. With horsemen, I could quickly get iron since I need iron to upgrade my horsemen to knights.

Comment

Iron is a good choice. With Iron a player can usually conquer any other resource. Without Iron a player may have a hard time. Horses are ok, but not enough against Hoplites, Legionaires or Pikemen. Iron also is needed for Knights for the first war on Large maps.

What I was thinking is the an early Cow is the best. I'll take an early cow icon on grass over most anything else. Cows give a huge production and population boost, more so than other starting resources. Wheat on Flood plains is good too, but that is really two, not one.

Comment

Horses, then Iron, then Coal. Usually if I have the first two I can "acquire" the rest

Comment

kcbob,

I'm all about the horseman rush. I've developed a very specific strategy dedicated to it. Basically, I use Japan (start with wheel), build a bunch of vet chariots, save up gold while avoiding the discovery of horseback riding, and then *poof* upgrade them all to horsemen when I'm ready. All of a sudden I have 20 horsemen or so to throw at the AI. I usually try to bring along some swordsmen, but can easily do without them.

Horsemen vs. Swordsmen is all about survivability speed, and upgradeability. Since the RNG often gives wacky results, I'd rather have horsies that can retreat. I tried a pure swordsmen rush once, and took horrible casualties (I recall losing 6 swordsmen in a row to a spearman in a size6 city on grassland, not crossing a river).

Horsemen become Knights (or equivalent UU) which become Cavalry (or equivalent). Swordsmen are a dead end. Useful here and there, but I'd rather put the bulk of my resources into something with a long upgrade path.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I hadn't thought about the upgrade of horsemen into knights/cavalry. I might have to give that a try in my next new game.
                    Frodo lives!

Comment

It has got to be horses. Like others have said, with horses you can get the other resources, especially since I am also an Iroquois nut and mounted ponies rule

R:PM
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

With horses, you're not going to get rubber or oil. You'll get iron, but not the later resources.

It's important to get oil and rubber in your territory. I am, of course, assuming that most players don't advance light-years beyond the AI in tech.

Cavalry vs infantry... a mess of dead horses and guys with sabers.

Comment

Unless of course, you plan on conquering the world with horsemen and knights.

Comment

I think it's indisputably Iron, and a second choice for me would be oil.

I can go a whole game sans horses.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
                              Iron is incredibly important for my style...although the AI seems to value uranium pretty highly; the americans offered me 110 gold/turn for some on my last game.
                              Why would you ever trade uranium to the trigger happy AI? I guess you can use the 110/turn to clean up after armageddon.

-Apolex

Comment

Originally posted by Apolex
                                Why would you ever trade uranium to the trigger happy AI? I guess you can use the 110/turn to clean up after armageddon.
                                LOL! Very funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X