Most valuable resource?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most valuable resource?

After playing Civ III for the past few months, I have reached a conclusion. Iron is the MVR, most valuable resource. No iron, no swordsmen, no railroad, no chance. What do you all think?
    Frodo lives!

Iron is a good choice.

Then rubber. No rubber, no infantry, no tanks.

And oil. No oil, no tanks, no airplanes, no modern ships.

Comment

Without iron there's no railroad so theres no boom in production/food. In my games, its the only "must have".
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Ha!
        Has anyone gone without railroads lately? I think coal also belongs on this most-wanted list, though my 1st inclination was rubber.

Bottom line -- does anyone (in a half-way successful game) ever go without anything?

JB

Comment

Maybe I should clarify... If I don't have iron within reach of my civilization, I'm sunk. Sure, you can trade for all resources but if I have to trade for iron, I'd just as soon restart the game.
          Frodo lives!

Comment

Coal and Iron allow for an early lead in the game, so one can win other resourses.
            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Grrr´s right, Iron and Coal gives an edge visavi the other civs. So I would have to say that these are the most important resources.
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by kcbob
                Maybe I should clarify... If I don't have iron within reach of my civilization, I'm sunk. Sure, you can trade for all resources but if I have to trade for iron, I'd just as soon restart the game.
                If there´s iron near your border on enemy territory, there´s always the ´ole sneak attack-option available
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Iron is incredibly important for my style...although the AI seems to value uranium pretty highly; the americans offered me 110 gold/turn for some on my last game.

Comment

Iron isn't really important in the early going, but I want it by the time I've hit the middle ages. Obviously, it's huge once you have Steam Power, along with Coal.

My intial gut reaction, though, was rubber. No rubber = no infantry & no tanks. You can still at least have infantry w/o oil, though that's a tough situation also.

Upon further reflection, the most painful for me would be a lack of horses. Of course, this just about never happens, so I didn't think of it at first... but I would hate to be deprived of horsemen/knights/cavalry. OUCH.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

From my perspective it is Horses. If I have Horses it won't matter where future resources are, I'll have them all.

From the AI's perspective it is Iron and Rubber. I try to keep them from getting their hands on these two. They are the only 2 things that can slow down the Horsemen/Knights/Cavalry rush.

Comment

i agree with the previous two that horses are the most important to me. I usually play as the iriquois and thus, no horses = no mw's=more difficult ancient age. I like to get a quick jump sometimes, and they last for a long time. Not to mention no knights no cav's. Thats a long time to tanks to be slugging it out on foot.

Comment

There's that popular (and sometimes absolutely necessary) tactic of expanding/attacking aggressively early on. Without iron there's none of that, and you can't get your needed advantage until much later.
                          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Either Iron or rubber. If you don't have iron you miss out on the most potent Ancient and Medieval Units. Without rubber you lose Infantry and Tanks.
                            "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Depends on what civ you play as. If you're the Iroquois, then horses are by far the most important resource; if you have those then you can build your UU and conquer everything around you in the ancient ages. If you're the Persians, iron is critical for exactly the same reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X