Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever turn off the civ-specific abilities and units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain, I understand and respect your arguments, but I suggest that you're missing part of what Firaxis was trying to do with this concept.

For whatever reason, throughout the course of history, different cultures have, of course, developed certain strenghs and weaknesses... not that we know why, but it is certainly true.

Much of human history has been defined by the interaction of those different characteristics. Now, the mechanism and impact on gameplay may be in question, but I think Firaxis was trying to create a situation where those cultural differences could come into play. This started before Civ3, and the current game represents an effort to further the concept. It's not meant to be a "genetic" thing, but rather a differentiation thing.

I think (IMHO), that you would be happier with a more sophisticated application, where unique characteristics, traits, units, etc., arose organically through the play of each civ, human and AI, in a given game. So would I, probably, but I would imagine that that would be much much more difficult to program.

I haven't tried the level playing field yet, but I will, both to test the enjoyment of gameplay, and to prep for MP (my belief as to why it's there). I recommend that you try turning civ-specific on... you don't have to play a circumscribed game according to your UU or traits, believe me, and neither do the AI civs.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
      Since seeing the overwelming number of people have the civ traits on, I wonder if that's the reason for Tank killing Spearmen.

BTW: I leave it on.

not this one again please!!!!!!!!!

i leave them on aswell, much more fun!!!!
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I LOVE the civ-specific units! It actually makes a differance now which civ you pick. Great improvement over Civ 2 in this area.
        "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
          For whatever reason, throughout the course of history, different cultures have, of course, developed certain strenghs and weaknesses... not that we know why, but it is certainly true.

Much of human history has been defined by the interaction of those different characteristics. Now, the mechanism and impact on gameplay may be in question, but I think Firaxis was trying to create a situation where those cultural differences could come into play. This started before Civ3, and the current game represents an effort to further the concept. It's not meant to be a "genetic" thing, but rather a differentiation thing.

I think (IMHO), that you would be happier with a more sophisticated application, where unique characteristics, traits, units, etc., arose organically through the play of each civ, human and AI, in a given game. So would I, probably, but I would imagine that that would be much much more difficult to program.
          Certainly. You've put it quite well, that's exactly what I'm trying to say. I don't begrudge that UUs exist, I just don't think it was implemented well.

I am not sure that it would be all that difficult to make it more organic. For instance, they could have simply added a Building requirement for certain units (certain bldgs are already prerequisites for other bldgs, why not units?). Then, we have the flag which makes certain types of bldgs replace each other (such that you can never have more than 1, I think the default game has the different power plants replace each other ). Just make the UU dependent on the bldg. Thus you could only have one kind at any time. Make the bldg a small wonder. This would prevent different ones in different cities. Admittedly you could build them in series and then have different UUs, but the cost of the small wonder would account for the benefits gained. Remember that they've now lost the ability to produce their last type of UU so they'd better be sure about wanting to switch.

All the structures are in place, all a firaxian has to do is toggle them on - unless of course they've hardcoded it so only bldgs need prereqs and units don't. I wouldn't be surprised considering how many hardcoded limits there are in the editor.

I have to admit that the civ-specific traits would be very useful for scenarios, esp. alien ones, or specific historical eras. Then I would admit that there might be some "genetic" codes or at least for a certain era, a civ had certain dominant skills (e.g. the commercial netherlands in that era). UUs are great for scenarios - but we don't have any yet. I remain adamant that over a 6000 yr regular game, civs should be able to change and flexibility is critical. Again, I'm glad it's an option to turn off or on according to our likes and dislikes.

Right now, I'm in the process of designing a mod that will take care of some of these issues. Doubt it'll be done anytime before the summer's over, but I must admit, modding is sometimes more fun for me than playing the game.

Theseus, I know I don't have to play a certain way - I just think non-UU games are "freer'. I know that when playing as the aztecs, I almost always use an early rush. otherwise, it's "wasting" my UU. As a roman, I beeline for iron for those legions. horses for the Iroquois, and so on. the gameplay isn't bound by UUs, but it has strong "tendencies". I know I said I've only played on UU game, but its not totally true, just only 1 full UU game. The rest I quit after the novelty of UUs wore off.
          Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
          Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
          Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
          Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

I leave them on and here's why...

It never occured to me to turn them off.

It lends to greater variety. The various starting positions of the civs and various ancient UUs lead to less predictable games.

I play Romans. Legions rule. So there.
            Actually, I use the Legion stratigically. If I am in no need of the brutes I save them and keep them out of combat. I use Horse instead. Why? So that I can have a Golden Age when ever I darn well feel like it. That's why.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

No.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Hmmm...

It occurs to me that Captain's arguments / thoughts, especially as to how UUs could be available to all civs, dependent on their path, could be very interesting in MP (rather than turning civ-specific traits off).
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by alva848

not this one again please!!!!!!!!!

i leave them on aswell, much more fun!!!!

I was trying to make joke. I've never seen tank killing spearmen. I personally think it a myth made by a few people who just hate Civ3.
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

hmm

I think it'd be interesting if you completely conquer a nation like Germany, later on during when they'd get there UU(if its before), you have a chance of developing it then. Just a thought, you could also give each civ 3 UU and then make it random which 1 hes able to make over the course of the game. This would prevent set strategys based around one UU, and make it more interesting too. Could even base it off number of citys/current military/take various factors into a fact for making why they needed and developed that unit.

And btw, i've never had a spearman kill a tank in Civ3, but one of my phalanx's on a hill and in my capitol took one out in Civ2(suprised the hell outta me cause I hadn't noticed the tank comign and thought it was gonna be wiped out). But besides for that single time, I haven't seen it anymore.
                    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Re: hmm

Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
                      I think it'd be interesting if you completely conquer a nation like Germany, later on during when they'd get there UU(if its before), you have a chance of developing it then. Just a thought, you could also give each civ 3 UU and then make it random which 1 hes able to make over the course of the game. This would prevent set strategys based around one UU, and make it more interesting too. Could even base it off number of citys/current military/take various factors into a fact for making why they needed and developed that unit.

That's a pretty cool idea, getting another civs uu if you eradicate them. that would force me to finish people off rather than just having the ai do my dirty work for me.

Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
                      And btw, i've never had a spearman kill a tank in Civ3, but one of my phalanx's on a hill and in my capitol took one out in Civ2(suprised the hell outta me cause I hadn't noticed the tank comign and thought it was gonna be wiped out). But besides for that single time, I haven't seen it anymore.
                      In Civ2? Surely something like that would never happen in Civ2, what with hp and firepower etc. Civ2 has the perfect combat system, and there is no way a 3000 year old spearman could defeat a tank. I would watch your back. Your blasphemy has been duly noted.

Comment

I turned it off and cant get it back on
                        :sad:
                        Denday

Comment

I've never turned them off.
                          I guess I'm used to them, and they add some flavour to the different civs.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

NEVER!!!

I can't imagine a game of Civ III without civ-specific attributes. If you want that kind of game, play Civ II instead.
                            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I turned them off the first three games that I played, just to get a feeling for all the other changes in the game relative to CivII.

Comment

Working...
                              X