No announcement yet.

Monarchy or Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Republic, even when war mongering. I'll go Demo when warmongering too, but expect to have to dump 20% into lux. Of course, I am paying plenty of "hidden costs" in entertainers too, but I usually don't notice or care until it gets to more than 2 in each city (or starvation, whichever comes first), at which point I up the lux slider. I don't think I've every used the lux slider in Rep, or gone above 20% in Demo, and I haven't slid into anarchy since my first game despite 20+ turn wars.

Is it just me or does war weariness eventually top out? Seems like I can stop worrying about it after about 10 turns.

Course I'm not playing on Emporer/Diety <--- *Fitz points out he's still a wuss *
    Fitz. (n.) Old English
    1. Child born out of wedlock.
    2. Bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitz
      and I haven't slid into anarchy since my first game despite 20+ turn wars.

Is it just me or does war weariness eventually top out? Seems like I can stop worrying about it after about 10 turns.

Course I'm not playing on Emporer/Diety <--- *Fitz points out he's still a wuss *
      No, it doesn't. As the war drags on, they get more and more unhappy. Under a Democracy, I've had to crank the lux meter to 60% and even then my people eventually revolted against me (so I gave them a communist regime )

Although, it might have been the draft that finally pushed them over the edge.

Comment

Monarchy or Republic?

I always chase monarchy tech and buy republic later. (I get Gardens first)

Usually in that time I'm not jet ready for Republic, so I go fro Monarchy.

But it all depends.
        Do you have 4+luxuries or not?
        If answer is no, try to stay in Monarchy. (it doesn't pay off to go in Republic with 30% luxury rate)
        If not, and you're not in some war, and you don't have HUGE military, then go to Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by dawidge

No, it doesn't. As the war drags on, they get more and more unhappy. Under a Democracy, I've had to crank the lux meter to 60% and even then my people eventually revolted against me (so I gave them a communist regime )

Although, it might have been the draft that finally pushed them over the edge.
          Don't draft, in a winning game you'll never have to.

(it's never always a winning game of course, but drafting? Why should you? Never did it, never will, playing 60th game I suppose, ...)

AJ
          " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
          - emperor level all time
          - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR
            Don't draft, in a winning game you'll never have to.

(it's never always a winning game of course, but drafting? Why should you? Never did it, never will, playing 60th game I suppose, ...)
            AJ
            There's always a first time, isn't there.

I use it extensively during peacetime to build up my defensive forces and allow the veteran infantry to prepare for battle while cranking out tanks. I draft because in the "just one more turn" game I get into a "oh, that was easy, just one more city" mood and get a little overextended. In order to keep my "allies" form getting any wise ideas, I need to keep my defenses strong. With the draft, all I have to produce is offensive units, and I can keep them on the offense.

Drafting allows me to dump enough troops into a newly captured town that I never lose one to cultural reversion. I never raze the cities I take. Consequently, I get to domination victory pretty quickly after I get tanks.

The unhappiness hit isn't too bad if you keep them on a schedule. In the thick of a drawn out war, I try not to draft more often than once every 10 turns or so. That gives them time to recover the lost population and to keep the draft unhappiness at a fixed level,
            easily offset by luxuries.

Remember, that AI doesn't pause to consider the strength of the units you have, just their number, and I've found that draftees on the defense are reasonably strong. Park them on mountaintops on the front line and they become veterans very quickly.

Comment

If your industry and cities are strong enough, you'll always build instead of draft. I never draft .

AJ
              " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
              - emperor level all time
              - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Draft is good from time to time if you want to move your veteran defense units in new conquered cities and guard your homeland with drafted units.

Of course this shouldn't be used too often.

Comment

Originally posted by player1

Of course this shouldn't be used too often.
                  Never .

That's IMHO.

Kind regards to you player1,

AJ
                  - emperor level all time
                  - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR

Never .

That's IMHO.

Kind regards to you player1,

AJ
                    Actually, if city has maxed out population or starts starving, it's realy better to sacrifice one taxmen to get one extra unit.

I usually do that in peacetime.
                    Or when having Longevity.

Comment

I never drafted.
                      Usually by the time I have nationalism my core cities are big enough to build up defensive and offensive units to supply all my Roman Empire.

Than once i build a Factory and the Hoover Dam in there I really find no need for drafting (assuming that i have already railroad connected every city, but with all my slaves and workers that is a quick job)

Saluti
                      A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority. -Samuel Johnson- (1709-84), English author
                      I love the language, that soft bastard Latin,/Which melts like kisses from a female mouth,/And sounds as if it should be writ on satin/With syllables which breathe of the sweet South.-Lord Byron- (1788-1824), English poet.
                      Lump the whole thing! Say that the Creator made Italy from designs by Michael Angelo! -Mark Twain- (1835-1910), U.S. author.

Comment

I never draft as policy, but then I don't build defensive units as policy either... sometimes not even spearmen... until my cities have nothing better to do in the late industrial age. So what happens on that rare occasion when somebody attacks and my cavalry is out of reach? I draft.

Comment

Working...
                        X