Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Unit Graphics

Hey, I was wondering...

If worker graphics can change with a given advance, is it possible to do the same with other units? Ya know, mabey change helmet styles and equipment or something for those who seriously have way too much time on their hands?
    Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
    http://john.jfreaks.com
    -The Artist Within-

Dunno. Maybe you should try the Creation forum : some creators avoid the Civ3 General.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The worker change is hard coded and there is no way yet to do the same thing with other units. An alternative would be to make whole new units that could be upgraded to (ie warrior to guerilla). Unfortunately the AI doesnt upgrade its units very well, if at all, (leading to the ever popular threads about warriors killing tanks) so it wouldnt happen anyway.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Are you sure about that SpencerH? I seem to recall a thread on one of the forums where someone said that if you created a folder called (for example) Spearman Industrial Ages and put an INI and flcs in it, the unit would change appearance. Not an upgrade per se, just a change in appearance. Have you tried this? I'll give it a shot if you haven't. I could stomach a spearman vs tank battle (no way in hell the spearman could win with my modded values) if the spearman at least looked like an armed civilian or a guerilla or an aboriginal primitive. I just can't stand modern units going up against escapees from a renaissance fair. It hurts my sensibilities.

I had been thinking about a generic "armed civilian" for middle, industrial and modern ages which could be used to change the appearance of the obsoleted units that were not upgraded.

Comment

XMON,

cool, please do tell if you get it working. Even if its just silly stuff to show you can do it (warrior visually upgrading to battleship). I'd rather find out if that can be done first before I make any/all new graphics for the units.
          Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
          -The Artist Within-

Comment

Originally posted by XMon
            Are you sure about that SpencerH? I seem to recall a thread on one of the forums where someone said that if you created a folder called (for example) Spearman Industrial Ages and put an INI and flcs in it, the unit would change appearance. Not an upgrade per se, just a change in appearance. Have you tried this? I'll give it a shot if you haven't. I could stomach a spearman vs tank battle (no way in hell the spearman could win with my modded values) if the spearman at least looked like an armed civilian or a guerilla or an aboriginal primitive. I just can't stand modern units going up against escapees from a renaissance fair. It hurts my sensibilities.

I had been thinking about a generic "armed civilian" for middle, industrial and modern ages which could be used to change the appearance of the obsoleted units that were not upgraded.
            Thanks for the tip, this is the first I've heard of it! It sounds interesting and I'll try it out asap. I think it might work if there is some general coding for the game to look for such graphics rather than it being hard coded for just the workers. It would sure solve a lot of (visual) problems. I just wonder why this isnt general knowledge (if it works)?

If it works I'll sure post it.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

It's not hard-coded and it works.
              Seemingly Benign
              Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Ah, interesting. It looks like some modder will finally be able to put an end to the Spearman vs Tank complaint.

Comment

I posted in the creation forums about this after 1.16 was released, as that's when it was put into the game code (IIRC).

You can definitely change unit graphics/animations on a per-era basis. Basically when the era changes the game checks the units folder to see if era-specific unit folders exist for all the units in the game. E.g., "Leader Middle Ages" If so, it reads in the new INI file and loads the appropriate animations.

I think it uses the era names as defined in the BIC file, so if you rename an Era, it probably needs to match the era-specific unit folder. Also, I don't know if it will load in new sound effects when the era changes or not.

I'll make a note to add this to the "notes and tips" section of the editor helpfile.

Dan
                  Dan Magaha
                  Firaxis Games, Inc.
                  --------------------------

Comment

Thanks for the input Dan. I must have missed it (and I bet others have too).

Comment

I never noticed this, and I wish I had. Replacing warriors, spearmen, archers, and the like with a more modern looking graphic will soften the mythical blow for those who reguarly lose tank armies to a single spearman. It will also make it mroe realistic. We won't have (as many) ancient units running around behind the tanks and bombers.

Steele
                      If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Wow, this ability can do much to change the game. You could give the game an even more realistic feel... sounds really good!
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

This is great news! Someone should go start a thread in the creation forum to start getting people thinking about making some graphics...in fact, I'll go ahead and get it started.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                            I posted in the creation forums about this after 1.16 was released, as that's when it was put into the game code (IIRC).

You can definitely change unit graphics/animations on a per-era basis. Basically when the era changes the game checks the units folder to see if era-specific unit folders exist for all the units in the game. E.g., "Leader Middle Ages" If so, it reads in the new INI file and loads the appropriate animations.

I think it uses the era names as defined in the BIC file, so if you rename an Era, it probably needs to match the era-specific unit folder. Also, I don't know if it will load in new sound effects when the era changes or not.

I'll make a note to add this to the "notes and tips" section of the editor helpfile.

Dan
                            There's been a question mulling around my brain for a few days now. When the unit graphics change, is that determined solely by the human player entering a new era, or does it affect each civ? What I mean is, if I enter a new era before the other civs, will their units have the graphics updated as well, along with mine, or will that occur only when they enter the era as well?

Comment

I assume that it would work just like the workers and leaders and settlers, it just dependes on what each individual civ has. So if a civ is retarded and still in the ancient era, then you'll still fight those spearmen. If they just have spearmen left over, then you can fight (once we change it) armed citizens or peasants.
                              Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
                              -The Artist Within-

Comment

Working...
                              X