v1.21 is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v1.21 is it worth it?

I have a confession to make. I haven't played Civ3 for nearly three months now. Now, I have always loved the civ series and I have spent countless days of my life playing Civ, Civ2, CTP, CTP2, & SMAC and as soon as Civ3 was availible I rushed out and bought it. I figured it was a slam dunk. I had so loved its predicesors that there was no way I could not love Civ3; I was wrong.
    Despite the bad tast in my mouth I hung in there. We must give them a chance I said. When others condemned them I stayed silent because I thought for sure with a patch or two Civ3 would become yet another classic. To date that has not happened.
    I could enumerate Civ3's short comes but I think most of us know them by now. I found myself spending more time playing the modded CTP2 then I did Civ3. The last time I tried Civ3 was when patch 1.17f came out and I found the experience totally dissatisfying. I was bored to tears and I am a Civ die-hard.
    The Civ3 team has made a good faith effort to fix their product and that is why I'm still on the Civ3 forum. Some where in the back of my mind I still feel like they may start to treat their fan's concerns with the directness that is deserved. Thus I have written this post.
    I have not yet downloaded v1.21f because I want to hear from the other people here at Apolyton first. Now, I would like to ask those of you in the know whether or not this patch fixes the worst problems of Civ3. Should I give Civ3 another chance? Does v1.21 make Civ3 as an enjoyable and consuming experience as the other parts of the series? I do so hope so but I have been burned in the past and so I am reserving my judgment.
    Thank you all for your imput,

John Jackson A.K.A. Oerdin
    Last edited by Dinner; April 21, 2002, 18:57.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Yes, it is worth it.

There are no serious bugs/annoyances left in the gameplay, not as far as I can see.

Sure, we lack multiplayer, and the editor is not good enough for most people. But what counts the most at this stage is the gameplay, and it's finally really good. After this patch it truly feels solid, like civ2 did. I suggest you give it a try.

Of course it's not that hard to think of things you'd like to have improved (like a way to keep track of your trade deals for example), but the beta feeling is finally gone, and for the first time things works like intended.
    /Cesa

Comment

What are the biggest causes of your disappointment? Some issues have been addressed, but not all.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Cesa
        Yes, it is worth it.

There are no serious bugs/annoyances left in the gameplay, not as far as I can see.

Sure, we lack multiplayer, and the editor is not good enough for most people. But what counts the most at this stage is the gameplay, and it's finally really good. After this patch it truly feels solid, like civ2 did. I suggest you give it a try.

Of course it's not that hard to think of things you'd like to have improved (like a way to keep track of your trade deals for example), but the beta feeling is finally gone, and for the first time things works like intended.
        Thank you Cesa. I value what you have to say.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

another side

Read all the post on the patch. A LARGE number of players are complaining that it is not a good patch . I believe I will stick with 1.16 for the time being,there seems to be to many bugs in 1.21. Perhaps 1.22 will be better.

Comment

1.21 is definitely far better than 1.17, and a bit better then 1.16, because of new options and large res. bug fix.

Comment

patch

READ ALL other threads and also Civ Fanatics forum there are a LOT of people who are unhappy. I have read 100's of postings and I would say 60% unhappy 40% happy to a point. Very few say it is 100% with no pronlems. Check them out.

Comment

Re: patch

Originally posted by roalan
                READ ALL other threads and also Civ Fanatics forum there are a LOT of people who are unhappy. I have read 100's of postings and I would say 60% unhappy 40% happy to a point. Very few say it is 100% with no pronlems. Check them out.
                Funny!

Now look at the polls both at civfanatics & apolyton.
                How would you rate 1.21f patch.
                Results are GREAT!

So don't worry and install the patch.

Comment

You should check the polls both here and on Civfanatics that rate the patch. Only very few give it low ratings, pretty much everyone think it's really good. This is, of course regarding gameplay, not the editor, but I figured gameplay was what Oerdin was interested in.

Even if i seldom post, I read these forums often, and I can't find the 'negative' threads you talk about roalan. What is it people don't like?
                  /Cesa

Comment

Early days, but so far I like it, and my impression from the forum is that those who basically like Civ 3 are pleased with this patch, and many of those who don't like it will never like it.

It may be a matter of taste as to whether something is good or not. You liked CTP2 - so did I, but many hated it and declared it fundamentally flawed (don't know why). I gave up because of the AI's every-turn border violations. I never could get the mod to fix that - which mod do you use?

Unlike Firaxis, who are improving / finishing their product, Activision dumped CTP after poor sales. Poor sales which were not helped, I expect, by the torrent of fury against the game here on the net. If the Internet had been there for gamers in 91, Civ 1 might even have got criticised out of existence.

So, which part of Civ 2 do you miss most - the endless caravanning, the familiarity of howitzer-blitzes, the lack of borders, the limited diplomacy, stack-death?

Civ 3 - perfect it ain't, (better trade& diplo interface w.b nice) but nor were the others, and I've come to accept that there's no such thing as perfect software. Perfection is too subjective, and development too expensive.

So I don't think there's need to worry that Fireaxis are not treating fans concerns "with directness". The worst mistake they could make would be to try and introduce everyone's demands. Design decisions should not be rushed and in today's highly complex software, it's almost impossible to have both (a) stability and (b) constant change. They're fixing bugs, improving the AI, finishing the editor, and generally getting there.

What is there to lose by downloading the patch and trying a game?

Comment

patch

I was not checking polls I was reading comments.

Comment

patch

In this forum alone check out the top line or so " Bugs and problems", under Gereral there are , at this writting, 125 mostly complaints about the patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                          So I don't think there's need to worry that Fireaxis are not treating fans concerns "with directness". The worst mistake they could make would be to try and introduce everyone's demands. . . What is there to lose by downloading the patch and trying a game?

How about a lot more of my time and life??

As for Firaxis and fans concerns, we complained for months about how slow the game is, so Firaxis' solution is to make it even slower, while taking away a popular cheat like "multi.sav", while not giving us scenario-building - that they will try to sell us soon!

Better Firaxis HAD dumped Civ 3 a few months ago - and started on Civ 4.

For five years we discussed on forums what we'd like to see in Civ 3, such as a First Strike Response option in nuclear war. We didn't get that, but we did get crazy stuff like Culture Flippinng.

Comment

patch

Don't get me wrong I like Civ3 better in most ways then Civ2. I would like to see real scenarios is C3 because C2 scenarios were stupid especially the WW2 ones. As a war gamer for 30 years and A.R.E.A. rated the scenarios in C2 were YUK. Otherwise as I said Civ.3 is better then Civ2. But I am using the 1.16patch and will not switch until the current patch is better then 1.16 and so far that is not what I have read in a large number of reports..
                            I also made a lot of changes to Marals Map and heard from some that they may be destroyed by patch 1.21f So I will stick to 1.16f until better comes out. Perhaps they should start Civ4 but not for $50

Comment

Re: patch

Originally posted by roalan
                              Don't get me wrong I like Civ3 better in most ways then Civ2. I would like to see real scenarios is C3 because C2 scenarios were stupid especially the WW2 ones. As a war gamer for 30 years and A.R.E.A. rated the scenarios in C2 were YUK. Otherwise as I said Civ.3 is better then Civ2. But I am using the 1.16patch and will not switch until the current patch is better then 1.16 and so far that is not what I have read in a large number of reports..
                              I also made a lot of changes to Marals Map and heard from some that they may be destroyed by patch 1.21f So I will stick to 1.16f until better comes out. Perhaps they should start Civ4 but not for $50
                              Why not rewrite those mods to 1.21f format?

That way you won't have problem anymore.

Anyway, many intresting things can be done with new patch.

For exaple I made one scenario which uses RANDOM MAP.

All players start with several unis, settlers and industrial tech.

It was fun.
                              It started to look like real Scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X