Sid Inyerview On Gamespot UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fezick31

That's a great idea and all, but for all the bad, there is the fact that publishers also provide legal backing. Case in point is CtP vs Civ2. IF sid had pushed Civ 2 out of his garage, he would have had a tough time of sueing Activision, as he would have had to hire his own lawyer (and a cheap one at that), and would of had to stop development in order to pursue the legal action.

For all the crap that comes with using publishers, there is the positive. It may screw the consumer over sometimes, but it is usually a much better deal for the developer.
    I agree that publishers can provide many levels of support, but I'm not sure that seeking one out because of the possibility legal action is a good enough reason to do so. There are lots of lawyers in this country who will work for their cut of the damages. It may take time, but if you've covered your bases you'll win, and in some cases win big.

Publishers can (and do) promote and support "struggling artists" of all kinds, but they can also hinder the ability of others to find a market. Lets not forget that they can take a huge cut. For example, if you compare the beatles to the rolling stones you'll find that the net worth of each of the beatles was about 10 times the net worth of Mick Jagger. Part of the reason for that difference was Abbey Road studios that the beatles started. Once they had the clout and money to do so, they got out from underneath the record producers. Today we have the internet, and if we support "guerrilla game designers" we'll be better off and so will the designers.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

SpencerH -

I completely agree with you, I am alll for freeware and open source. I'm just saying that when it comes to producing anything on a large scale, you have to concerned with legality.

...Abbey Road studios that the beatles started. Once they had the clout and money to do so, they got out from underneath the record producers...
      That's my point. The beatles needed the record company until they could pay for all the legal stuff and overhead costs themselves. Once they could, they did the smart thing and got rid of them.

I doubt you would find a lawyer (or team of lawyers, which is what it takes), that would work for a percentage of winnings. This is not normal civil court, as you usually don't sue for damages. You have to prove that the defendents violated copywrite, and then they are ordered to stop making their product or change it to comply with the order (Activision, for example, had to remove the word "civilization" from CtP II). There usually aren't any monetary penalties, and if there are, they wouldn't cover all the legal fees.

Also, if you happened to get picked on by large company, you'd be sccrewed. For example, say Infogrames likes your concept, so they steal it and publish their own version. You'd have to find one hell of a lawyer to represent you to even stand a chance of winning against the team that works for Infogrames and is funded not just by the game in question, but by sales from every game infogrames sells.

Not saying it's good, just that that's how it is and you gotta be careful. You are right in saying you gotta cover your bases. A cheap copywrite technique is take your Intellectual property, create a hard copy (assuming it's code, burn it on a CD), then mail it to yourself. When you recieve the package, it will be sealed and dated by the US post Office. This is a quick and easy way to prove that you did it first .
      "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

Thanks for the interesting comments. This is one of my favorite soapboxes since I (could) face similar problems over intellectual property rights with the universities. I tend to get carried away and forget we all have to live day to day too.

Viva la internet revolution!
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Another cheap, effective way to protect yourself is to talk about it openly and publicly on forums like this....date and time stamps are your friends....

-=Vel=-
          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

From Soren

"
            We almost wish they could come to us earlier on in the process! We've seen a number of great ideas from the fans since they actually got hold of the game and we've incorporated a lot of them into the patches that we've released.
            "

How could it have been earlier? There were ideas from fans (as there are now for CIV4) from day2 (if not day1).
            Well, we certainly looked at fan suggestions concerning Civ2, but at a certain point the two games were different enough that Civ2 suggestions were no longer applicable (such as with the culture system and trade/resource network). I hope that clarifies my point (I explained this fully in the interview, but my response was abridged in the final piece...)
            - What's that?
            - It's a cannon fuse.
            - What's it for?
            - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
              Well, we certainly looked at fan suggestions concerning Civ2, but at a certain point the two games were different enough that Civ2 suggestions were no longer applicable (such as with the culture system and trade/resource network). I hope that clarifies my point (I explained this fully in the interview, but my response was abridged in the final piece...)
              Its clear that firaxis has looked at fan suggestions and there is an example cited in the interview with respect to the great leaders. In addition, I have also seen other hints that our comments are examined for their possible inclusion in future patches. I was not looking to be inflammatory, and stated that I thought it was "interview banter" by which I meant that these were not carefully scrutinized thoughts but merely part of a conversation.

On the other hand, I think there is a strong feeling here that firaxis remains aloof from fan involvement and suggestions. It was that paradox in your statement that caught my eye. The continued participation by firaxis at these sites to discuss realistic, and perhaps more importantly, unrealistic possibilities helps to counter those feelings. There are two sides to this argument, but I believe that serious communication rather than the (relative) seclusion of one line comments in occasional threads will serve us all better.

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

Well, we certainly looked at fan suggestions concerning Civ2, but at a certain point the two games were different enough that Civ2 suggestions were no longer applicable (such as with the culture system and trade/resource network). . .

Yea, and who told you to come up with this unrealistic, nonhistorical, bizarre Culture Flipping garbage?? It is CRAP to have a city that was Roman for 5,000 years to suddenly decide to become Iroquois based on what the stupid bean-counting AI decides. Happened to me. The huge garrisons of flipped cities vanishing into thin air without even taking out a population point is a joke. Culture Flipping borders - flipping over another civ's improvements - is equally stupid.

It is NONSENSE to have a recently conquered city flip back to the enemy civ just because it is near their capital - even though it is the ONLY city left in their civ and the winning civ has two dozen cities.

Resources?? It has already been admitted that the absurdly low values for post-gunpowder units is the result of the absurdly low number of resources, especially iron and coal.

Espionage? Generally considered good only to get another civ to declare war on you.

Naval Warfare? Mindless and pathetic, and even worse than in Civ II. Privateers and submarines should be useful to atack merchant shipping on trade routes; they are not in reality built to attack warships. This is why Civ players rarely build them.

Bombers that cannot sink ANY warship??? How dare you offer us such idiocy.

No scenario-building or cheat mode? Outrageous.

Maybe Firaxis and Sid - who SOLD his name for cash to be slaped on a box in an advertising campaign - SHOULD have listened more to what Civ II players wanted. You showed contempt for all of us by not doing so, and by releasing a beta game.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

. . .I think there is a strong feeling here that firaxis remains aloof from fan involvement and suggestions.. . .
                  True.

Firaxis has PROVEN they look at us only as a source of cash by releasing an underdeveloped Civ III = which really should have been titled "Culture" as it is too different from the Civilization series to be considered part of it.

The Corruption problem is another Firaxis insult. It is obvious the massive corruption in outlying cities was a last minute designer patch to slow down Civ development. Hell, we can't even sell or move that Forbidden Palace! Even Editing such as temples and cathedrals to fight corruption is of minimal help in parts of your civ.

Comment

cool, i'm in the civ3 news! 1st time!
                    btw, you spelled my name wrong, tischo when its supposed to be tishco
                    altho i wrote "inyerview" so it balances out
                    Just my 2p.
                    Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
                    Which shows you learn something every day.
                    formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X