Is Civ III good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Civ III good?

Seeing all the "Civ 3 sucks" and "Civ 3 rules" I decided to post a poll on that.
    It's an extrordinary game.
    38.64%
    It could've been a great game, if not for the big flaws.
    36.36%
    It's an average game, not that good and not that bad.
    6.82%
    It's a DISGRACE!!!
    12.50%
    Wuzzat?
    5.68%
    I don't conquer -
    I obliterate

You spelt "rulez" wrong
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

First off you need a banana.

Civ3 keeps me happy. I go between games of course. I'm right not in my Total Annihilation mode
      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

NO! CIV3 is evil! I keep trying to play it while hoping it will be better after each mod I add.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

The voices in my head tell me it's evil.

Those guys at Firaxis have coded mind control software that makes you want to line dance and sing "Achy Breaky Heart". And then you are made to forget all about.

Those Firaxians are straight from the bowels of hell!!! The world is coming to an end!!!! Billy Ray Cyrus is sing to me again!!!! Help me PLEASE!!!!!

(BTW, I voted for #1 because that demon Dan from Firaxis has possessed me and now I have no free will.)
          Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Originally posted by ACooper
            The voices in my head tell me it's evil.

Those guys at Firaxis have coded mind control software that makes you want to line dance and sing "Achy Breaky Heart". And then you are made to forget all about.

Those Firaxians are straight from the bowels of hell!!! The world is coming to an end!!!! Billy Ray Cyrus is sing to me again!!!! Help me PLEASE!!!!!

(BTW, I voted for #1 because that demon Dan from Firaxis has possessed me and now I have no free will.)
            I thought the Firaxis people were "Ghost Riders In The Sky?"

Besides, if you consider that Firaxis went throught this: : every day, it would be hard to program too.
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

It seems to me that all the people complaining about how Civ III doesn't live up to their expectations are going though the pangs of early adoption. Yeah, the game's been out for a few months but the Civ team is still tweaking it.

If you've ever worked on even a medium sized software project (I mean something people actually use, not a school assignment) you'd know that trying to throw in every idea available is not only unworkable but irresponsible. Real development projects require that you make sure the basic functionality is bullet-proof before adding the sprinkles and icing.

I could complain, "why can't my car fly, if I was going to design a car I would make sure it had wings." That's essentially how a lot of the complaints read on this forum.

Sure there are some problems with the game right now but I feel that by the time an expansion pack is released it's going to be really solid. Sid Meier has more experience making unbelieveable, intellegent games than anyone I know of, who are we to question his team?

Comment

Originally posted by dubwai
                Sid Meier has more experience making unbelieveable, intellegent games than anyone I know of, who are we to question his team?
                Just the folks who buy the games!
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

No one forced you to buy it. You bought it, if you don't like it that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dubwai
                    No one forced you to buy it. You bought it, if you don't like it that's your problem.
                    who are we to question his team?

You asked the question, I just answered it!

It's my problem now, but if other consumers also decide it's their problem its likely to also become a problem for those you obviously idolize!

Comment

I voted its a extraordinary game.

First of all, I just got done at Microsoft uploading Critical Updates.
                      Second of all, because I have a half-arse OS - half Windows98SE and some part of Windows2000 -- because of IE5.5+ Critcal Updates.

Third, CivIII included the bink file for Windows2000, the one I have to use to even get the game to start - because of Microsoft Critical Updates.

Fourth, because CivIII even works somewhat, after Microsoft and Critical Updates.

Fifth, because the drivers for my ATI card do not work with the game, I bought a GeForce 2 MX 400 type PCI graphics card, the drivers do not corrupt my gdi32.dll and another file mspn32.dll or something like that.

Sixth, even though I have to restart my computer after playing the game every time its played - there are still less updates from Firaxis than Microsoft.

Seventh, if I ever have an OS from Microsoft that works, I might as well use Windows 95, games seem to work with that OS - Microsoft quit updating that OS.

Eighth, - because its part of the real civilization every one faces in this World.

Ninth, I'll think of something, like killing the computer players - afterall its only a game.

Tenth, because CIV III is only a game, but reflects about the real world (Gee - do some of your game work with Windows XP, whatever it is - oh, yes, do not forget the Critical Updates needed for Windows XP - you may just get an OS from Microsoft - one of these days - in the future - about as long as it takes to get through a game of CIVIII - not really - the game is still better than all of that up above.

Now excuse me, I think it must be time for another Critical Update from Microsoft - I may even get time to play CivIII someday.

Good Day to ya, all!

Comment

Did you ever think of not installing their "critical updates"

My win98se and IE6.0 with no "critical updates" work just fine. I did have a "touch" of problems with the IE5.5 critical updates that only caused me to format my hard drives and start from scratch .

Comment

Raion - but sadly true
                          Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Well, I think it's a great game. Let me tell you why.

It crashes for nothing, corrupts my saves, wait time between turns on huge maps are just unbeleivable and the AI self destructs it's self, is annoyed with you for nothing, never has money to trade with you.......But still, I keep playin cuz I like it. So you can guess that I chose option #2.
                            Even with it's flaws, civ3 is a great game.

Comment

IT'S A DISGRACE!!!

I hardly ever play it anymore.

The first 15 minutes of playing the game did NOT capture my attention.

I have never completed a single game of Civ3. I always lose interest halfway through.

Civ3 is more like a patch upgrade for Civ2 that just gives some better graphics and not that much new in the way of gameplay. It does not seem like a full upgrade to me.

Right now I'm not all that interested in playing Civ3. I'm more interested in taking a closer look at the game and finding ways that it could be improved.
                              HAVE A DAY.
                              <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
                              "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
                              For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Working...
                              X