Dissident's 95 theses why Civilization 3 is an utter success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimmytrick
    3. This lame and worthless concept of culture does far more harm than ruin the game, it threatens future games as well as it shows just how damn stupid the typical gamer in the market is in the first place....because, beleive it or not...some numskulls around here claim to like it.

Don't let the Babs hear you saying this, they'll probably immediately settle near your new placed cities, build culture improvements asap and watch your cities become theirs ...

IMO the culture aspect IS an innovation AND works quite fine.

Guess I'm a 'numskull' now!?!

AJ
    " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
    - emperor level all time
    - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

city flipping

The main problem with culture is the game uses it wrongly. Using the Roman empire as an example, the game defines culture as how far out the boudaries of the empire are. But the game doesn't use it this way.

I have had games where the cultural boudary was right next to an AI city with no culture. It sat like this for the last 100 years but never flipped.

The programmers need to rethink the way culture is used.
      1. It should help define how far you can expand.
      2. It should define how others treat you diplomatically. A highly evolved species (empire) should be looked upon one way, while another who is less advanced and culturally inferior should be treated another way.

Any thoughts
      KATN

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
        There is no strategy involved in buidling culture ... The player just gets culture from stuff he is going to build anyway. There are no paths, choosing a cultural route versus a research route versus a military path.
        While this is true, it can easily be changed using Gramphos' multi-tool and the editor. Create aditional buildings that yield only culture (e.g. theaters), attach them to appropriate techs and reduce the culture points of science and happiness buildings. Voila, cultural path added! See korn's blitz mod for details.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that if there ever will be an expansion pack to Civ3, it will include 'culture-only'-buildings.
        "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I think that a "real" culture path requires a government that enhances culture and that cannot be created with any editor we have available. "Culture" doesnt come from buildings, civs with culture build things as expressions of that culture.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

uhh....,uhh...,wait, almost thought of one.......,dang it, I just had it..........oh yeah, the intro movie was cool.

AS IS; Civ 3 has very little merit. It was released well before it's time; a definate early beta. I just hope Firaxis responds to all the user feedback instead of living off of all the 'fanboy' hype!

Comment

Working...
            X