Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissident's 95 theses why Civilization 3 is an utter success

1. borders
    2. umm you know. That thing. that thing that is cool.

Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Talk about not delivering as advertised! You must work at Infogames or something.
      Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

that cool thing is being able to change production without going into the city screen.

Comment

I can think of 50 ($) or maybe even 60 ($) big reasons times by about half a milllion as to why Civ3 is a success, or at least in the eys of Firaxis and Infogrames.

Seriously, though, there are some nice aspects of Civ3, and most of those are not gameplay sadly enough.

1) Great pathfinding.
          2) Ablity to stack units(at least now we are)
          3) Improved city screen
          4) The idea of resources (still needs to be refined, though)
          5) The idea of culture (still needs to be refined, though)
          6) Improved graphics (but Sn00py's are much better)
          7) Easier control over cities in terms of maintaining
          8) Better AI

However, with all of the graphic mods and playing with the Blitz mod I'm not even sure if what I'm playing should be classified as Civ3....maybe "The Fan's Civ3".
          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

4. Thoughtful fans making carefully considered choices will always choose a well crafted winning game.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

4 - Moaning loudly in the bathroom stall when someone is in the adjacent one
              5 - Then putting some peanut butter on a piece of toilet paper, dropping it under the divider & into their stall
              6 - Ask them to pass it back to you

Comment

Number 2 would be culture.

Good luck with the rest though!!
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I am so sick of this culture crap I could puke all over a priest. It works stupidly. Cities should not flip period that is an a bankrupt game concept.

1. There is no reliable way to define cultural effect on individual cities or individual tiles. No map, overlay or mathematical formula. Its plain guesswork (and before anyone chimes up that guesswork is realistic let me say with malice aforethought its supposed to be a STRATEGY game not a guessing game and none of it is REALISTIC!!!!!!!!!).
                  2. There is no strategy involved in buidling culture. It is plainly idiotic. The player just gets culture from stuff he is going to build anyway. There are no paths, choosing a cultural route versus a research route versus a military path. You build something to make someone happy and you get culture, you build something for research you get culture, you build something and by God by damn accident you get culture.

This is what happens when you let people try to design and implement a game who do not have a friggin clue what they are doing!

3. This lame and worthless concept of culture does far more harm than ruin the game, it threatens future games as well as it shows just how damn stupid the typical gamer in the market is in the first place....because, beleive it or not...some numskulls around here claim to like it.

Comment

culture could be fixed

In my opinion... the culture concept has potential, but the present implementation is awkward.

And city flipping, as it's presently implemented, is just plain bad.
                    ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                      I am so sick of this culture crap I could puke all over a priest. It works stupidly. Cities should not flip period that is an a bankrupt game concept.

1. There is no reliable way to define cultural effect on individual cities or individual tiles. No map, overlay or mathematical formula. Its plain guesswork (and before anyone chimes up that guesswork is realistic let me say with malice aforethought its supposed to be a STRATEGY game not a guessing game and none of it is REALISTIC!!!!!!!!!).
                      2. There is no strategy involved in buidling culture. It is plainly idiotic. The player just gets culture from stuff he is going to build anyway. There are no paths, choosing a cultural route versus a research route versus a military path. You build something to make someone happy and you get culture, you build something for research you get culture, you build something and by God by damn accident you get culture.

This is what happens when you let people try to design and implement a game who do not have a friggin clue what they are doing!

3. This lame and worthless concept of culture does far more harm than ruin the game, it threatens future games as well as it shows just how damn stupid the typical gamer in the market is in the first place....because, beleive it or not...some numskulls around here claim to like it.

So what are you trying to say?

You don't like culture?

How about this as your culture expands, instead of cities culture-flipping it makes it easier for you to change that city's allegianceby the use of espionage?

Make it so that the PLAYER has to go to the effort to get that city to flip. Espionage would have to be changed somewhat but I think it would make it a little more STRATEGIC if not realistic.
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: Dissident's 95 theses why Civilization 3 is an utter success

Originally posted by Dissident
                        1. borders
                        2. umm you know. That thing. that thing that is cool.

Yea, I'm hard-pressed to think of many either!

But I will add that ending Civ II's "kill one unit and the entire stack is destroyed" is an improvement. The problem with Civ III is that "armies" are messed up, there are no true military leaders affecting combat, and units still fight individulally - not as stacks as they should.

So now we have TWO good things about Civ III.

Comment

I may be the only one, but I the culture model. It may be a little quirky, but it works for me just as often as it works against me.
                          "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                          —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Most other games are much much worse. That is what makes Civ3 good. I would play it even with a definite crash in the Modern Age.

Comment

Oh I forgot unit support.

I love unit support in civ3.

I couldn't stand civ2 when I had caravels. But because they had an attack of 1 they caused unhappiness when it was outside a city. A real pain in the ass if you have a small or medium sized city. And even large cities couldn't support more than 2 naval units easily. This made exploration with caravels very difficult. I went for magnetim just so I could get galleons with an attack of 0.

Comment

Working...
                              X