Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zylka’s 95 theses on why Civilization 3 is an utter disappointment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has PC Gamer subsequently published a REAL review??
    Yes they have. They gave Civ III a good review after all.

We sure expected more after all those years.
    Where do you get that 'We' stuff redface?

My comments were about Ascendency. Could this explain your problem with Civ III? In Civ III the AI never accuses you of breaking nonexistant agreements. Perhaps you are playing Ascendency and haven't noticed.

You know if you learned how to play the game you might like it more.

Comment

• I don't know about tarq (no more messages will be forwarded, sorry), but my question is not why he was banned but Z wasn't. I completely understand and agree with him being banned, but why not Z too??

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming
        So... keep this thead on the subject matter. It's not the community forum... it's a thread about the perceived problems of Civ III in one persons opinion. If you can't do that, don't bother to post to this thread.
        And Civman2000, what part of this don't you understand! You are making the SAME mistake your buddy did. Are you also asking to be restricted?
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• oh I should apoligize for my comments that got me banned.

And thanks to Ming the merciful for giving me a pardon

Comment

• oh I should apoligize for my comments that got me banned.

Tick Tock tick tock

Perhaps you should.

Tick Tock Tick Tock.

Comment

• My two cents:

This whole thread is ridiculous.

Comment

• Hope I haven't stirred courtly affairs at the Louvre too much

DANCE

Comment

• AI tech trading has been rearing its ugly head again. I don't mind a challenge, but when the ai just starts cheating, it really p_sses me off.
                  "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

• Originally posted by bigvic
                    AI tech trading has been rearing its ugly head again. I don't mind a challenge, but when the ai just starts cheating, it really p_sses me off.
                    Then you must be CONSTANTLY PO'd as the AI never stops cheating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coracle

Then you must be CONSTANTLY PO'd as the AI never stops cheating.
                      The AI never STARTS cheating. How can it cheat? Does it ever do something it was not programmed to do? Are you referring to the bonuses given to it on the higher difficulty levels? What? The fact that it is trade happy does not indicate that it is cheating. You shouldn't rationalize your losses or poor play by using the excuse that the computer is cheating.

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel

The AI never STARTS cheating. How can it cheat? Does it ever do something it was not programmed to do? Are you referring to the bonuses given to it on the higher difficulty levels? What? The fact that it is trade happy does not indicate that it is cheating. You shouldn't rationalize your losses or poor play by using the excuse that the computer is cheating.
                        Yes and no. The tech trading bs is overcomeable, with lots of money (buying tech) &/or brutality. But then, whats the point if you want to be Doug Nye the science guy? Sure, its a challenge. What sucks is when some AI darling (usually Egypt) thats not even scientific, somehow manages to get all tech, support a huge military and never piss anyone off. Yeah, I know, its a challenge. But the AI does cheat. Take for instance the espionage thing. Several times (ok, maybe only 3-4) I've done a complete espionage sweep of an AI's cities (I mean COMPLETE), found little or nothing, attacked, and all of a sudden, gigantic AI hoard of the latest, biggest, baddest offensive unit it has, POOF! out of thin air. Sure, yeah, they could have been hiding them in that remote corner of thier empire or something, but...not every time. This kind of cheat just takes something out of the game, like the utility of an entire facet, in this case, espionage.
                        OK, different gripe. At the same time this is going on, the AI hasa very one dimensional and therefore predictable, and therefore irritating, method of waging war. Build hordes of primo offensive units and send them in human waves. No combined arms, no real subtlety, although I have been impressed with the way it seems to understand fog of war, baiting one with a seemingly lone unit then pouncing on the attacker. Given a wide front, the AI seems to understand the value of flanking as well, and when it outnumbers you, is a dangerous foe. But does it ever use bombardment units for anything other than city defence? Except for naval units, I've yet to see it. In a way, its fine, since we organic life forms need every advantage we can get at high difficulty levels, and I've personally destroyed gigantic hordes of AI primo offensive units with a smaller, well balanced force. Again a shame there is no multiplayer option. It would be cool to see how human intelligence could spice things up in this arena.
                        BTW, and no gripe, just an observation, but I think that playing on the larger maps in effect ups the difficulty level. If you play huge 16 civ games, you really have to consider it a couple of notches higher in difficulty, as well as patience testing.

PS Also, BTW, Zylka, how many times have you been booted? I've noticed a strong soap operish flavor to this thread and, sitting around w/ some friends, throwing down a few coldies despite my viral gutfunk, almost decided to try and get booted by saying something off color, off topic, or just flaming a bit. Didn't feel like flaming you, since I agree w/ most of what you say, on topic, don't much care about the off topic flame wars (though they do get entertaining in a strangely voyeuristic way). Even better is when Ming pops up from time to time, booting or threatening to boot. Ming, can you boot me for a few days? I think it would be kind of cool, you know, like in school when you acted out that one time to get written up so no one would think you were a goody goody two shoes nerd? You'e a real cool moderater.
                        "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

you want to be Doug Nye the science guy?
                          Its bill nye, the science guy, and yes I do want to be him

I'm not sure if the AI can auto build units, I think there maybe a shield discount for it? But, perhaps the AI whipped up an army in communism? hmm

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Its bill nye, the science guy, and yes I do want to be him

I'm not sure if the AI can auto build units, I think there maybe a shield discount for it? But, perhaps the AI whipped up an army in communism? hmm
                            OOPS! Perhaps a coldie too far.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

• And sometimes i do want to be Bill Nye the science guy, its just kind of rough at higher levels under the circumstances.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

And sometimes i do want to be Bill Nye the science guy, its just kind of rough at higher levels under the circumstances.

true.

Comment

Working...
                                X