More Ideas for CIV4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Ideas for CIV4

Obviously Civ4 should include even more civilizations, units, and leaders, among other things. But one thing that would be interesting even though it's a little bit of a departure from the traditional game's formula is a country having rulers that change from time to time. For instance, England could start off with King Henry, then when the citizens revolt he's replaced with, let's say, Queen Elizabeth. Then she reigns for however many years and is replaced by Winston Churchill, and so on. The key to this concept is that not only civs should have their own personalities, but leaders as well. For instance, Catherine The Great might be a pacifist and not want to start wars during her reign but choose to trade alot instead, whereas when Stalin takes over he'll be a warmonger. The fun will be in dealing with other leaders as well as other civs. If you're civ is bordering Stalin's and you don't like having to worry about him attacking you any moment, you can destabilize his government by using trade embargos and keeping luxuries from his people, among other things, and having his people revolt and depose him. This would add a whole other aspect to the game and really add to the depth. In addition to all this, the leaders should be given certain attributes that affect how other civ leaders view him as well as how likely people are to elect him. For instance, if a civ has been in a war for the past 15 turns and is revolting, they'll be more likely to choose a pacifist to take over. If they're economy is stagnant, they'll choose a leader that emphasizes trade.

These are some concepts which I think would really add to the gameplay more than just adding an extra UU or whatever. The only problem is "where do you get all the leaders?" Well there should be a maximum amount of time a leader can be around, say 100 turns or whatever. Next, they can either look through the history books and find 10 or so leaders for every civ, or they can take the more reasonable approach and make up leaders. Why not play with Rome as Maximus or Germanicus instead of Julius Caesar? It's not much of a difference if at all. Some might argue that the realism isnt there then, but it's not realistic playing on a map that doesn't even resemble anything on earth, or having a leader that's around for 5000 years.

This concept will obviously force a few minor changes in the game design but it will add alot of depth that will make the game, in my opinion, alot more fun.

Four things spring to mind:

- Wonder movies and advisor movies.
    It's an aspect I really miss.
    - A way for the entire civlization to combine their effort in building a wonder. Used to be caravans (but they weren't that popular apparently). Perhaps an option in the city screen where you could redirect (some) shields to the project.
    - Food redirect. A big city can redirect food to a new city (same way as with shields above?) so it can grow faster. And by redirecting the one remaining food to another city with one remaining food you can stop the Supermodel effect (growth-starvation-growth-starvation etc.).
    - keep corruption sane.

Robert
    A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

Let's get Civ3 right first !!!

Then I could easily wait a couple of years for a major improved and innovative civ 4...

AJ
      " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
      - emperor level all time
      - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR
        Let's get Civ3 right first !!!

Then I could easily wait a couple of years for a major improved and innovative civ 4...

AJ
        True. But I don't know what Firaxis is going to do and I don't want to miss the window of opportunity to say what I would like to see in Civ 4.
        Secondly, some of the stuff mentioned can't/won't be done in a patch so doesn't fit in a 'fix this in civ3' type of thread.

Robert
        A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

I like your idea, Infamous.
          I had an Idea than under a Democracy/Republic, you may lose elections when the citizens are not happy enough when election times comes. Maybe you could be replaced by another leader of your civ...
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

THE INFAMOUS X-- I agree 100%. Added to this, I would think that perhaps a diplomatic possibility might be assassination. Stalin getting to you? well, hire someone to wack him. It might tip the country into a war against you, but then, the people might be rather happy to have him gone...

Spiffor-- Also agree. I am thinking that There may be 2 kinds of happyness, one refecting contentment with socitey, and one that refects happyness with the leader. Thus, even if everyone is happy as clams, (how happy are clams, anyway? and how do we know?), the leader may have been caught in some huge scandle involving selling arms to forign nations, and thus violating congress. Wait, never mind, that could never happen...
            Do the Job

Remember the World Trade Center

Comment

Assuming for the moment that Civ4 will be a bit more complex than Civ3, I'll stick to just there improvements (although there is room for many more):

1) More governments. In the Cradle Mod for CTP2, there are now 18 different governments;

2) Wonder movies; and

3) When you build a Wonder, make it actually appear on the territory of the Civ which built it, rather than just having the name of the Wonder appear on an impersonal inventory list. Imagine seeing the Great Pyramids, the Great Library, the Colossus of Rhodes, etc adorning the landscape of the world. . .

For information/input about Wonders, see the discussion below:

Last edited by Leonidas; March 20, 2002, 21:19.

Comment

Leonidas,

I like that idea. Also on the idea of governments have more areas that can separate them, kind of like CTP did.
                Yours in gaming,
                ~Luc

Comment

Here's a radical idea: change the hard-coded city radius model to something more fluid. I'm sick of having to space my cities "just so" to get highly productive cities without vast wildernesses in the middle of my nation for all time. If nothing else, give the cities an "economic radius" like the cultural radius. Preferably, so much would change about squares, population, and production that I wouldn't be able to briefly describe it here.
                  "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

I don't want to think about Civ 4 yet. I want to get the expansion and all the patches that come for Civ 3. And I don't want Civ 4 earlier than in a couple of years. This is becasue Civ 4 must again have lots of new concepts, and be a sequel, not an expansion.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well, I'm thinking Civ4 will be like Civ3 with better graphics, but not much upgrade to the game itself.

Firaxis took the "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" approach to Civ3. Basically they are keeping the game the same award winning engine it always has been.

The problem is, it might not be broke, but it sure as hell is old.

The combat system is too simple. Civers have been arguing about it since the first Civ hit the shelves. A new, more versitle system is needed.

Time passes in game much too quickly. Wars last for eons. Perhaps time should slow to months in times of war, or maybe be selectable by the human player.

Unit movement is hosed. It shouldn't take a century to circumnavigate the globe. Units movements maybe should scale to the time period.

I would like to see a radical departure from the way the game currently is. Don't get me wron, I love Civilization. I would just rather play it as more of a historical accurate game.

Comment

There will not be a Civ 4.
                        I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me.--Patton

Comment

Originally posted by The Rook
                          Well, I'm thinking Civ4 will be like Civ3 with better graphics, but not much upgrade to the game itself.

Firaxis took the "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" approach to Civ3. Basically they are keeping the game the same award winning engine it always has been.

The problem is, it might not be broke, but it sure as hell is old.

The combat system is too simple. Civers have been arguing about it since the first Civ hit the shelves. A new, more versitle system is needed.

I would like to see a radical departure from the way the game currently is. Don't get me wron, I love Civilization. I would just rather play it as more of a historical accurate game.
                          I have had litteraly _hours_, possibly _days_ of fun with Civ3, I think it might be responsible for knocking my GPA down a tenth or two of a point. I will continue to play Civ3 for many more hours, and hopefully can keep the GPA cost to a minimum. If there is a Civ4 that is as nicer than Civ3 as Civ3 has been over Civ4, I will buy that one too...

Having said that, I would _love_ to see a radical departure in Civ4. I want to see a complex game that allows me to really play against various personalities. I want to see leaders change in the middle of the game. I want to see dipolmacy expanded. I want to be able to assassinate leaders. I want to be able to put cities into provinces and allow them to rebel and break off into different civs. (Just immagine being the english and learning that the Amercians have rebelled!, or being America and learning that Texas and Ectopia have rebelled at the same time) I want to be able to buid multipal factories, and pump out more than one unit at once. I want culture to be able to stagnate...

But those are just my thoughts. Even if none of that is in Civ4, as long as it is at least as good as Civ3, I'll buy it...
                          Do the Job

Remember the World Trade Center

Comment

i would like to have tons of more civs.
                            Maybe 32 instead of 16.
                            I AM GOD

Comment

A very good list for Civ IV Ideas
                              :

-->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X