The Germans take Stalingrad, the city defects back to the Soviets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Germans take Stalingrad, the city defects back to the Soviets

I keep thinking of this example whenever I think of city flipping. It just doesn't make any sense.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

The German culture were at least in par with the Soviets, and Berlin isn't that much father away from Stalingrad. In that case, Stalingrad had very slim chance of flipping back to the Soviets.
    ==========================
    www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

E ****in relevent

The "Kill 60 units to take this heavily armed city only to have a bunch of starving, rag-tag civilians destroy the city and declare it independent cause of culture difference" is fvckin stupid.

Comment

Moscow is about 400 miles from (then) Stalingrad and Berlin about 800 miles.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Stalingrad din't defect, revolt or anything else like that. It was a battle-field between the Soviets and the Germans, and the Soviets won. This would be represented in the game by the city being a frequently captured and recaptured by one side or the other, until it was hardly worth fighting over.

Comment

One might wonder how many Vietnamese cities stayed RVN (or American?) and for how long. Of course there were often firefights (such as in Hue IIRC) as they flipped back (or attempted to).

And if I recall correctly, there was a great deal of cultural flipping during the Napoleonic wars. I think that many 'citizens' had white cockades for their hats (supporting the monarchy) that broke out fairly quickly when Napoleon's army started to lose battles. I wish I could remember the names of cities but I'm sure there were some that revolted in favour of the monarchy even before then.

And there would be a number of cities whose religion reasserted them as a different culture after any number of captures and oppressions. Rochelle comes to mind.

But then I could always be wrong in my interpretation of history.
            Many are cold, but few are frozen.No more durrian, please. On On!

Comment

Stop defending this piece of **** with historical analogys

It just doesnt happen like that. You dont move into a city EVERYTIME, just to have it ****in revolt. This Bull----......It needs to be fixed NOW!

Comment

faded glory

i honestly a cultural flip has only happened to me once, though i usually raise the city with the highest culture unless it has REALLY good wonders in it

Comment

Faded Glory:

you may not be aware that there are numerous threads dealing with how to prevent cultural flipping. And with the most recent patch, it is possible to remove the possibility of reversion entirely

Don't refer to a game as a piece of **** when you don't understand how the mechanics of the game work, or if you do understand the game, but refuse to adapt, don't blame the game.

With regards to this being an unlikely event in reality, while that may be true, what in the game IS based in reality? eh? the names of the units I suppose. Maybe some other things, but not much. Does any Civ-type game simulate reality? Any game at all?

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Don't refer to a game as a piece of **** when you don't understand how the mechanics of the game work, or if you do understand the game, but refuse to adapt, don't blame the game.

Ohhh.......Im sorry Moron Of course dont blame the ****in game!?

Its not the devolopers fault it is a flawed pile of ****! Its yours for reading into the phoney hype!

Well...you can go to hell.

Its obvouisly the fault of the devolopers. Oh I refuse to adapt? Thats a load of bull kiddo The fact is the whole war thing is a fuxin mess. Almost all the cities you capture are raised. And the ones that arent defect. This **** doesnt happen...it shouldnt have been like this!
                    -------------------------------------------------------

Ming I'll chill out. Sorry for the flames. I just had to say that!

Comment

IMHO, and speaking with a voice dipped in civility, I can say that the whole culture concept is plumb awful. I am not going to blame Firaxis for it anymore cause I understand that the fans here asked for it.

I have been blaming the wrong idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                        IMHO, and speaking with a voice dipped in civility, I can say that the whole culture concept is plumb awful. I am not going to blame Firaxis for it anymore cause I understand that the fans here asked for it.

I have been blaming the wrong idiots.

I agree totally. They totally botched culture.aswell as a host of options. I understand the fans wanted it. But they shoulnt have made it such a factor.

Comment

Have you played SMAC. I just played a bit and everytime I switch from Civ3 to SMAC I am truely stunned.

SMAC makes Civ3 look like a student project. I'll admit there are flaws with SMAC and the AI sucks, but it is still a world class game.

One example.

"don't leave..the drones need you.. they look up to you.."

Classic line from a classic game, delivered delightfully. If haven't played the game by all means get it at any cost and treat yourself.

If there were some way to just eliminate culture and then start adding tons of stuff to Civ3 if could be a good game.

Culture as a major gameplay component still has me shaking my head.

Comment

I think culture should alter boundaries yes. But not take cities.....with garrisons in them. And especcially if you capture one. And leave garrison inside. Why the hell would it change its culture?

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by faded glory

>>Ohhh.......Im sorry Moron Of course dont blame the ****in game!?

Hey there, no need to devolve into name calling, eh?

>>Its not the devolopers fault it is a flawed pile of ****! Its yours for reading into the phoney hype!

It's my fault that you think the game is a flawed pile of ****? What are you talking about? It was a concious design decision by the programmers. There are several ways to avoid the flips, and if you can't deal with it and destroys the game for you, then play a different game.

>>Well...you can go to hell.

I'll get right on that

Comment

Working...
                              X