No announcement yet.

Expansion Pack For Civilization III?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't mind if the game is extended into the future age.
    ==========================
    www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Ok, ok. I see a lot of you are objecting to the idea of expanding Civilization III back to the age of the Neantherdals. Fine with me. After doing a little research myself I found that Neantherdals were really far beyond the scope of what we know of as Civilization, anyway.

I also understand that some of you seem to think that no historical and cultural changes whatsoever should be made to the game, that history and culture are already well represented in Civilization III. But the whole point of this thread is to make the game seem more real in the player's mindset, so that it further draws the player into the game, making it more fun and addictive.

For example, to make religion in the game seem more real to the player it needs to have a more noticeable impact on the game. This is exactly the reason why I suggested that wars could be started over religion in Civ3. When you have two ancient empires in the game whose borders are right next to each other and they both have two different religions, the populations of both nations can have a religious influence on each other, causing each others' cities fall into corruption and consequently causing them to go to war over religious intolerance. I think this sets a perfectly good example of what I mean by making the game seem more real to the player.

Ok, here's another great idea I just came up with over the last few days!:

As I understand it, many people might not want to play Civ3 simply because the game's concept and rules might go against one's religious beliefs. Wouldn't it be great if players' could play the game from different religious points of view?

For example, if you wanted the play the game from a Christian/Judeo worldview the game's rules would be altered to begin and end in a year that fits with this viewpoint; the way that the game would end in this viewpoint is by the method laid out in the Book of Revelations. The tech tree would be rearranged to fit history as Christians and Jews know it, as well as the units used in the game and the wonders and city improvements available in the game. There would need to be other minor tweaks that would make the game seem just right to Christian and Jewish players.

You could also play the game from an Evolutionary point-of-view. In this case, the game could begin around 8,000 B.C., when human beings first began to domesticate and Civilization was born (at least, from an Evolutionary point-of-view it did). The game would end the same way it does in a normal game of Civ3, but other rules would need to be tweaked to fit the time-frame for this viewpoint.

You could also play from an Atheist point-of-view. Since atheist's don't have a specific belief system (their beliefs vary from atheist to atheist) this viewpoint allows you to set up the game and tweak the rules however you want them. It is the least restrictive viewpoint to play with.

Playing from other points-of-view such as Islamic, Buddist, and Hindu points-of-view could also be available.

And of course we wouldn't want to go without the standard Civ3 rules that allows us the play game as is with no edited rules.

That's my two cents.
      HAVE A DAY.
      <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
      "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
      For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

This is a VIDEO GAME, not something you will do while you are in church. I'm fairly religious myself, but I suggest you study Book of Revelations by yourself, and not pollute this wonderful game with religious tastes.
        www.forgiftable.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dida
          This is a VIDEO GAME, not something you will do while you are in church. I'm fairly religious myself, but I suggest you study Book of Revelations by yourself, and not pollute this wonderful game with religious tastes.
          Oh, come on Dida. Don't think about only yourself. Think about others that would want the choice of playing the game from their religious point-of-view. Besides, if you don't want to play it from a certain point-of-view you could always play it with the standard rules just like I said. Let others have the option of playing the game with edited rules if they just so want to!
          HAVE A DAY.
          "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
          For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

If what I said have been somewhat insulting to you, I would first apologize for that.
            Anyway, I think there are more important things to do with the game other than adding Christianity or Buddhism to this game. Let it be a game that is fun to play, and not a simulation of religious development.
            www.forgiftable.com/

Comment

No, it doesn't have to be a game of religious development, but it can include religious history.
              HAVE A DAY.

Comment

religion is kind of included with the idea of culture. anymore will make this game look disgusting to a lot of people.
                www.forgiftable.com/

Comment

Disgusting? I doubt it. This takes us back to the philosophy of making things seem real in the player's mind. Take this example:

When a writer writes a novel, in order for the book to be interesting to the reader, he/she has to make the story seem real in the readers mind, especially the characters in the story. If characters are not made to be realistic in the story--if they don't talk real, walk real, eat real, dance real, love real, have sex for real (lots of sex for real), and the story's plot, setting and characters don't come together realistically then. . . Basically, if the reader doesn't feel that what happens in the story could really happen, even if it couldn't happen in real life (take science fiction, for example), then the book just plain sucks and the reader closes it after reading the first page.

The same concept applies to video games. Make what happens in the game seem MORE REALISTIC, not in the sense of virtual reality real, but real in the player's mind.

Enough said for one night.
                  Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; March 6, 2002, 00:57.
                  HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud9
                    Disgusting? I doubt it. This takes us back to the philosophy of making things seem real in the player's mind. Take this example:

When a writer writes a novel, in order for the book to be interesting to the reader, he/she has to make the story seem real in the readers mind, especially the characters in the story. If characters are not made to be realistic in the story--if they don't talk real, walk real, eat real, dance real, love real, have sex for real (lots of sex for real), and the story's plot, setting and characters don't come together realistically then. . . Basically, if the reader doesn't feel that what happens in the story could really happen, even if it couldn't happen in real life (take science fiction, for example), then the book just plain sucks and the reader closes it after reading the first page.

The same concept applies to video games. Make what happens in the game seem MORE REALISTIC, not in the sense of virtual reality real, but real in the player's mind.

Enough said for one night.

That's interesting. Never thought of this in game terms.

With Civ 2 I knew it was a game - but it SEEMED realistic, and like a true simulation.

But I have NEVER gotten that feeling with Civ 3. That's why this game is a flop.

Comment

WTF?

As I understand it, many people might not want to play Civ3 simply because the game's concept and rules might go against one's religious beliefs. Wouldn't it be great if players' could play the game from different religious points of view?

For example, if you wanted the play the game from a Christian/Judeo worldview the game's rules would be altered to begin and end in a year that fits with this viewpoint; the way that the game would end in this viewpoint is by the method laid out in the Book of Revelations.

Playing from other points-of-view such as Islamic, Buddist, and Hindu points-of-view could also be available.

And of course we wouldn't want to go without the standard Civ3 rules that allows us the play game as is with no edited rules.
                      Dude, you aren't talking about an expansion pack, you're talking about a whole new game. If kicking arse is against your "worldview" Civ is going to be a troubling game for you.

Comment

For example, if you wanted the play the game from a Christian/Judeo worldview the game's rules would be altered to begin and end in a year that fits with this viewpoint; the way that the game would end in this viewpoint is by the method laid out in the Book of Revelations. The tech tree would be rearranged to fit history as Christians and Jews know it, as well as the units used in the game and the wonders and city improvements available in the game. There would need to be other minor tweaks that would make the game seem just right to Christian and Jewish players.
                        huh??? So what you are saying is that christians believe in a different history than the rest of the world? So when do christian's believe that tanks, gunpowder, farming, etc came into existence? Why would the tech tree need to change?

Making less and less sense the more you try to explain it.

Comment

Cloud9, you should know this culture drives religion not the other way around. Therefore civ3 does accurately project religion because its culture. What you are asking for would not only require a lot of work but would be dismissed by the great majority of the fans. This IS not a game of history itself. We are not replaying histroy, we are recreating it. To be stuck within some religiously defined bounds would be dejectable. Its more fun to create the exact specifics of your culture than to have the game do it for you. I like to make up what my people like to do, not have the game do that for me. When it represents culture as a numerical value the player takes that and turns it into something meaningful like making a religion for his peoples and what the like to do and how they feel towards so and so.

Culture drives religion, Religion does not drive culture.
                          Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Working...
                          X