What happened to the MiG?? Idea for more unique units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Easy Rhino
    Well, one approach to "extinct" civs would be to give their second UU also in the ancient-medieval period.

For instance, the Greeks could have both hoplites and 'greek fire' artillery unit.

Iroqouis could get both mounted warriors and a settler unit with an additional movement point (you know, that whole crossing the land bridge thing).

Other civs, like the Americans, Germans, and Russians, would be 'stacked' towards later aras.

ER
    Hmmm. Wouldn't this give an even greater advantage to the civs with early UU's? In most cases, I'd much rather have five mounted warriors and this potential settler unit in 3000B.C. than an equal number of Panzers and a hypothetical new German UU in 1910.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    -- C.S. Lewis

Comment

Re: What happened to the MiG?? Idea for more unique units

Originally posted by SK138
      Remember when the first screens of Civ3 came out and there was a picture of a MiG jet fighter? I was wondering what happened to that. I want to find two unique units for just about every civ and I think the MiG would be a good Russian one.
      Here is what I thought of so far, if you have any ideas on where I can get any of these units, please help me.
      The Mig is in the game. It is called Jet Fighter for non-American Civs.

Americans - I wasn't really sure, but I was thinking Minutemen or
      Sherman tank. I would increase the power of the German panzar and lower the speed, for the Sherman, I would increase the speed and maybe lower the cost.
      The Sherman is in the game also. It is the first tank that can be built all Civs except Germany.

Russians - MiG 29 or whatever their more modern one is.
      See above for ans.

Japanese - Zero WW2 fighter, I think this would be a great unit for them.
      Not in the current game, however the first Bomber look like a Japanese Betty

England - Longbowman or something similar to that.
      In the current game, however every Civs can build them.

Chinese- Chu Ko No archer, like in AOE2. Can't think of anything else

If you have any ideas on how I can get some of these units, or help think of others, please tell me.

Comment

I thought about this, but I don't think it's a good idea.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Come on...a zero is definitly not the first thing that comes to my mind about a japanese UU...thinking of Japan means thinking of samurai-geisha-tea-ceremony-stuff...or not?...ok maybe Godzilla(Gojira) would also be a cool UU
          ...but a Zero...pffh...You all are just too obsessed with WWII-Units...

Comment

Originally posted by Dida
            The expansion pack should include small wonder such as a 'unit workshop'. After you build it, you can design your own super units. (They will be expansive, so you cannot mass produce them). So, a Japanese can build their own Yamato, and American their F-22.
            I thought that building the Yamato involved some beautiful woman from Iskandaria crashing on Mars.

(Hmm... alien invasions.)
            |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
            | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

About Napoleonic soldiers as the French UU, they are not the musketeers : the napoleonic warfare (early 19th) resembled much more tha American civil war's one than the 16th century' warfare. Napoleonic soldiers were hired through conscription and had rifles far more advances than in the 16th century (go play Cossacks if you want to feel the differences), thus they should replace the standard rifleman.
              But to avoid having 2 similar UUs following each other (Musketeer - Napoleonic), the older one should be a knight-like heavy cavalry : the Franks took the idea from the Arabs in 8th century, and heavy cavaliers became professional soldiers who should't work for a living. It was the origin of French feudalism, and heavy cavalry were the be all - end all of the French strategy until the hundred years war, and the defeat of Azincourt. I don't know if this is specific to France though (ie Teutonic knights in Germany).
              But all in all, Musketeers are quite lame : they were the king's elite guard, not a standard troop on the battlefield. Guess Firaxis thought the French golden age was during Louis XIV, and wanted to have a unit of this period, which is known to the general public.

About the German UU, it doesn't need to be modern. Sure, modern Germany is born 130 years ago, but the Germanic culture is much older : the Romans had to struggle against germanic tribes ca. 50 BC before invading Gaul, these Germanic tribes caused the fall of the Roman empire, were loosely united in the Holy Roman-Germanic Empire, and German nations had a prior role in European commerce during the middle ages. The Germanic culture is even older than the French one, and plenty of ancient / medieval UUs could be found, but we would need some documentation.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

To Spiffor

Actually' you' re quite right. I think you like(d) history ...

To complete: the Franks (leader Clovis) were one of many different German tribes harassing the Romans more than once, while longtime not being able to threaten the Roman Empire. While Romans considered the Parthean as their worst enemies, something unexpectedly changed history: the rise of the horrifying Huns. Their ambitions and successes (which also led them to Europe) scared the Germans that hard, that they chose running from their homelands to the greener and more appealing grounds in the Roman Empire. The Germans preferred overrunning the Romans than fighting the Huns: as a result the Western Roman Empire fell at 476 AD. One German tribe - the Franks - managed to settle Gaul, effectively ruling the territory we now call France. Their most famous leader was Clovis, the first of the German leaders to get christianized (his wife was christian). As a result he had more support of local inhabitants, who were allready christianized, making it easier to capture and hold the land.

The rise of the Huns is also known as the period of the 'Tribe/ People Migrations'.

AJ
                " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                - emperor level all time
                - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Originally posted by The JIG is up
                  Come on...a zero is definitly not the first thing that comes to my mind about a japanese UU...thinking of Japan means thinking of samurai-geisha-tea-ceremony-stuff...or not?...ok maybe Godzilla(Gojira) would also be a cool UU
                  ...but a Zero...pffh...You all are just too obsessed with WWII-Units...
                  The geisha idea is pretty good but I don't know exactly how it could be used in civ3. The samurai is already in the game, so the next thing that came to mind for me was the Zero fighter, which I still think is the best choice.

Comment

hehe the geisha could seduce enemy UUs and convert them or steal secrets (like old diplomats)...probably for a lower price compared to the embassy price list.

Comment

Originally posted by The JIG is up
                      hehe the geisha could seduce enemy UUs and convert them or steal secrets (like old diplomats)...probably for a lower price compared to the embassy price list.
                      Young male fantasies always working full steam, I see

Well, just for record I remember a relevant thread some months ago, started when Firaxis announced the UU concept. Sorry if I don't provide the link (too in a hurry to make a decent search) but I'm sure you can find it with easy. It contains lot of interesting units name, and I suppose you agree is better to start from a good base and improve...
                      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Tell me a better solution for the geisha UU...
                        btw I just mentioned Geishas because they are typical for a japanese scenario...not because I want them as UU.

Comment

Working...
                        X