Have you or will you ever play CtP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo,

Thanks for that breakdown on Cradle. I posted a thread on the Ctp2 forum yesterday to get precisely the same info that you just posted. Thanks!
    ...gonna shoot me some lobster-backs

Comment

• Very interesting code, IW, exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. Could you repost that in the CtP2 forums? Once this thread drops off page 1 here it will be impossible to find back again. Also, there are plenty of potential CtP2 users of that code who won't ever read this thread.

Leonidas,
      You're spam post is very... spammy

Minuteman,
      As far as customizability goes, Civ3 will probably always be inferior to CtP2. Customizability is something that requires radical changes to the basic engine and puts high demands on every aspect of the game. To give Civ3 the modding power of CtP2 basically means completely rewriting the engine of Civ3, something which obviously is not gonna happen until Civ4 comes around, perhaps even later. The only alternative is that Firaxis already has a very mod-frienly code structure in their engine but just hasn't made any of this visible yet; this seems very unlikely to me though, especially if you see how incredibly limited the editor is. As an outsider, it does seem to me that Firaxis only wants to give players just enough customizability to allow for simply scenarios to be created (eventually), just enough to keep a large audience interested in the game and willing to buy their various expansion packs and stuff.
      I'm convinced that when it comes to modding, it is best to simply give up on Civ3 and move on to CtP2 (although modding CtP2 is far from perfect either), where one can truly create almost anything one wants (IW's tileimp rush code proofs this excellently).
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• Originally posted by Minuteman
        Leo,

Thanks for that breakdown on Cradle. I posted a thread on the Ctp2 forum yesterday to get precisely the same info that you just posted. Thanks!

At your service

I know it can be a pain sometimes to find info. Glad it helped.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
          Leonidas,
          You're spam post is very... spammy
          Locutus:

One of my favourite dishes is:

Spam a L'orange

You take one box of Macaroni and Cheese (generic kind will do), add one can of SPAM (the unadvertised brand), mix in one BIG cup of Tang flavour crystals, then garnish with a sprig of parsley. Cooking is optional. Hmmmm. . .

It's amazing what science can do with chopped pork shoulder
          Last edited by Leonidas; February 23, 2002, 22:32.

Comment

• Where's the I play both option?

That's what I would choose. Why force yourself to choose just 1 when they both have their good features (and you have an 80 Gigabyte hard disk?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonny
              Where's the I play both option?

That's what I would choose. Why force yourself to choose just 1 when they both have their good features (and you have an 80 Gigabyte hard disk?)
              After > 100 posts... someone finally found equilibrium and harmony!

I've got 3 computers in my office... 2 days ago I was playing CTP + Cradle on 1, trying out CIV3 1.17f on 2 and evangelising on this thread on the other.

... And a huge craving for Spam a L'orange .

Happy days!
              Last edited by exeter0; February 23, 2002, 12:59.
              ------------------------------------
              Cheers
              Exeter.
              -------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Raion
                I always missed messages in CTP2, and I soon got tired of it.
                Unlike Civ3, CTP2 saves all of the old messages and they can easily be reviewed by clicking the "Message" button in the lower right hand side. It's having handy little features like this that puts CTP2's design over Civ3. Civ3 was better exicuted then CTP2 but CTP2 was much better layed out.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• cradle

I have to say that cradle, to me, is the game that civ3 should have been.

If the modders can somehow link cradle and crusade together this will be the ultimate civ type game. I think they are working on it now.

Cradle really does kick ass

Comment

• Is it possible to model culture and strategic resources in CTP II?

I wouldn't have thought CTPII's 'modability' would extend that far... but I thought I would ask.
                    Cheers
                    Exeter.

Comment

• Originally posted by exeter0

After > 100 posts... someone finally found equilibrium and harmony!

I've got 3 computers in my office... 2 days ago I was playing CTP + Cradle on 1, trying out CIV3 1.17f on 2 and evangelising on this thread on the other.

... And a huge craving for Spam a L'orange .

Happy days!

exeter0: Yes, it's true - a person CAN play both CTP2 AND Civ3 and live to tell the tale. . .

3 computers? Pure Utopia

SPAM:

You're making me hungry again! And I just ran out of Tang flavour crystals

What is SPAM?

Is it:

Pig meat.
                      Dog meat.
                      Rodent meat.
                      Armadillo meat.
                      Congealed, dyed lard.
                      Dyed salt licks.
                      Maps, spelled backwards?

What does "SPAM" stand for?

Is it:

Spiced Ham.
                      Specially Processed Army Meat.
                      Specially Processed Armadillo Meat.
                      Super Pink Artificial Meat.
                      Squirrel, Possum, And Mouse.
                      Silly People Ate More.
                      Salted Pork And More.
                      Truth, Justice, And The American Way. . .?

No matter its source, or chemical composition, it is truly a weekend cuisine; every man’s Pate de Foie Gras. . .

*Sniff* All this talk about SPAM is making me nostalgic and it ain't even my birthday. . .

Some say that love inspires the creation of great music; but memories of aged, jellied meat by-products fills me with visions of writing SPAM HAIKU. . .
                      Last edited by Leonidas; February 23, 2002, 22:28.

Comment

• Originally posted by exeter0
                        Is it possible to model culture and strategic resources in CTP II?
                        Strategic resources: yes, is being worked on.

Culture: can't be copied directly due to limitations of the UI and stuff, but similar concepts already exist and are being worked on (religion being the most important one - it could end up being CtP2's equivilant of Civ3's culture).
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonidas
                          3 computers? Pure Utopia
                          Pah! I got 21 to play around with(yah you show-off CoT!)
                          And i think it is possible to play Civ3 and modded CTP2 and be happy and balanced in life
                          (I just won't own Civ3 till it has multiplayer )
                          I've played 'Strategy' games since the mid 80's, the first one was called 'Kingdom' in 1984 on a BBCmicro(a british made computer-yeah we used to do that too!)it was black and white but had something to offer over the crop of platform games that was the bread+butter of early games. There were revolutionary games like 'Elite'(You try and fit nearly a whole galaxy into 16-32k!),some great adventure/rpg titles and of course in 1990 there was a game called 'Civilisation'.That game and 'UFO-enemy unknown' were heads and shoulders above the competition, unless you were an action fan then you played Mechwarrior instead.Then of course came CivII which was an awesome improvement over the origonal, i remember when i first saw it and the isometric graphics really blew you away(!).It felt like a major step-up from the origonal.We were all happy for a few years.SMAC came along and did some different stuff, some liked it some didn't.
                          I was secretly waiting for Civ3(while playing AOE etc) when along came Activision with Call to Power, it looked(on the box) like the next evolution for Civ - and it did have it's charms, even if you had to unlearn some of those Civ habbits.Anyway, i played it and got my moneys worth. Then the first bit of news about Civ3 started to circulate...it was being worked on - great.Then Call to Power II came out - it seemed to have improved on the concepts of all the Civ games that had preceded it.I bought it and boy did it stink!I played game after game and only was attacked once or twice, and that was never sustained.Still if you liked to just emipre build it was very nice, had improved combat(over CivII),stack movement,more indepth diplomacy - BUT it was obviously rushed out by the publisher before it was properly finished. And it sufferd because of it - if Activision had taken a month or two longer to polish it up it would have been an instant classic.Still i was very pissed to have, as i felt, more or less wasted good money on an unfinished game.It was then that i stumbled on game forums and Apolyton and could see i wasn't the only one who felt ripped off.I'd learn't my lesson and decided i'd only make informed game purchase's from then on.I haven't bought anything published by Activision since.
                          What HAS this got to do with this thread? well it's something like this.
                          I now really enjoy CTP2. I gave it another chance to remove that bitter taste over the whole feeling of being ripped off.
                          I learned(a bit of trial and error involved) to download and install the various Mods from the CTP2 forum.
                          I have now, what i feel to be nearly the perfect version of 'Civ' for me.I can play multiplayer against my mates and have recently picked up a second copy of the game for £9.99 from HMV in London, so i can run two ongoing multiplayer game sessions to cater for different levels of player.
                          Please don't be blinded by your first experience of CTP2, as Civ-fans(cause we all are ) it does have something to offer you. It plays a decent single player game with the Craddle Mod/MedMod and each is unique.
                          Check it out - i'm more than pleased. And lets not get so negative vis-a-vis which is best. Anything that helps us to more choice over the type of 'Civ' game we want is a good thing
                          Hats of to the guys who made it possible to enjoy CTP2
                          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARES10
                            Ctp: few hours. Most wasted money ever!
                            Ctp2: never never (even if someone pays me money, I will not waste my time).
                            Same here. I paid cash for CTP , did not get my money's worth, will not return for CTP2 even though it can be fixed by fans to be a halfway decent game.

Rik

Comment

• To 'The Thinker'...

Not much thought behind that post!
                              Cheers
                              Exeter.

Comment

• You may not like his opinion, but it's on topic, while most of your posts are off topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X