Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pop-rushing and tech trading...

I just wanted to clarify a few issues.

First, pop rushing has not been eliminated. A few change, however, have been made. You can not sacrifice over half the population of you city anymore. Also, city unhappiness can "go negative," which means if your city has 1 citizen and 4 have been sacrificed recently, you will need 4 happiness points (from temples, luxuries, military units, whatever...) to keep that 1 citizen from being unhappy. In previous versions, just having a spearman in the city was enough to keep that 1 citizen content, even if you had sacrificed an infinite number of citizens.

Second, the AI will no longer trade techs during your turn.
    - What's that?
    - It's a cannon fuse.
    - What's it for?
    - It's for my cannon.

good work
    Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Hmm... Better and better. Terribly sorry for asking the following question in yet another thread, but I think it may be important. And it'd be great to hear from you Soren if you can answer this:

Have you upgraded the AI so that it is aware of the fact that culture flipping can be avoided by having more units present? Or is there a different rule for cities with no foreign nationals? I'm thinking about AI cities which border a civ with greater culture...

I think this could be significant because if the AI does pump up border city units to prevent flipping then we have a greater challenge, and if not then the wily human player will have all the advantages of culture and none of the disadvantages.

Thanks,

V

(edited for typos)
      Last edited by volcanohead; February 14, 2002, 14:02.

Comment

Does this mean you can exploit the AI like you could before the first patch by trading for a tech and selling it to all other civs during your turn? I only played a few games after the first patch because I desperately wanted stacked movement, so forgive me if there was some other changes to compensate for this that I did not become fully aware of.

Comment

Re: pop-rushing and tech trading...

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
          Second, the AI will no longer trade techs during your turn.
          The fix about pop rush makes sense thanks for the clarification, however, I still have a concern about trading techs on other players turns. The fix you have implimented will work well on a single player game but I am concerned about what impact it will have on future Multiplayer games.
          In MP games it seems like the game would be slightly more entertaining if the other players could conduct diplomacy when it is another players turn. Negotiations can sometimes take up a lot of time so by allowing Human players to conduct diplomacy "around the clock" we can minimize wasted time and give the other players something to do while they wait. Just my two cents...
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

And now I'm really shooting myself in the foot: I'm sure all the Apolyton members really appreciate the information you've provided today, before the release of the patch. However, it seems to me that you could perhaps make your lives easier by providing a bit more detail in the original readme.txt... It happened in the last patch and it's happening again now that there appear to be several itmes left missing from the readme (tech-trading) or left poorly explained (pop-rushing). This is not a whine, as obviously you provide this information anyway in this forum, in response to our questions.

I just wonder if it's not easier for you guys to provide more information in the readme??

Cheers

V

Comment

Re: Re: pop-rushing and tech trading...

Originally posted by Oerdin
              The fix about pop rush makes sense thanks for the clarification, however, I still have a concern about trading techs on other players turns. The fix you have implimented will work well on a single player game but I am concerned about what impact it will have on future Multiplayer games.
              In MP games it seems like the game would be slightly more entertaining if the other players could conduct diplomacy when it is another players turn. Negotiations can sometimes take up a lot of time so by allowing Human players to conduct diplomacy "around the clock" we can minimize wasted time and give the other players something to do while they wait. Just my two cents...
              Yes, that is true, but the AIs can do a trade mush faster.
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Pembleton
                Does this mean you can exploit the AI like you could before the first patch by trading for a tech and selling it to all other civs during your turn? I only played a few games after the first patch because I desperately wanted stacked movement, so forgive me if there was some other changes to compensate for this that I did not become fully aware of.
                Well, I suppose so, but the AI is now _much_ more aggressive about trading techs with each other, on their own turn.
                - What's that?
                - It's a cannon fuse.
                - What's it for?
                - It's for my cannon.

Comment

As if they werent enough already
                  Up The Millers

Comment

Just wanted to post my thanks to Soren for the clarification...

Nice job on the patch. I'm looking forward to playing it. Overall, I think it's pretty clear that Firaxis has paid some attention to the playability complaints here and on other boards, and has worked to address them.

Of course, collectively speaking, we're never going to be 100% satisfied.
                    Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

Re: pop-rushing and tech trading...

I just wanted to clarify a few issues.

First, pop rushing has not been eliminated. A few change, however, have been made. You can not sacrifice over half the population of you city anymore. Also, city unhappiness can "go negative," which means if your city has 1 citizen and 4 have been sacrificed recently, you will need 4 happiness points (from temples, luxuries, military units, whatever...) to keep that 1 citizen from being unhappy. In previous versions, just having a spearman in the city was enough to keep that 1 citizen content, even if you had sacrificed an infinite number of citizens.
                      Excellent news. Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering how poprushing would work - as you describe it, the changes will have no effect on my strategy.

Thanks Soren.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by volcanohead
                        However, it seems to me that you could perhaps make your lives easier by providing a bit more detail in the original readme.txt... It happened in the last patch and it's happening again now that there appear to be several itmes left missing from the readme (tech-trading) or left poorly explained (pop-rushing).
                        I think it's a simple of matter of that they are too "close" to the information. It might have seemed obvious to them when they say something, because they have been working on it so closely. Where as, to somebody that hasn't... some of it might not be as clear as intended.

I really don't think that misunderstanding will become clear until after they have printed something. And since they are doing a fine job of clearing up any misconceptions... they are probably doing the best they can

Again... thanks for the info.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I must agree. I'm impressed both by the patch and Firaxis' follow up.
                          "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Well, I suppose so, but the AI is now _much_ more aggressive about trading techs with each other, on their own turn.
                            Teriffic! Have you made any other adjustments to AI behavior that aren't mentioned in the readme?

Thanks for keeping us informed!

-ollie-

Comment

well, i guess that means meeting other civs first is now even more important, and trading communications away should be avoided... seems to benefit the explorer more than the trader now.
                              it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Working...
                              X