No announcement yet.

Planes can't sink ships, DEAL WITH IT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should add that planes should also be able to be shot down by ships. Ironclads (maybe, given their turrets, and elevating guns...) and all later ships should have an AA capability, with the AEGIS cruiser being the best. Aircraft should also have resistances to being shot down, depending on their age. A Fighter would be immolated by an AEGIS, or even a BB or DD. However, a Stealth bomber would be able to get away with nearly anything.

Steele
    If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

sinking ships

Steelehc-read my message up a few notiches. I mentioned that if 3 of 4 HP are lost then it could be viewed as 3 orf 4 SHIPS lost. We have to deal with the fact that in Civ3 planes do not sink ships but the damage can be construed as ships lost in a TF Damage repair is replacing lost ships.

Comment

I read and understood your post. My question, then, is why can an air attack sink three of four ships in a "task force," but not the fourth? What is so special about the last remaining ship that makes it invulnerable to air attack?

Steele
        If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

steel, IIRC ships can only repair in port. Am I mistaken?
          Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

I though that ships could repair anywhere, as long as they didn't move on a given turn. However, I haven't used any ships in the last couple weeks, I can't remember... Could someone please confirm or deny this for me?? In any case, whether or not they can repair anywhere or in port, they should be limited to repairing in port only.

Steele

PS:Ironikinit, thanks for bringing that up. I feel like a fool.

Comment

steelech

Just to live within the games peramaters.I think it a least sounds better then a single DD gets damage by a single AC. I think each ship reps. a TF or Desron or Fast BB etc. and hits are losses,seems to me better that way then single ships and planes. I do not believe an infantry man = 1 guy with a rifle?So why should a single ship or plane = 1 of each?
              I do notice that all units seem to repair themselves after each turn even if they are in Tundra. There probably should be a base they shoukd return to for repairs i.e Civ2.

Comment

Re: steelech

I don't mean that a Destroyer unit is one DD, or an infantry unit is one guy with a rifle, or that a size nine city has a population of nine. What I meant was that if a Destroyer unit represents seven DDs, and it is attacked by bombers, and has one hp left, there is one ship remaining in the destroyer squadron. Why can this one ship not be sunk by another attack?

I agree with you on repairing units, they should be able to repair only in certain areas, like cities and forts maybe...

Steele

Comment

Re: Re: steelech

Originally posted by steelehc
                  I don't mean that a Destroyer unit is one DD, or an infantry unit is one guy with a rifle, or that a size nine city has a population of nine. What I meant was that if a Destroyer unit represents seven DDs, and it is attacked by bombers, and has one hp left, there is one ship remaining in the destroyer squadron. Why can this one ship not be sunk by another attack?

I agree with you on repairing units, they should be able to repair only in certain areas, like cities and forts maybe...

Steele
                  For those who don't know:
                  In Civ3 ships can only be repaired in PORTS.

SO 1hp ship on open is sitting duck for your ships.

Or better,

Cruise missiles! (if in range)

Comment

A completely unrealistic and nonsensical feature has been put into the game... DEAL WITH IT!!!

Comment

repairs

Not ponly that but if you noticed during WW2 the Japanese tended to depart the battle when they suffered losses,at sea that is. They never seem to return to finish the Job, in most cases not all.

Comment

DrFell: It is an unrealistic feature, and I am trying to deal with it by suggesting ways to "fix" the problem.

roalan: The Japanese were not the only ones to use aircraft to attack ships. Their hesistancy to "finish off" Allied shipping was largely due to their lack of manufacturing capability, ie, limited ability to replace downed aircraft; and limited amounts of fuel. Besides, the simple fact that the Japanese did not do something does not mean it cannot be done.

Steele

Comment

Player1: thanks much. I suppose that makes sense, but with this game, you never know.

EDIT: Can cruise missiles sink ships?

Steele

Comment

Originally posted by steelehc
                            DrFell: It is an unrealistic feature, and I am trying to deal with it by suggesting ways to "fix" the problem.
                            Good my post was only an answer to the thread title anyway...

Comment

Japanese Bug out

I can think of a few i.e Taffy 3 ,Pearl Harbor (there was not shortages in 1941) Coral Sea,Yamamoto countermanded Inouye's order and sent him back after the Americans but by then it was to late.There were no shortages then either.

Comment

roalan: The Japanese had material shortages the entire war. They knew that if they lost a plane, it would be some time before they could replace it. You are forgetting that the Japanese were not the only ones to attack ships with planes.

DrFell: Sorry, I missed the point of your post.

Steele

Comment

Working...
                                X