No announcement yet.

Are there any other games like CIV3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just looked on their website, seems like SuperPower is going to be another rush job - one of the main programmers responded to a sensible suggestion on their discussion boards by saying something like 'good idea, I'd love to start from scratch again but we're having to go as it is now because of publisher deadlines. Check it out in vers 2...'

And apparently the combat engine is 25% finished now and their looking for a spring 2002 release. Uh-oh.

Comment

this is pushing it, but discipiles 2 is kinda like civ. (cities land boundries, armies/groups, city imp's)

Comment

"Are there any other games like CIV3?"

If you mean "are there any other games that were poorly developed & released too early, and thereby drove away a good portion of its pre-release fan base?" then you may want to check out WWII-online.

Comment

Now, I'm waiting for Superpower.. It looks like it will be a great game.. Check it out at http://www.golemlabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by volcanohead
            Just looked on their website, seems like SuperPower is going to be another rush job - one of the main programmers responded to a sensible suggestion on their discussion boards by saying something like 'good idea, I'd love to start from scratch again but we're having to go as it is now because of publisher deadlines. Check it out in vers 2...'

And apparently the combat engine is 25% finished now and their looking for a spring 2002 release. Uh-oh.
            Noooo..
            Hey, I've got an idea, why don't we all go to superpower forum and warn the programmer/publisher so they won't make the same mistake like Firaxis did..

Comment

Originally posted by zergling

Noooo..
              Hey, I've got an idea, why don't we all go to superpower forum and warn the programmer/publisher so they won't make the same mistake like Firaxis did..
              I haven't played the SuperPower demo because it's too big for me to download, but some of the people who have are happy, and some are not.

In the end, we can only wait until the finished product because the game developers have said that the demo is just an early beta.

It's necessary to remember that these are just games, people. Companies make the games they want to make, and if we don't like them, we don't have to play them.

If certain people on this forum think they can do better, then they should do so.

As far as Golem making "the same mistake like Firaxis did," you can't be serious....

If Civ 3, which at least one US gaming magazine called the "Game of the Year," did not meet YOUR impossibly high expectations, then don't play it. Why are you here? Go play something that you like.

Many forums would not tolerate the sort of hysterical abuse that certain Civ-obsessed grief players come here to dish out.

Some of these people should go to a forum like the Championship Manager message boards and try to behave like children, and see what it gets them.

They will be flamed brutally by the Championship Manager player community, and then banned by the moderators.

People who have nothing to do with their time except come on Apolyton and gnaw the "I hate Civ 3" bone should start up their own website and do it there.

I am not a frequent visitor to this site, mainly because of certain people who hijack every thread with the same old crap...

Comment

Originally posted by HisMajestyBOB
                Europa Universalis II is awesome, but may be too "upper class" for some Civ players.
                Yes it is an awesome game, but I'm still trying to get a feel for it. While I play and enjoy a lot of strategy games, including Civ 3, they are all very different.

What you get out of them depends on your mood at the time. Sometimes people can be in the mood for one thing one day, another thing one day.

One of the most pleasant dilemmas is to look at your screen and say, "There are several good possibilities...what do I feel like playing now?"

Sometimes you don't feel like playing anything, so you just go read a book.

Comment

the rerason champman forums arew like that is cos the game is so good there aint much to complain about, except match engine but they fixed that in last CM.

and when CM3 came out with bugs and problems, they fixed em within a month. within as month you had a complete game that was even better then what was planned.
                  eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
                    the rerason champman forums arew like that is cos the game is so good there aint much to complain about, except match engine but they fixed that in last CM.

No...there are complaints on the Championship Manager forum. The day the game was released in the UK there were complaints about inaccurate teams, inadequate research, the possibility of unrealistically creating impossible-to-beat formations, unrealistic money amounts, the opposing team almost always scoring the the first 3 minutes of play, etc etc...many people complained about the game being not different enough from CM3 and therefore not worthy of being called a new game... Some felt cheated out of their money.

But it does not descend to the stinkbomb-throwing level you find on this forum. People who constantly make the same gripes the same mean-spirited way, just because it's the Internet and they can do anything with near-anonymity, are banned, temporarily or permanently.

People who define their whole lives in terms of being an "authority" on a computer game, and who try to make "reputations" for themselves by tearing down something a great many people enjoy, are not permitted to do so.

Comment

And it's too bad all the tiresome shills and apologists Firaxis may hire to come to this forum to tell us how "fabulous!!!!" this VERY flawed game is are not "banned".

But, oh no. The Firaxis apologists come here and with their anonymity throw THEIR Web stink bombs to personally attack and flame anyone who has the rudimentary sense to see how disappointing and often nonsensical Civ III truly is.

Being unable to defend themselves with facts or logic, I am certain indeed that all the puerile fanboys have a site where only those in love with Civ III are permitted. I bet Firaxis may want to sponsor them!

Comment

In my opinion civ3 is better than empire earth
                        Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

I have civ3 and Empire Earth. I like them both - but they are completely different. civ3 is turn-based. EE is real-time and is very much a nuke-the-b*ds type of game. I play it when I DON'T want a challenge! The graphics and scenarios are great, though. If this is what Encomium wants civ3 to be then I am not surprised he is disappointed. If I want to play a game that's like EE, then I... er.... play EE.

I don't have SMAC but it appears to be an SF/fantasy game - while what I like is a game that takes you from the stone age to the present or beyond. Currently I am playing CTP2 which has lots of features I'd like to see in Civ3

- no workers! if you want to improve a tile you just do it, if you have the money.

- more civs

- more techs

- more units

- better management screens - you can actually manage your cities while the AI is shuffling units around the screen!

but.... the AI is useless. In my current game the AI has been bombing the same city for hundreds of years without sending in ground forces. In civ3 if a civ declares war on me I feel a sudden need to visit the "john" !

Comment

I bought CTP2 and could never get into it. It just seemed to take so long to make a turn and thus I alwasy fealt I was playing in order to complete the game, rather than for entertainment. Civ3 I do like, but it does have its problems. SMAC was a great game. I think ploletic rather than nationality are a great basis to build factions round.

Comment

For Sci-Fi TBS try Space Empires IV

its a very entertaining game that is unbelievably modifiable and has the best manufacturer support I have ever seen (patches amost monthly with not only bug fixes, but game improvements and additions). The AI is a bit week (greatly improved in the gold version which could almost be a new game), but is much improved in some user created races available on the publishers website. Its the only game I've spent more time playing than the Civ series

Comment

Originally posted by Encomium
                                Do a Web search for "EMPIRE EARTH".

It has gotten BETTER reviews from the public than Civ III. Really.
                                Empire Earth is nothing like Civ. It is an RTS game "advancing" eras only requires collecting enough resources to buy your way to the next level. And it sux.

There are very few games like Civ. As a TBS game it requires a thoughtful plan and more than just a fast mouse finger.

BTW, EU sux too, but once again you can't compare it to civ because it is a different type of game.
                                Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Working...
                                X