Are there any other games like CIV3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any other games like CIV3?

I like strategy/geo-political games. CIV3 is one of the best i've played but i've only played Civ2 and all the CTP games, i thought civ2 was cool when it first came out but CTP sucked for some reason. ( the way it was set up i guess). I also saw this game called SuperPower on the internet thats supposed to come this spring that looks like it'll blow Civ3 away!

I like the HARDCORE realism games the best. This superpower game looks better than anything i've ever seen b4. I also logged onto gamespot.com and saw this game called "Cyberjudas"...is this game any good? I like the realism and micro management type games. Is Europa Unerversalis (?) any good?

Has anybody played a strategy game that they think is better than Civ3? I wanna try another one out. Civ3 is pretty cool but i'd rather play a more in depth game that is more complicated. or is this the best one??

1609? Something like that.. the year isn't right. Kind of a cool game.

Moo3 is coming out.

Alpha Centuari of course is great, I still play it from time to time.

ImO .. civ3 rules. Hard to beat. Hope they come out with more games like it or better then it.

Comment

SMAC--it has a steeper learning curve than the rest of the Civ series, but after you've played it, you'll have a better understanding about why some of us are complaining so much about Civ III.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
        SMAC--it has a steeper learning curve than the rest of the Civ series, but after you've played it, you'll have a better understanding about why some of us are complaining so much about Civ III.
        Civ 3 does have its downsides. I still enjoy playing it much more then Smax though. I do still play smax, love the simplicity sometimes (and the multiplayer).

Steeper learning curve? Not sure, seems pretty basic. You got energy, food and minerals. That's it! Guess I have played it (smax) for SO MANY hours upon hours (upon hours upon hours) I just don't remember learning it. Just seems as easy as chewing gum.

Comment

Try thinking back--way back--to when you first saw that interface...

edit:...or customized a unit...or made an SE choice...or used a crawler...etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
            Try thinking back--way back--to when you first saw that interface...
            It's odd how different people react completely differently to the same thing. I think the SMAC/X interface is one of the best (although not perfect, of course). Very intuitive if you played Civ2, with other thoughtful touches. Civ3's interface is better in some ways, worse in others.

What was hard for me was the abstract nature of the science-fiction techs and units. But even so, after playing a while I grew to appreciate their internal consistency and logic.

Comment

Oh, once I understood it, I loved it--it was getting to understand that was the problem for me. I distinctly remember staring at it for a half hour trying to do...something. It second nature now.

I just thank God they didn't use tiny ten pixel buttons back then...

Comment

To answer your question...

Yes, I think you will enjoy Europa Universalis very much. All those looking for Historical realism should play it. It is also the first truly revolutionary turn based strategy game since CIV I and Warlords.

MOOIII is one we will all be buying when it comes out.

SMAC has the most detail of all the games in the lineage, but also has the most tedium (... yet another round of upgrades...), so you may or may not consider it a step up from CIV III.

Master of Orion (I not II) and Master of Magic are classics, but AIs have come a long way since then.

Comment

i never got into Moo and moo2, nor SMAC (although i thouroghly enjoy/enjoued it). the reas with Moo serires was the combat and the colonisatioon. i just didnt like it. although, i enjoyed them when i first played - they were different. just not my kinda game.

SMAC was brilliant in very area except it was to nerdy Sci-Fi star trek convention typo game. and i like games on earth (if civ3 was built on the SMAC engine i woulndt be here now.)

Europa Universalis. Depth, strategey, diplomacy, war, economy, colonialism, all historical, all brilliant. the civ series compared the EU series? like comparing fish and chips to caviar.
                  eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Europa is a bugfest, but the fun of playing as a forgotten nation like Venice or the Hanseatic League is amazing.

Comment

Re: Are there any other games like CIV3?

Originally posted by Hazard
                      I also saw this game called SuperPower on the internet thats supposed to come this spring that looks like it'll blow Civ3 away!

I like the HARDCORE realism games the best. This superpower game looks better than anything i've ever seen b4. ... I like the realism and micro management type games...
                      You might want to check back on the SuperPower forum. The demo appears to reveal some problems. The game sounds promising, though. But I hope it will not be just another "blow stuff up" wargame.

Hardcore realism? Well, it will be difficult to find that in a game. These are just games, after all. Every game abstracts some elements of the experience. With SP, the demo players seem to be playing it like a wargame. That in itself is not realistic, because in the real world that kind of "build lots of nukes and launch them at everybody just for fun" stuff does not happen.

If you like micromanagement and sci-fi, try Space Empires IV. Its not a 3-D shoot em up, but of course real strategy gamers don't need real flashy graphics. You basically expand from your home planet and conquer the galaxy. The diplomatic and trade model is decent, and you of course do R&D and build various types of ships. You can even go down to the level of naming individual ships.

The modding community is quite strong, so you can deploy a navy of Klingon warships (from Star Trek, in case you're not too familiar with the Trek universe), Romulans, etc etc. There are many things about the game you can modify yourself.

Another good game if you like micromanagement is Capitalism II. Hardcore business sim. Great game. Produce stuff, mount hostile corporate takeovers, etc.

I got Europa Universalis II recently and I'm still trying to learn it, but it looks good...

And then of course there's Alpha Centauri. A game that will never leave my hard drive....

Comment

Europa Universalis II is awesome, but may be too "upper class" for some Civ players. And its fairly stable and fast, as long as you have 128 or more Ram. Personally, I've had maybe 3 CTDs over several months (RL) of playing.
                        A proud citizen of the only convicted terrorist harboring nation!

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!

Comment

Do a Web search for "EMPIRE EARTH".

It has gotten BETTER reviews from the public than Civ III. Really.

Comment

Re: Re: Are there any other games like CIV3?

Originally posted by Antonin

You might want to check back on the SuperPower forum. The demo appears to reveal some problems. The game sounds promising, though. But I hope it will not be just another "blow stuff up" wargame.
                            Where is this forum?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Are there any other games like CIV3?

Originally posted by Be Quicker

Where is this forum?
                              I think it's at www.golemlabs.com

Comment

Working...
                              X