No announcement yet.

Have you gotten your money's worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's done the shoddy work here? Do you even know which employees have done what on civ 3?

Because even if you dislike the game, I find it hard to believe you think the implementation is shoddy, as oposed to the design.

Comment

I really can't believe that so so many people have voted for this dumbed down game for monkeys. There is so much wrong with this game that I expect that most of the votes are not from people who have played Civ from the beginning. and now ctp2 is going to be transformed into the ultimate civ game and the monkeys are still in the trees eating bananas.

I hope you enjoy

Comment

Buddy you simply dont get it do you???

Your post amounts to nothing more than saying:

"They made a comercial product that sells and therefore its ok to have a crappy game if it makes money."

You have spent whole post explaining to me how it's the "reality", that the only point to the game is to sell it and make money.

You completely miss the argument. My problem is about the GAME ITSELF!

To distil it further for you:

"Civ III fails miserably to follow the standard of previous Civs!"

Can you please be relevant and post comment that is related to this point.

You basically go into a rant about the market reality or making money or such. How about comment that relates to the quality of the game please???

Otherwise, your post is nothing more than trying to think of an excuse for Firaxis.

"Well the game sucks but it sells and that is why they are all about!" seems to be your whole argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Boney
          I really can't believe that so so many people have voted for this dumbed down game for monkeys.
          Your opinion... obviously, MANY people disagree with your opinion.

There is so much wrong with this game that I expect that most of the votes are not from people who have played Civ from the beginning
          And just what do you base this opinion on... While I find there are things that need to be fixed, I feel I'm getting my money worth out of the product. And I've been playing from the beginning...

I just love watching the people that hate the game rant and rave when polls like this show them that the world doesn't agree with their opinion... Based on this poll... face the facts. Only one out of four feel like they were cheated. While that isn't good, it still shows that many more people like the game then hate it.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Wow, what a disillusioned life I've led.

Originally, I thought I liked this game (Civ3) because I have fun when I play it, and it makes me happy.

Boy, what a silly thing that is. I should have known that those aren't what makes a good game. I should have done an in-depth analysis of how it compares to other games, like CTP2 or SMAC. And I should have found out the salaries of every Firaxis employee on the project to see if they really earned their pay or were caught slacking on the job (like replying to forumites when they should be programming). Those are the true standards for measuring whether it's worth my time and money. Fun? What's fun got to do with it?

I also should have seen if there were other people who didn't like it, and if there were, then I better not like it myself, because that will make me a juvenile brown-nosing idiot in their eyes. Heaven forbid that should happen.

Don't I know how flawed it is? Or how unrealistic? Or how much worse it is compared to some other game? Or how the Firaxis people don't respond to our complaints? Nope. And I don't care. I just play the game and have fun.

Comment

Wow A reply from the Magnificent Ming the Merciless.

Originally posted by Boney
              "I really can't believe that so so many people have voted for this dumbed down game for monkeys."

Originally posted by Ming
              "Your opinion... obviously, MANY people disagree with your opinion."

Firstly the fact that I don't believe something is not an opinion, it is a belief. (Der stupid, too many beers and now whisky, I believed what I said, but now I can't opinion what chronus has just replied, thanks for pointing this out, man I must down another glass to get over the puzzlement. Thank you Chronus for showing that these two words, though similar, are not the same. I can't believe what happened on sept 11, but it did, is this my opinion?)

Yes to call the game dumbed down is my opinion, but any player of civ2 or ctp cannot deny that there are less choices in civ3.

Firstly agriculture, is it right that there were many agricultural improvements from the beginnning of time to the present day? Was this not reflected in the upgrading of farmland in civ2, ctp1&2. Is this reflected in civ3?

secondly, where are the choices of government? were there not more governments in previous games?

Thirdly, the tech tree, has the tech for for civ3 been pruned or not? Is the choice af tech now easier to make?

I could go on but this long enough already and it has all been said before.

There is so much wrong with this game that I expect that most of the votes are not from people who have played Civ from the beginning... And just what do you base this opinion on...
              This is based on people who I know that play civ/ctp. Some who were the newbies loved the game while the old timers found it a bit disillusioning. Also I think that for the first few games I liked civ3 too, it just does not last the pace.

How long were they in developing the game?

I just love watching the people that hate the game rant and rave when polls like this show them that the world doesn't agree with their opinion... Based on this poll... face the facts. Only one out of four feel like they were cheated. While that isn't good, it still shows that many more people like the game then hate it.
              I love watching the ranters and ravers too especially when I am one of them

Based on the pol...face the facts, only just over 40% are totally happy. 40% not happy (though some 'not yet' happy), and 20% on the edge (happy but only just). This shows that probably 60% think something is lacking. I also know that if I had voted after only having played three games I would have voted with the totally happy people.

Note that I did not say 40% hated the game, or that 60% did not like the game. But I did say that 40% were totally happy.
              Last edited by Boney; February 9, 2002, 00:56.

Comment

Firstly the fact that I don't believe something is not an opinion, it is a belief.

I can't believe I just read this.

Well, since we had a dictionary war earlier in the thread (or, perhaps, it was another thread), I will quote the following from . . . what else . . . a dictionary:

"belief 1. something believed; OPINION; conviction."

Part of this amusing mass of confusion is how we all interpret the poll. Those who dislike the game view the top choice as a "good game" category and the remaining choices as "bad game" categories. Those who like the game view the top two choices as "good game" categories and the remaining ones as "bad game" categories. Nevermind the fact that the last category, "Not yet", should really be left out of both "good" and "bad" categories . . . in my own opinion . . . er, I mean, belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Chronus
                  Nevermind the fact that the last category, "Not yet", should really be left out of both "good" and "bad" categories . . . in my own opinion . . . er, I mean, belief.
                  it should be in the "bad" category, it just has potential to move into the "good" category at some future date, if certain conditions are met. you're wrong
                  Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

there is a new poll where you can rank all the following:

1. Civ 3's value compared to what you paid for it
                    2. Civ 3's value compared to other games you typically play
                    3. Civ 3's value compared to the Civilization legacy

hopefully that might clear up some confusion. but who knows. someone inevitably complains about polls being biased but I may as well try.

cheers!
                    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Working...
                    X